Page 1 of 2
Ok, so i find myself in this situation every so often. I have a day where I play shitty or I seem to just be playing the same stuff over and over, or stuff that sounds the same to me, and feeling like im making no progress whatsoever. Then I say, "well tomorrows a new day, Ill play better tomorrow"
But As i find the next day approaching, I have sort of an anxiety of playing.
I think I feel this way because Im anticipating playing bad or somthing, and getting in that shitty mood and mindset. And so I feel "scared" almost of playing my guitar for fear that It will put me into a shitty mood.

Another thing that really bothers me is that I feel that I HAVE to play. Like not that I want to play, but I HAVE to play or else I will get even worse. Then that train of thought just adds insult to injury since i am already anxious to play in the first place.

Has anyone else ever felt this way before? Its happened to me many times throughout the 2 years ive been playing. I dont really know what gets me over it.
Weed. In all seriousness this has happened to me many times before and if you do not want to persevere then this option is your best bet.
try playing along to some songs you like? or songs from a genre you are not used to hearing or playing? Also a little break from playing guitar can be good for your playing and your mind! Guitar should be fun and not a chore! hope this helped!
Cort - Mirage
Hughes & Kettner - Warp 7 Combo
DigiTech - Metal Master
haha you know what, i have thought of that before. But first I need a job for money, then I can buy weed. lol
Quote by boiling-flesh
try playing along to some songs you like? or songs from a genre you are not used to hearing or playing? Also a little break from playing guitar can be good for your playing and your mind! Guitar should be fun and not a chore! hope this helped!

really? taking a break from it will get me better? how so?
I used to experience the same thing. If you stay diligent eventually you will get good enough so that you always play well.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
(might get attacked from this) but you may need a break, or you may need to change your musical abilities up a bit. This won't be easy.

I found myself in your same situation a few years ago. I was getting tired of playing guitar because i felt unoriginal, uninspired, and without true 'want' to play, as you say.

My solution was the drums.

I went out on a huge limb, and bought a drum set, learned how to play. It was one of the best musical decisions i have ever made. It made me look at every single song in a new way, from a new angle, and it opened up my creative capabilities. Soon after i joined a band on drums (we played out last show this last weekend) and had a great run with them.

Now when i pick up the guitar, it feels fresh and fun, just like when i first figured out how to play.

Sometimes you just have to make it interesting and spice it up to keep it exciting. (bom chicka wow wow)

Although....

Price of Drumset > Price of Weed. (For a little bit, at least....then it flips around)
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
When this happens to me I put my guitar down and listen to some of my favourite music for a few days. I soon get inspired again, as it makes me realise why I want to play in the first place.
Quote by ThrashKing
really? taking a break from it will get me better? how so?
Taking a break will by no means make you better.

What it will do, however, is allow your mind and fingers to rest and recover, as well as revitalize your creativity. Whenever I'm in a rut and then I take a few days to a week off, whenever I come back it no longer feels forced. This is important because you can't force a creative art like music. If you try to, then the result is unappealing and chore-like.

So my advice to you is to stop playing the guitar, so your mind can recover, then you will get over the notion that it's a chore, and you will likely start to miss playing. This is when you pick the guitar up again and see if you feel more relaxed/creative/whatever.

Quote by fastlanestoner
I used to experience the same thing. If you stay diligent eventually you will get good enough so that you always play well.
...or you will lose motivation and stop playing.

I guess it works differently for different people, I just think that when your creative mind is exhausted the only solution is to give it a rest for a while.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 27, 2010,
happens to me sometimes. listen to new music, something that grabs you. then start practicing things (when your ready/want to) that are completely different from what you were working on before. take a break if neccesary.
Quote by ThrashKing
]

Another thing that really bothers me is that I feel that I HAVE to play. Like not that I want to play, but I HAVE to play or else I will get even worse. Then that train of thought just adds insult to injury since i am already anxious to play in the first place.
[...]

You're treating playing the guitar as a chore, not as something that's fun. That's the problem you're currently having.

You don't have to do anything. The only person who's telling you to do things is yourself.

If you're stuck in a rut, go on youtube.com, find a song or solo that you like, and set about learning it. If that puts you off, tell yourself you're only going to learn a tiny piece of it. Before you know it you'll be doing the whole thing.

