Hey Guys,

I have been playing guitar for roughly 7 years, and have recently picked up a Rockschool Grade 8 book/CD, in the hope of passing sometime within the next few months, which will greatly help my university application, as I'm applying for modern music universitys, which require Grade 8 from Rock School.

I have no real difficulty with the pieces, or the technical exercises (aside from the sweep picking, but its coming along alright, with practice), but I'd like to get a bit more information from those who have passed the exam, or have knowledge of it.

1. I have 2 of the piece from the book (667 and What Happened To Jazz?) down solidly, but because of the sheer banality and lack of inspiration from the disappointing pieces, I really can't be bothered to force myself to learn one more.

What free choice piece would be a good song to choose, based around feel and emotive playing, as opposed to technical?

My first instinct was to play a Fall of Troy song, as some of their songs are really technical and, as one of my favourite bands, I would be inspired to learn more, but having 667 down, I wondered if I should mix it up a bit, and play to my strengths a bit more.

Any opinions on this? What songs did you do, if you did free choice?

2. What scales to I actuall have to prepare? It says in the book "chromatically from G to B, in 6 modes", does this mean (3 octave) Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian and Aolian scales for G, G#, A, A#, B?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'd like to make either a Guitar Pro file, or simply notate the scales I need to know, for practice.

Thanking you all in advance, and I would request that if you are curious about grades etc, please do not post here, but google Rock School grades for your information.

Regards,

-Bryn
I'd learn fusion as the third piece its actually quite fun!

I'm doing Fusion, 667 and Sampa Samba for my grade 8 rockschool. The sad thing is that the G8 seems to be the best sylabus out of the rockschool ones :/
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by blue_strat
2. Just learn the CAGED shapes of the six of them.

Would you mind linking me somewhere that actually explains this system? I've been looking around, but nothing has really helped me understand it...

Quote by Shredx
I'd learn fusion as the third piece its actually quite fun!

I'm doing Fusion, 667 and Sampa Samba for my grade 8 rockschool. The sad thing is that the G8 seems to be the best sylabus out of the rockschool ones :/

Yeah, I agree the syllabus is pretty dire, I don't really enjoy playing either of the songs that I've learned, and when I don't enjoy playing a song/riff, it never feels as good, because I can't get into it.

Might sound immature, but I'd really like to use something I feel happy with, and that I can get into.
Take a look at fusion

as for the other stuff theres 2 chord sequences you need to know (all with extensions) in a variety of keys, but that isnt too bad although the 1st chord isn't the tonic which makes it harder to remember i guess.

Theres a few questions about theory which if you know are easy (ha obvious right!) and then more sight reading/repetition stuff i havnt really done
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special