I'm trying to get a warm and thick fuzz tone like J. Masics has on You're Living All Over Me. I currently have a Stratocaster and a Big Muff Pi, which I think has too dry of a distortion to really get a Masics-esque tone. Any suggestions on how to pursue this tone?
Step one: Humbuckers. Imo they give way thicker tone than single coils.
Step two: Get a good fuzz pedal. E.G. something by Devi Ever, fuzzface, etc. Devi Ever Shoegazer is amazing, if you can afford one.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Try the neck-pickup, don't dial in the tone too trebly, add mids and so on ...

BTW, an amp wouldn't hurt.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i would also like help with this

he has an awsome tone, and to adstr123, he uses a Jazzmaster, so its got wide single coils! not 'buckers
What amp you using? Because i think the thickness of his tone may come form his small army or Marshalls stacks, atleast in later recordings.

Maybe a Tube screamer with the Big muff could thicken it up and add mids too?
Quote by jaybals
i would also like help with this

he has an awsome tone, and to adstr123, he uses a Jazzmaster, so its got wide single coils! not 'buckers
What amp you using? Because i think the thickness of his tone may come form his small army or Marshalls stacks, atleast in later recordings.

Maybe a Tube screamer with the Big muff could thicken it up and add mids too?

Yes, I know. Which is why I said GET buckers.
Oh yeah, neck postition.

And actually artists use small amps in the studio to get a big sound usually. Because you can fully overdrive it and max the volume, and tube amps sound better the louder you go. Obviously this isn't always the case. Slash always goes into the studio with an army of Marshall 100 watters so....
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I don't like neck position on my guitar too much because it sounds muddy and the lower notes tend to dominate the sound, but maybe it's just my setup. I just have a cheap KUSTOM KGA10 amp for my dorm, but how important is the amp in the guitar sound?

Generally speaking, how much would it be to install humbuckers or P-90s on my Strat?
Quote by EpsilonJSTC
I don't like neck position on my guitar too much because it sounds muddy and the lower notes tend to dominate the sound, but maybe it's just my setup. I just have a cheap KUSTOM KGA10 amp for my dorm, but how important is the amp in the guitar sound?

Generally speaking, how much would it be to install humbuckers or P-90s on my Strat?

1- Try setting the tone knob higher and see if that helps

2- Your amp is pretty important in the sound, a lot of people will say like 90% of your tone is your amp, not totally sure if I agree with that number but it makes for a good general statement. A better amp might help, but seeing as you're in a dorm you don't have a lot of options, try playing with the EQ and settings on your pedals.

3- Is your Strat routed for Humbuckers? (take off the pickguard and have a look) If it is, it would only cost you the price of the pickup and other supplies.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
well use neck pickup and the tone knobs are your friends.

secondly, the EQ in your amp is your friend...and so are mids. dont scoop them unless you want a certain type of lead tone or play metal.