Okay so I've been trying to teach myself theory for a while now and not making much progress, so i was wondering if anyone could explain how i know what scale to play over certain chords.

So for example just now I'm learning to play some QOTSA,3s and 7s and burn the witch, how would i know what scale to use based on the chords played behind the solo.

Keep in mind I'm a theory noob :/
Thanks in advance
look at the notes and see what scale it seems they come from. consider what chord and notes feel like home and which have the most tension.
start with the chords involved, then note the #s and bs involved. using that as a basis, start messing around in scale patterns that you know, and figure out which one fits best. recommend using the whole scale rather than pentatonic for confirmation. also, the starting or ending chord is usually a good sign as to the key and pertinent mode.
Quote by Scutt
Okay so I've been trying to teach myself theory for a while now and not making much progress

What's the main reason you arent making progress? What's hard for you concerning theory?

The answer to your question in this topic, IS theory, so you are back at square one.

Best,

Sean