If you still have trouble picking up that guitar each day, read this http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/motivation/3-time-proven-ways-stick-practice-routine/
Quote by ThrashKing
Ok, so i find myself in this situation every so often. I have a day where I play shitty or I seem to just be playing the same stuff over and over, or stuff that sounds the same to me, and feeling like im making no progress whatsoever. Then I say, "well tomorrows a new day, Ill play better tomorrow"
I think I feel this way because Im anticipating playing bad or somthing, and getting in that shitty mood and mindset. And so I feel "scared" almost of playing my guitar for fear that It will put me into a shitty mood.

Has anyone else ever felt this way before? Its happened to me many times throughout the 2 years ive been playing. I dont really know what gets me over it.

It sounds like you are just discouraged. I understand that. I tell our students, that the guitar will be a fickle mistress, both repulsing us because she has so much to teach us, but we are still barely sctratching the surface of what it is, and its frustrating. But its drawing us because we love her so much, it's like a woman you cant stand at times and yet cant stand to be without.

Welcome, youre a guitarist, enjoy the disease, its there for life.

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 28, 2010,
A couple things I've found work well are buying new effects, depending on the kind of music you'd like to play, and try new tunings. I can play lots of weird, airy music with my delay, and when I'm feeling the "br00talz", or something close to it, I turn on the fuzz, and play in drop D and crank the gain, or if I wanna play more fun, funky stuff, I use my wah.

Tunings also help a lot. At the moment, my acoustic is in DADGAD, and is just really fun to play. One finger power chords and melodies, and you get a solid bass line in the D5 chord. Its also fun to try and find the standard chords in DADGAD as well. I'm not very good with theory, so lots of experimenting.

Just try new things. If you like metal, maybe try funk, or ska.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I definitely think a break can be of good use.

If you feel like you "have" to play guitar and you are not enjoying it, getting anything out of it then you are just wasting your time. And not only that, but you are getting anxious about it. It can be healthy to back off a bit and give yourself some time.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
What kind of music do you like? Answer that in your head.

Now, go to youtube and find a band/musician that you like that plays songs/licks/riffs/whatever that are *not* the normal kind of thing you play. Listen to what they're doing and try to incorporate that into what you already do. A little diversity can take you a long way and even open new ideas for you.

I usually listen to blues/blues backing tracks/what-have-you, but the other day i got this idea in my head to go to youtube and try playing along with some straight rock backing tracks. Since it was a different style and speed of music I'm used to, I was forced to learn and try out new little things. I had to put together a totally different sound than I'm used to. So not only am I learning to play with Rock songs and the style that goes with it, I'm also able to incorporate those things into blues. Just little tricks or licks or techniques that I hadn't tried before.

I'm still new at all this for the most part, but I hope my idea can help you some like it has for me! ^.^
Quote by Rvn
What kind of music do you like? Answer that in your head.

Now, go to youtube and find a band/musician that you like that plays songs/licks/riffs/whatever that are *not* the normal kind of thing you play. Listen to what they're doing and try to incorporate that into what you already do. A little diversity can take you a long way and even open new ideas for you.

I usually listen to blues/blues backing tracks/what-have-you, but the other day i got this idea in my head to go to youtube and try playing along with some straight rock backing tracks. Since it was a different style and speed of music I'm used to, I was forced to learn and try out new little things. I had to put together a totally different sound than I'm used to. So not only am I learning to play with Rock songs and the style that goes with it, I'm also able to incorporate those things into blues. Just little tricks or licks or techniques that I hadn't tried before.

I'm still new at all this for the most part, but I hope my idea can help you some like it has for me! ^.^

I actually really like this idea. I need to stop playing grunge/sludge rock and try some new things...maybe i'll give some bluesy guitar a shot. I can definitely see how trying other styles would open the mind.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by ThrashKing

The best thing you can do is to not take yourself too seriously and just enjoy the act of playing music on your guitar.

Don't worry about anything.... just play/enjoy and ultimately improve as a result.

If you feel like you have to play (for fear of getting worse), as opposed to wanting to play.... you may want to reconsider playing the guitar at all. I mean If you don't enjoy it, there's really not much point.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
If you feel like you have to play (for fear of getting worse), as opposed to wanting to play.... you may want to reconsider playing the guitar at all. I mean If you don't enjoy it, there's really not much point.

I don't necessarily like the idea of discouraging someone from playing at all. Your first advice was better to not take it too seriously, in my opinion. It's one thing to take a break...

Everyone gets in a rut or a funk sometimes. It just sounds like the TS is in that place right now.

