hello all,

thanks to the pickup guide i am more knowledgeable than i was yesterday, but i'm still fuzzy on some things.

i'm thinking about buying some new humbuckers for my axe, but i still want to maintain a level of versatility. i would like to get some nice cleans, while still being able to pull out classic 90's punk crunch. though once i get down to the pickup buying guide, it seems that all the pickups that get good cleans have rough drive, and visa versa. are there any pickups that don't specialize in one area of playing? or am i being too picky?

thanks for reading,
kylee
As a rule, higher output pickups don't do the clean side of things very well since they often have less high end and sound a lot more compressed. What you sound like you need is something inbetween. There are pickups around which inhabit this fuzzy area inbetween which have enough output to drive an amp to a decent degree while at the same time they can be tamed back by turning down the preamp and compensating on the power side.

What you will probably want is a ceramic or alnico bridge pickup with an alnico neck one.

Things to look at:

Dimarzio
  • PAF pro
  • Air Norton
  • Air Zone

Seymour Duncan (I don't know as much about them so I'll just quote the classics)
  • SH-4 JB
  • SH-2 Jazz Model
I think it's a bit of an overall misconception just how output affects tone. To me, very high output pickups are overkill, and do nothing but remove a lot of the guitar's dynamic range. I can play death metal perfectly fine with PRS Dragon II pickups in a £230 basswood Schecter, most of it comes from how you EQ your amp.

Like the above poster recommended, mid output pickups, and add the Dragon II's to that list if you're feeling flush, or look at BKPs. Just don't overblow the idea that you can't get an amazing metal tone from mid output pickups
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think it's a bit of an overall misconception just how output affects tone. To me, very high output pickups are overkill, and do nothing but remove a lot of the guitar's dynamic range. I can play death metal perfectly fine with PRS Dragon II pickups in a £230 basswood Schecter, most of it comes from how you EQ your amp.

Like the above poster recommended, mid output pickups, and add the Dragon II's to that list if you're feeling flush, or look at BKPs. Just don't overblow the idea that you can't get an amazing metal tone from mid output pickups

That is what I think. If I EQ my amp right, I can play just about anything. Higher output pickups do have their place, but try not to put that first. IMO, it the amp first.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)