Hey guys
I've taken on a duty to master all the basic styles at a decent level.
The styles i'm currently aiming are
-Blues
-Funk
-Jazz
-Fusion (actually aiming for a more than decent level)
-Neo classical
-Bossa
-Fingerstyle/Accoustic kinda Flamingoish
-Rock

Now what i want to do is learn songs from each category (about 3 for each) to enhance my playing abilities/techniques for each style.
Could you guys reccommend me songs to learn or maybe excercises for the styles?

I wanna play each style at a decent level. Right now my playing i would say is very..humdrum so to speak all my licks and ideas keep repeating eventhough i might be improvising on a different style backingtrack.

Thanks a bunch guys
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Sep 27, 2010,
well for blues there are so many great things you can learn.....
plenty of rock songs use blues techniques....
my sugestions of some fun ones are Gary Moore's "Still Got the Blues".... theres some nice lead licks and pretty cool rhythm stuff here... you should try some Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King, or T bone walker...... they all of have some interesting phrases and some really fun bending stuff for blues.....

When it comes to rock, can you be a little more specific... i dunno if you wanna learn modern rock, classic rock, punk rock, pop rock, etc.... so i guess ill give you some fun examples of each....

Modern Rock:
Come As You Are - Nirvana
Plush - Stone Temple Pilots
Man in the Box - Alice in Chains
Evenflow - Pearl Jam

Clasic Rock:
Immigrant Song - Led Zepplin
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Walk This Way - Aerosmith
Back in Black - AC/DC
Come Together - The Beatles
Love Her Madly - The Doors

Punk Rock:
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Welcome to Paradise - Green Day
Self Esteem - The Offspring

Pop Rock:
With Arms Wide Open - Creed
How You Remind Me - Nickelback
Kryptonite - 3 Doors down

I don't really know any good examples of any of the other types of music you want to learn, but I know that Rage Against the Machine does use alot of Funk thechniques when it comes to guitar, so you can check them out for funk riffs....

I hope this list helps you....
Well
i guess by rock isn't really my top priority. I've played it quite alot and i do have a decent level for it.

As for funk, i mean something really funky
Im talking about Jazz funk. Real funk :>
I'd like to learn the basic/typical licks and fills.

There are alot of stuff to learn in blues. I guess i'm looking to learn some typical blues licks and rhythm parts. and blues phrasing. Imma look up som Vaughan and King stuff. Also Gary Moore

Now i'm really interested in fusion. I guess i'm gonna learn some Greg Howe stuff. or Larry Carlton.

I'm not really sure what i shuold learn for Neo-Classical.
I guess some Gilbert stuff, but im not sure really

Even a little bit of jazz is... a lot of jazz. It requires a large chunk of theory to really begin to understand it, and to understand improvising over it.

Also, Yngwie Malmsteen is an epic Neo-Classical guitarist. Especially considering that he basically created/pioneered the genre.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Quote by BlueGreen
Even a little bit of jazz is... a lot of jazz. It requires a large chunk of theory to really begin to understand it, and to understand improvising over it.

^this^ - people devote life times to studying jazz - often times with college degrees.
I don't think learning a few songs will do much for your jazz "style". (It's not really a style)