This is probably the only time I'll ever say something like this but... . ::: TS, ignore the part about giving up entirely! No one EVER got better quitting. Ever. Ever ever ever.

Edit: @BassFishin, give it a shot! Try it with all kinds of music that you enjoy!
Last edited by Rvn at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by Rvn
I don't necessarily like the idea of discouraging someone from playing at all. Your first advice was better to not take it too seriously, in my opinion. It's one thing to take a break....

well like it or not, it's the advice that I gave and I wholeheartedly stand behind it.
Quote by Rvn

Everyone gets in a rut or a funk sometimes. It just sounds like the TS is in that place right now.

Maybe, but thats not MY take on it, which is the reason for my response.

Quote by Rvn

This is probably the only time I'll ever say something like this but... . ::: TS, ignore the part about giving up entirely! No one EVER got better quitting. Ever. Ever ever ever.

Like he's going to give up because of my post. and if he does, what does that really say about his motivation to play?

and regarding people quitting...

what happens is they often find something else that they genuinely are interested in, and have the possibility of excelling at THAT.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Like he's going to give up because of my post. and if he does, what does that really say about his motivation to play?

and regarding people quitting...

what happens is they often find something else that they genuinely are interested in, and have the possibility of excelling at THAT.

To the bolded part:

You have WAY more credibility here than I do(and i do respect your posts, btw ), so yeah i think it's very possible that someone could listen to you.

I mean you and I know that I'm still new here(relatively) and look a couple of posts above, BassFishin decided to try something that I said when I was addressing the TS(which is neat imo. made me feel useful lol :P). So if someone like me can influence, then ya, you shouldn't discount your own comments as something that won't get listened to. In fact, isn't that the whole point of posting? To try to give advice(in this forum anyway)?

On the other hand, you may be right. But something to remember, i think, is that threads like this are usually made out of frustration, and not so much of a 'i hate my life bc of my guitar' mindset.
Quote by Rvn
To the bolded part:

You have WAY more credibility here than I do(and i do respect your posts, btw ), so yeah i think it's very possible that someone could listen to you.

Well, really if he quits because of 1 post by 1 person, It just might be the right decision.
I mean if the guy genuinely loves playing .... hes' gonna play. If he's on the fence about, and I made him think a bit.... then I'm glad.

Quote by Rvn

I mean you and I know that I'm still new here(relatively) and look a couple of posts above, BassFishin decided to try something that I said when I was addressing the TS(which is neat imo. made me feel useful lol :P). So if someone like me can influence, then ya, you shouldn't discount your own comments as something that won't get listened to. In fact, isn't that the whole point of posting? To try to give advice(in this forum anyway)?

I dont' discount my post at all... I meant what I said, and I have reasons for doing so. But you have to see my post for what it is..... a person giving advice/suggestions, just like everyone else. I'm sure the TS can make his own decisions.

Quote by Rvn

On the other hand, you may be right. But something to remember, i think, is that threads like this are usually made out of frustration, and not so much of a 'i hate my life bc of my guitar' mindset.

Well, IMO taking a step back and thinking about why you play guitar, what you get out of it, and whether or not you really want to continue will ultimately alleviate that frustration.
shred is gaudy music
I totally agree with Munky, and I think I always do in these kinds of threads. Consider relaxing and just playing when you want to play. If you've enjoyed guitar in the past then I guarantee you that after a short break you'll want to pick it up again. It happens to me sometimes.

EDIT: And you don't need to "quit" .. the issue is not polar.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, IMO taking a step back and thinking about why you play guitar, what you get out of it, and whether or not you really want to continue will ultimately alleviate that frustration.

I like this part the best.

Then again, I'm not usually prone to making brash decisions. Hehe.

That said, I just wanted to point out that despite not agreeing(for probably the only time ever) with you, I don't harbor any ill will towards ya bc of our little 'debate' lol.

/cheers

Edit: To stay on topic.. TS, good luck for whatever you decide! I hope at worst that you only take a break. Guitar is too fun to quit!
Last edited by Rvn at Sep 29, 2010,
right now im sorta just going back to basics. Heres what i do. Ill start to learn somthing, realize im getting good at it, then Ill get bored and try other things, but never really get a wholly good grip on things. I set myself up with a little schedule of sorts, of things I want to have down by a certain time.

