Hi guys,

Once again my plans are changing and all and I don't know what I should wrap my head around for what new amp to get.

Im thinking about getting a 2x12 and a lowish wattage head.

Honestly, Im a complete noob when it comes to heads and cabs.

I am going to go used, there is no doubt about that, with both the head and cab.

I do lots of bedroom playing, and I gig occasionally, and I need to be heard over the drummer. I need low volumes that sound well, and lots of headroom.

Now the stuff ya'll are gonna want to know.

Closest City: Boston
Budget: Head - 450 USD used Cab - 300 USD used

Now for what I play. I play a lot of clean/mild overdriven stuff, and that is a good portion of what I play. I need the headroom for when I gig. I also play some pretty heavy rock, like Alter Bridge and Coheed & Cambria. They are as heavy as I go. And I do play Classic Rock.

Now...Things I've considered

Cabs - Avatar 2x12, and not much else, I know very little about Cabs
Heads - Jet City JCA50H, Egnater Rebel, Egnater Tweaker, JCM900 50W, Fender Bassman, the lower wattage Oranges, Blackstar.

Im thinking I need at least 20W due to gigging and being heard over the drummer.

Oh yeah, a effects loop and tubes are ideal.

If anything else is needed let me know!

Thanks guys!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Tweaker with EL34s? Bumps it up to 50 watts. I personally find that a single channel head with a good amount of headroom works great for cleans/OD if you have independent volume controls on your guitar.

Keep an eye out for Peavey VTMs or Butchers, they go for super cheap and are JCM800 clones.

Traynor YCV50 Blue is a good combo option.
I got a Crate Stealth 100 if your interested
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by forsaknazrael
Tweaker with EL34s? Bumps it up to 50 watts. I personally find that a single channel head with a good amount of headroom works great for cleans/OD if you have independent volume controls on your guitar.

Keep an eye out for Peavey VTMs or Butchers, they go for super cheap and are JCM800 clones.

Traynor YCV50 Blue is a good combo option.

I have heard wonderful things about those but I don't really see them on the used CL market too often. Will keep those in mind though.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
i don't run my tweaker over half at band practice, and can be heard just fine over drums.

fwiw.
Quote by gregs1020
i don't run my tweaker over half at band practice, and can be heard just fine over drums.

fwiw.

How many watts?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
15 no matter what power tubes you use. i use 34s which have more headroom and mids than the 6v6's did. 6L6s will get you even more headroom if needed.

but explore other options too. do as many side by sides as possible obviously.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Really? I would think 34s would bump up the wattage. Especially since it does increase headroom..

You know the trannies have to be able handle the wattage, right? I doubt you could fit ones for a 50w amp into the tweaker's headshell. It would be a pretty weird business decision to equip a 15w amp with 50w transformers, at least.

Anyway, I second the Traynor suggestion.
Would the Traynor give me good enough cleans?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I'm with Min on this one. Rocker 30s are yum

Although the Traynor is a good suggestion as well.

And you can't really go wrong with Jet City Dice, I may have sold my 20H but it was only because I was in need of moar. The 50H would be a great solution.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by TheQuailman
You know the trannies have to be able handle the wattage, right? I doubt you could fit ones for a 50w amp into the tweaker's headshell. It would be a pretty weird business decision to equip a 15w amp with 50w transformers, at least.

Anyway, I second the Traynor suggestion.

Well clearly the power transformer is already over spec'd if it can handle different tube types' current draw.
^yeah, Tweaker with EL34s would be sweet. Played one again tonight along with the Rebel 20 and 30 (also recommend). I've seen Renegade combos for around $750 too.

I see lots of stuff man. Not saying these are perfect but they are worth considering. +1 to that Traynor. Someone grabbed an Epiphone So Cal head for $300 tonight so keep you eyes peeled to your craigslist and your local store scene. Don't get overly excited when you find amp deals, keep your cards to yourself and watch you local stores for deals.

http://boston.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=300&maxAsk=800

Sep 27 - B-52 100 watt head/full stack - $800 (milford)

Sep 27 - Traynor YCV50 Tube Amp - $450 (South End) pic

Sep 27 - B-52 AT100 Tube Head - $350 (MA/NH Border) img

Sep 27 - Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with Sanpera II Footswitch - $420 (MA/NH Border) img

Sep 27 - Ampeg Reverberocket reissue R-12R tube amp - $350 (Natick) pic

Sep 26 - ***** CRATE PALOMINO V50 TUBE GUITAR AMP ****** - $350 (Back Bay) pic

Sep 26 - Never gigged Line 6 Bogner spider valve MKII w/MKII floorboard + case! - $599 (Brighton)

Sep 26 - B-52 AT-100 - $550 (Braintree)

Sep 26 - Ampeg SuperJet SJ-12T combo amp - Excellent Condition - $425 (Ipswich) img

Sep 26 - Crate VC30 Tube Amp - $300 (Medford, MA) pic

Sep 26 - Marshall JCM900 100W head - $700 (Allston) pic

Sep 25 - Ampeg VT-60 Triaxx - $350 (Hamilton)

Sep 24 - Line 6 Vetta w/PedalBoard - $800 (Natick/Framingham) pic

Sep 23 - Marshall JCM 900 4500 head - $575 (Hudson Ma,) pic

Sep 23 - Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 1x12 amp - $650 (Fenway) pic

Sep 23 - Egnater Rebel 30 1x12 combo - $600 (Cambridge / Westford) pic

Sep 23 - 1965 Fender Bandmaster and 68 Cab. - $600 (Maynard/Leominster) pic

Sep 23 - Rivera Chubster 55w - $600 (Brockton) pic

Sep 22 - Peavey Classic 50 2X12 combo tube amp - $420 (Quincy) pic

Sep 22 - Crate Blue Voodoo Tube Head - $400 (Malden, MA) pic

Sep 22 - Laney pro-tube 100 - $400 (Allston/Brighton) pic