Hey guys, I have recently decided to pick up my acoustic guitar and do a little bit of experimentation in the tuning area. Last night I learnt some of the song Parabola by Tool which is in B E D G B E tuning; i don't know the name for this.

But anyway, i was mucking around on this for a while and then i thought, why not tune down half a step?... So now the tuning is A# D# C# F# A# D# and I friggen love this tuning, it has even inspired me to write some-what of an instrumental song.

My fear is that it is going to severly warp and screw around with my neck...
Im currently running 11-52 strings...

How badly is this going to mess with my neck and will i need to change string gauge or completely ignore this tuning?

Cheers for your help,
TheAscendendant
okay, sweet as, its also about a 5 year old guitar, will that cause any problems?
and it has never been set up before as i was a beginner when i got it and didnt know much
about guitars?
If it's never beenn set up then now is a good time to kill 2 birds with one stone. Any guitar will benefit from being set up, even a fairly new guitar (I noticed outstanding improvements in playability on my RG afterward)

Take it in to your local shop, they'll ask what kind of setup you want- I usually name a band or artist like Vai- and they'll do it for you. Tell them the tuning and they'll make sure everything is adjusted to be perfect for your needs
Alternate tunings will not warp a guitar. Guitar necks have metal reinforcing truss rods to prevent it from doing so.

If you play in standard tuning most of the time, have your guitar set up to that with a little bit of leeway so that you can do lower tunings if you decide to go down there.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Alternate tunings will not warp a guitar. Guitar necks have metal reinforcing truss rods to prevent it from doing so.

If you play in standard tuning most of the time, have your guitar set up to that with a little bit of leeway so that you can do lower tunings if you decide to go down there.

My main tuning on the acoustic is D standard as i prefer to have the deep and emotional sound, but if i get it set up for that it should be alright i suppose...8)
Quote by captivate

Tell that to Hawaiian slack-key guitarists.

Small alterations won't threaten the necl, but the neck can always be optimised for any particular tuning
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Tell that to Hawaiian slack-key guitarists.

Small alterations won't threaten the necl, but the neck can always be optimised for any particular tuning

The word "warp" generally implies that the neck is pretty messed up, which is what I am addressing. I'm not in any way saying that the neck cannot be setup in a better manner. I'm merely stating that you will not damage your guitar with simple alternate tunings.
Equipment:

Captivate has it pretty much spot on, although I will add that if you have the top 3 strings tuned higher than normal for you (If you use D standard, it'll be half a step up from usual), and the bottom 3 tuned much lower than normal, this will cause uneven tension across the neck, which might be a potential problem, over a long period of time.

As stated previously though, by SilverSpurs616, you can optimise it for comfort; I wouldnt enjoy playing a guitar thats not set up for that tuning, as the strings would be way too loose for my tastes.

It wouldnt be unplayable, but its preference on how you like your guitar to feel.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Captivate has it pretty much spot on, although I will add that if you have the top 3 strings tuned higher than normal for you (If you use D standard, it'll be half a step up from usual), and the bottom 3 tuned much lower than normal, this will cause uneven tension across the neck, which might be a potential problem, over a long period of time.

As stated previously though, by SilverSpurs616, you can optimise it for comfort; I wouldnt enjoy playing a guitar thats not set up for that tuning, as the strings would be way too loose for my tastes.

It wouldnt be unplayable, but its preference on how you like your guitar to feel.

Wouldnt D standard be a whole step down?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

No. Just get it setup for whatever tuning you use most.
Equipment: