Hi everyone,

So I decided that my next guitar will be a Epiphone Les Paul standard Plain top. I did not really decide yet wich amp I should buy. I'm planning to play old rock and rock and some blues, like Queen, Gnr, Bryan Adams etc. Now I heard good things about the Vox VT30, since it's very suitable for this type of music. But in the same price range is the Marshall MG30FX, and since Marshall is well known for good gear, I will ask you guys what in this case would be the better amp. No stores around to test them wich sucks

I have to say I like the vox because of the storeable settings and presets, but I still want a good full sound out of the amp. No need for the amp to handle metal, won't play that

Thanks ^^
The only musical instrument is the mind of the performer, joined with the mind of the listener
Try not to name your threads as a "vs" because it sometimes can be construed as an argumentative topic, one with no end.

Anyway, regarding your choices, the Marshall MG series is a really bad amp. It has poor quality effects that sound nothing but digital, the distortion sounds are fizzy and beehive-ish, and the clean sounds are only sub-par.

The Valvetronix range from Vox VT15/30/etc. are perfect for what you're hoping to play. It has a few really nice crunch settings, and the effects are very usable and creative. If you're not interested in metal, it's ideal.

Are you just starting out on guitar? The Epiphone might not be the best guitar if you've already been playing a while. And you might be interested in a cheap valve amp, like the Blackheart Little Giant.
Get away from the MG.

I'd recommend a Vox AC4TV instead of the VT30. No built-in effects but full tube amp and it sounds great (especially for blues and rock).
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
The general consensus is that you shall never buy a MG or a Line6 Spider.

VTs are great for that kinda stuff. (I own one) I recommend checking out their latest series called VT+ out though. It could be even better.
I play for about 2/3 months now. I now play a Cort G-110 with a very small 10 watt amp. Great to start on but the sound of the amp and guitar stays very clean, and every song sounds about the same xD this is getting very frustrated so think the epi les paul would suit me, good quality, good sound for what I want to play, within budget and feels good in my hands
The only musical instrument is the mind of the performer, joined with the mind of the listener
The Marshall MG series are terrible. If you want a good Marshall sound and not spend alot of money then go with the Blackstar HT-5. Blackstar was started by two guys who use to work for Marshall. Took the good from Marshall and made it better. If money is not an issue then go with the Blackstar Club-40. I can't answer for Vox since I have never played on one.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by Narfu
I play for about 2/3 months now. I now play a Cort G-110 with a very small 10 watt amp. Great to start on but the sound of the amp and guitar stays very clean, and every song sounds about the same xD this is getting very frustrated so think the epi les paul would suit me, good quality, good sound for what I want to play, within budget and feels good in my hands

True, but don't pay money for the Standard Plus or Custom things, they're just the same thing with a fancier looking sticker on them.
Please don't buy an Epi without checking/playing the one you get first. QC is not their best selling point. If you really have to buy a guitar online or mail order, then, in the same price range, I'd seriously consider the Cort Z44. I tried one recently and the feel and finish were way above the asking price.
If you want to stick with a classic Les Paul look, Thomann are now stocking Vintage V100s at fair prices and the hardware and pickups will be much better than the Epi Standard.
The Vox amp will get you far closer to the sounds you want than a Marshall MG.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Narfu
I see what you're saying, but I personally don't believe Epiphone guitars to be all that good.

We don't have to go into it further here, but maybe you should make a thread in Electric Guitar and see what folks there say. Just a thought.
Quote by gregs1020
try a bugera v22

yea, i said it.

No Greg say it ain't so
but I may have to agree with him here
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
I will check the guitar before I will buy it on damage, cracks etc. guitar felt great to me and played well.. and about the quality, sure there are better guitars then this one, but there are always better guitars then you have. And this is a decent one, and great for me and I just like it about the amp, Vox VT30 it's gonna be! Thanks for all the comments