Basically just really learning where all the notes fall on the fingerboard, chords, chord prog., and stuff like that. Then Once i feel that I am fully skilled in being able to identify this chord here and that chord there and all the notes and keys involved, ill start to try more phrasing and melodic improv.
I did actually watch youtube videos on how to improve phrasing and improvisation, thats what got me going back to learning all the notes and where chords fall on the frets.

Thanks for all the help though guys. I appreciate it alot!
Quote by Rvn
I just wanted to point out that despite not agreeing(for probably the only time ever) with you, I don't harbor any ill will towards ya bc of our little 'debate' lol.

Likewise man.

Quote by ThrashKing
right now im sorta just going back to basics. Heres what i do. Ill start to learn somthing, realize im getting good at it, then Ill get bored and try other things, but never really get a wholly good grip on things. I set myself up with a little schedule of sorts, of things I want to have down by a certain time.

Basically just really learning where all the notes fall on the fingerboard, chords, chord prog., and stuff like that. Then Once i feel that I am fully skilled in being able to identify this chord here and that chord there and all the notes and keys involved, ill start to try more phrasing and melodic improv.

I did actually watch youtube videos on how to improve phrasing and improvisation, thats what got me going back to learning all the notes and where chords fall on the frets.

Thanks for all the help though guys. I appreciate it alot!

What's your repertoire like? how many songs do you think you could play by memory all the way through? When you do play them, is it for the purpose of "getting good", or do you get some kind of enjoyment from the experience?

IMO, this is a very important issue. Sometimes people try so hard to get good, that they lose the simple act of enjoying the instrument, and ultimately fail to achieve their goals for lack of motivation.

And I hope nobody misunderstands this as saying you shouldn't try to get better. Thats not at all what I'm saying... I mean who picks up the guitar wanting to suck at at?
it pretty much goes without saying that if you play.... you want to be good at it.
So to me this motivation thing... .the "why", is really important.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Likewise man.

What's your repertoire like? how many songs do you think you could play by memory all the way through? When you do play them, is it for the purpose of "getting good", or do you get some kind of enjoyment from the experience?

IMO, this is a very important issue. Sometimes people try so hard to get good, that they lose the simple act of enjoying the instrument, and ultimately fail to achieve their goals for lack of motivation.

And I hope nobody misunderstands this as saying you shouldn't try to get better. Thats not at all what I'm saying... I mean who picks up the guitar wanting to suck at at?
it pretty much goes without saying that if you play.... you want to be good at it.
So to me this motivation thing... .the "why", is really important.

playing all the way through.... um i can play symphony of destruction all the way through, but I cant play the solo 100% speed yet. Same with Peace Sells (if you havent noticed, i love MEGADETH), I can play pretty good up untill the first long solo ( not the the solo after the first 2 main riffs, I can do that one pretty good).
I can play other stuff, but only parts that sound cool to me. I dont try to learn the whole song unless I feel it is really a great great song to learn.
I do get enjoyment from the experience, much of it though is that I feel like "wow, I can play this pretty well, I must be getting better!". Then when i start to get bored with it, Ill move on to somthing more difficult or whatever, so that I can tell myself " Yeah, I can play this. Im getting better still"

And i think alot of the whole "getting better" thing with me is that I want to make a career out of playing. Whether thats play in a band, teaching, etc etc. I have this constant kind of voice in my head saying " If you dont get better you'll never succeed"
So its kind of me worrying about my future that makes it worse too. That why im taking a step back, going to the basics and getting myself organized so that I have a greater knowledge of WHY this sounds good and how I can make it sound better. Also, i want to someday be able to write music, not just improv. around with stuff untill I find somthing that sounds cool.
Its really a pretty complicated mess, But I feel that having a strong base of knowledge on Theory will get me past alot of the "musicians block".
Last edited by ThrashKing at Sep 29, 2010,
Well the fact you can't play one full song yet is a pretty major sign that you're practicing the wrong things. Most people learn guitar to make music, and you shouldn't just jump in the deep end and go for the hard stuff otherwise you'll end up frustrated and give up.

Out of interest, have you learnt any chords? For example, if I asked you to play an A major chord, could you?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well the fact you can't play one full song yet is a pretty major sign that you're practicing the wrong things. Most people learn guitar to make music, and you shouldn't just jump in the deep end and go for the hard stuff otherwise you'll end up frustrated and give up.

Out of interest, have you learnt any chords? For example, if I asked you to play an A major chord, could you?

Oh yeah, I know all the triads, 7ths, inversions etc etc. the basic stuff. I just dont have a very firm grasp on where the notes are on the fingerboard. I know the basic shapes, and I can make a chord from any note.
The thing about not being able to play a full song yet....heres how I view it. I listen to a song I like, I like a certain riff or solo, I learn that specific part, then when I just play freely I incorporate those riffs or solo shapes onto other notes, see how it sounds and try to meld together my own little riffs and licks.
Thats my basic train of thought when it comes to learning songs. Only need to learn what is pleasing to me (unless its the case of kick ass songs like SoD and Peace Sells)
Quote by ThrashKing
Oh yeah, I know all the triads, 7ths, inversions etc etc. the basic stuff. I just dont have a very firm grasp on where the notes are on the fingerboard. I know the basic shapes, and I can make a chord from any note.
The thing about not being able to play a full song yet....heres how I view it. I listen to a song I like, I like a certain riff or solo, I learn that specific part, then when I just play freely I incorporate those riffs or solo shapes onto other notes, see how it sounds and try to meld together my own little riffs and licks.
Thats my basic train of thought when it comes to learning songs. Only need to learn what is pleasing to me (unless its the case of kick ass songs like SoD and Peace Sells)

Well, what happens with that approach is that you miss an opportunity to experience the entire context of a song.

Learning bits and pieces is okay, but it's definitely a good idea to deal with the big picture.... even if some of the parts aren't all the exciting in terms of guitar technique.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by ThrashKing

I think this means that you couldn't play an A major chord, due to the fact you don't know where A is, I think.

Quote by ThrashKing

The way that I view this approach is lots of random stuff accumulating in nothing.

It's not really surprising that you want to give up when you can't play a song, or play your instrument with other people after how long you have been playing. I'd set some goals and set out to achieve them, the first being learn chords (and the notes which correspond to them) and songs which use those chords.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by flashmdg
Weed. In all seriousness this has happened to me many times before and if you do not want to persevere then this option is your best bet.

Wow, this is the worst advice I've ever read on here lol.

TS have you got any recording devices? I found that when I started recording music my musical abilities improved in general. If you aren't too good at composing yet just record ideas and riffs or use parts of songs you like and experiment with improvising.
Read up on the stickies and learn some scales and you should be on your way.
Even if your first recordings sound like shit then at least you have set a 'waypoint' for your future playing to improve on.
lol guitar
Honestly, I know exactly what you're talking about. I get the exact same thing from time to time. The best solution I've found is to just rest it for a day or two, then pick up the guitar again and learn some more songs. It just feels like a fresh start, and you feel a lot more enthusiastic about playing guitar. Anyway, I hope this helped for you.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I have a name. It is Mitch.
I know what your talking about... I'm terrible at guitar, Well I'm never going to say I'm terrible at guitar because that puts me in a worse position. Let's say I'm a beginner, I'm learning Music theory, I practise every single day from anywhere between 1 Hour to 4 Hours. As much as Practising bores me for the first thirty minutes or so, I start getting hooked and love practising, so let's say; I don't hate it that much. I can't really afford a guitar teacher, so I'm using my friends set of $250 DVDS to learn from, again.

I used to play when I was young, but I quit for a few years; what I really regret, I decided to start playing again a few weeks back; and I'm obsessed. Learn't the C Chord and G7 Chord, Am, and D I think, Fluently, can switch easily. Just keep Practising, as hard as it seems.
Last edited by CryingLightning at Sep 30, 2010,
Sean Tibbetts bassist for Kamelot talked about this subject in an interview on the new album Poetry for the Poisoned.
If you wanna be professional you gotta put alot of time in this. You don't become good at anything without practicing and doing it alot. Sean Tibbetts recommends 2-10 hours of playing each day. I agree with him.

Sadly I can't put 10 hours a day into playing guitar...
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
I have had exactly the same thought patterns. Fearing to play because I'm in and not able to play as well as I want and then not playing just makes it worse because you know that by not playing you're only going to sound worse next time you pick up the guitar. So when that next time rolls around you want to pick it up even less.

The way to bust out of this is just to pick it up and play the hell out of it. You have to change your mindset. Which isn't all that hard. You are obviously aware of the internal dialogue you're having with yourself or you couldn't have posted what you posted.

So now you have to engage in that dialogue and steer it in the right direction. First imagine how crap you will feel tomorrow when you tell yourself you didn't play today. Then imagine how much better you will feel when tomorrow, you can tell yourself you picked up the guitar and played for three hours solid and really enjoyed it.

Next think of the best times you have had playing your guitar. A specific time when you really enjoyed playing and it just made you feel great. Try to remember the feelings as vividly as possible. Then for the next two to three hours your guitar is priority number one remove any and all distractions and pick up the guitar and start playing.

Don't worry if at first you feel a bit rusty, tell yourself you're just warming up (because you are) keep playing till you get completely absorbed by what you're doing and start feeling really good about what you're doing. It will come.

Get to the place where everything sounds great and the riffs just roll out by the minute. Then when you're really feeling the love and think you're just getting into your stride - take a ten minute break.

Have a drink, take a leak, don't let yourself get distracted or sidetracked but try to get somewhere you can't see the guitar but you know it's waiting for you find a clock and watch it for a full two minutes.

You should be in such a good guitar playing state that the anticipation of getting back will be driving you mad. This is where you need some kind of mantra. You could invent a word or if you have given your guitar a name you could say "oooh (guitar name) you make me feel so good". Say it with conviction and say it out loud at least twice, and you have to say it in a way that makes you feel good just saying it.

Then after two full minutes of watching the clock, head back and as soon as you see your guitar let yourself get really excited, feel butterflies in your stomach, and tell your guitar so she can hear you and say it like you mean it, "oooh guitar you make me feel so good".

Then pick it up and play until once again you get completely lost in the music.

When you go to bed that night or at the start of the next day think about how good you feel knowing that you beat the little voices that wanted to stop you from playing. Really let yourself wallow in that self victory.

From then on every time you approach your guitar to play say "oooh guitar you make me feel so good" and let the excitement come every time you say it.

This might sound corny but if you know that internal dialogue can program your mind to fear playing and you know that fear is nothing more than a construct of your own mind, then why not take control of the programming process and make it so you are excited about every opportunity to play your beautiful guitar.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
I have had exactly the same thought patterns. Fearing to play because I'm in and not able to play as well as I want and then not playing just makes it worse because you know that by not playing you're only going to sound worse next time you pick up the guitar. So when that next time rolls around you want to pick it up even less.

The way to bust out of this is just to pick it up and play the hell out of it. You have to change your mindset. Which isn't all that hard. You are obviously aware of the internal dialogue you're having with yourself or you couldn't have posted what you posted.

So now you have to engage in that dialogue and steer it in the right direction. First imagine how crap you will feel tomorrow when you tell yourself you didn't play today. Then imagine how much better you will feel when tomorrow, you can tell yourself you picked up the guitar and played for three hours solid and really enjoyed it.

Next think of the best times you have had playing your guitar. A specific time when you really enjoyed playing and it just made you feel great. Try to remember the feelings as vividly as possible. Then for the next two to three hours your guitar is priority number one remove any and all distractions and pick up the guitar and start playing.

Don't worry if at first you feel a bit rusty, tell yourself you're just warming up (because you are) keep playing till you get completely absorbed by what you're doing and start feeling really good about what you're doing. It will come.

Get to the place where everything sounds great and the riffs just roll out by the minute. Then when you're really feeling the love and think you're just getting into your stride - take a ten minute break.

Have a drink, take a leak, don't let yourself get distracted or sidetracked but try to get somewhere you can't see the guitar but you know it's waiting for you find a clock and watch it for a full two minutes.

You should be in such a good guitar playing state that the anticipation of getting back will be driving you mad. This is where you need some kind of mantra. You could invent a word or if you have given your guitar a name you could say "oooh (guitar name) you make me feel so good". Say it with conviction and say it out loud at least twice, and you have to say it in a way that makes you feel good just saying it.

Then after two full minutes of watching the clock, head back and as soon as you see your guitar let yourself get really excited, feel butterflies in your stomach, and tell your guitar so she can hear you and say it like you mean it, "oooh guitar you make me feel so good".

Then pick it up and play until once again you get completely lost in the music.

When you go to bed that night or at the start of the next day think about how good you feel knowing that you beat the little voices that wanted to stop you from playing. Really let yourself wallow in that self victory.

From then on every time you approach your guitar to play say "oooh guitar you make me feel so good" and let the excitement come every time you say it.

This might sound corny but if you know that internal dialogue can program your mind to fear playing and you know that fear is nothing more than a construct of your own mind, then why not take control of the programming process and make it so you are excited about every opportunity to play your beautiful guitar.

haha dude thats awesome. I do feel like that and have that excitment to playing alot, but then every so often, I get in a funk ( like I was.) I think Im over it now, I did take a sort of semi-break (I just played around with chords in different keys and looking at the breakup of notes in a scale and making up chords) for 2 days. Then today when I picked up my guitar, turned the amp up, I was feeling that energy flowing through my body!
Thats what your talking about right?
Quote by AlanHB
I think this means that you couldn't play an A major chord, due to the fact you don't know where A is, I think.

The way that I view this approach is lots of random stuff accumulating in nothing.

It's not really surprising that you want to give up when you can't play a song, or play your instrument with other people after how long you have been playing. I'd set some goals and set out to achieve them, the first being learn chords (and the notes which correspond to them) and songs which use those chords.

Nah man I can play an A maj chord dude. I know the names of notes, I just wanted to know where all the maj, min, dim, and aug. chords in every Key fell on the neck. It used to take me a little bit to find the A note or G, now im drawing up a bunch of guitar necks, choosing a key, putting all the notes from the scale on the guitar neck, and the im finding the maj, min, dim and aug. triads on the pic and identifying what notes make them up in which key.
I had a pretty decent understanding of triads and chords before, but then I sorta dismissed it for awhile. Now im coming back to it and trying to nail it all in to my head now before I move on to more complicated stuff.
Quote by ThrashKing
haha dude thats awesome. I do feel like that and have that excitment to playing alot, but then every so often, I get in a funk ( like I was.) I think Im over it now, I did take a sort of semi-break (I just played around with chords in different keys and looking at the breakup of notes in a scale and making up chords) for 2 days. Then today when I picked up my guitar, turned the amp up, I was feeling that energy flowing through my body!
Thats what your talking about right?

Yeah man feel it deep down and love it. Remember that feeling how it just feels so good when you're playing. Then next time you're in a funk remember that good feeling and just think fuck it I love how good it feels when I play and don't care about anything else I have to pick up the guitar and jam out to make myself feel good again. Then pick up play hard and love it. Good to hear you're jammin out again.
Si
Quote by food1010
Taking a break will by no means make you better.

What it will do, however, is allow your mind and fingers to rest and recover, as well as revitalize your creativity. Whenever I'm in a rut and then I take a few days to a week off, whenever I come back it no longer feels forced. This is important because you can't force a creative art like music. If you try to, then the result is unappealing and chore-like.

So my advice to you is to stop playing the guitar, so your mind can recover, then you will get over the notion that it's a chore, and you will likely start to miss playing. This is when you pick the guitar up again and see if you feel more relaxed/creative/whatever.

...or you will lose motivation and stop playing.

I guess it works differently for different people, I just think that when your creative mind is exhausted the only solution is to give it a rest for a while.

This. ^

It works like this, in order to get the most out of your playing, you need to enjoy it, and if it's something you feel you have to do rather than something you want to do, then it becomes more of a chore than a pleasure.
When playing gets like that, no matter how much you strive, you simply cannot put your best effort into it, and without that best effort, improvement just doesn't happen. Without improvement, you feel like your getting nowhere, the whole thing starts getting jaded.
Rather than enjoying it, you start hating it and all motivation goes out the window.

The only answer is to have a rest from it, don't set yourself a target date and think 'I'll pick the guitar back up then and see how it goes', instead just pick the guitar back up when you feel like playing. That way you'll return back to playing refreshed, enjoying it again and making real headway in improvement.

Think of it like this, imagine playing guitar as a job. (which it obviously is for many) Anyone needs an occasional break from their job otherwise the job becomes unbarable.

Playing guitar is no different.
You can lose a lot of years' time and effort learning a bunch of songs, only to realize that youre a parrot and know nothing about the guitar after all that time. Or you can learn how it all fits together and spend the rest of your life playing anything you want to. Which sounds better to you?

For most people if they gave a quarter of the time it took to learn to sweep pick a passage from a song, to learn how everything fits together, and theory, they'd be done and have the rest of their lives to play and understand more, with the need for fewer questions to be answered every time they ran into something new.

Everyone here that knows theory knows exactly what Im talking about. And hopefully they will also attest, that theory also saves you from losing years of your life running in place without a clue as to what you are doing.

Sean
Page 1 of 2