Page 1 of 2
So my Peavey 6505+ combo came in today. It's my first tube amp and I'm totally confused on how to use it. What do the resonance and presence do and whats pre and post?
Pre: preamp gain. Generally if you're playing metal and want more gain, turn it up.
Post: controls your power amp. Essentially your master volume for that channel.

No idea about res. and presence on Peaveys. Experiment and have fun.
I'll try and put this simply.

Presence is basically high frequencies not controlled by the treble knob, like the breathiness, or the air of the tone.

Resonance is the opposite, controlling the frequencies below the bass knob, tightening the tone up and making a fuller sound.

Pre gain, is the actual gain control, and post gain is the volume. That might not be strictly true, in terms of actually what they do, in relation to your tubes and circuitry, but thats how it would be on a normal amp, without pre and post gain.

Hope that helped buddy, enjoy your new amp
Presence is essentially a High-Pass knob. Basically a treble control knob.
Resonance, honestly, I've never had an amp with a resonance knob. So I'm not sure.
Pre is the gain through the pre-amp section. Essentially your Gain or 'Distortion' level.
Post is a level control.

Just mess around with it for a bit. You're not gonna break it or anything. So just be liberal with your settings and see what they all do so you can get yourself a nice tone.

I'd recommend starting with EQ, Pres and Res at 12 o'clock and working your way from there.
Quote by Infamous Impact
So my Peavey 6505+ combo came in today. It's my first tube amp and I'm totally confused on how to use it. What do the resonance and presence do and whats pre and post?

I don't mean to be an a$$ but come on, you should at least know what the knobs do on an amp before buying it. And not just specific to the amp you bought; presence, pre and post are on a huge range of amps.

Seems like you bought it because it seemed like a cool purchase rather than having an idea of how it will help your sound and guitar playing.
you buy an amp and you dont know how to use it? which means you didnt even test it out before you bought it? which means you have no clue if you like how it sounds? great...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
My god, give the guy a break and quit acting like jerks. Literally none of the stores around here carry Peavey so you HAVE to buy sight unseen. And a $600 6505+ combo is a great first amp purchase. Would you have preferred him to spend the same amount on an MG Stack? Or drop $2k on a Rectifier sight usneen?
Thanks anyone that actually helped. And yeah I bought it unseen. I checked just about every store in my area and the surrounding areas and none of them had Peaveys. Anyways I already have a decent clean, probably the best one can get out of a 6505. Does anyone know how what EQ I could set to get a good Cryptopsy (Whisper Supremacy) tone out of it?

EDIT: The amp came with no manual and the online manual isn't that great.
Quote by Infamous Impact
Thanks anyone that actually helped. And yeah I bought it unseen. I checked just about every store in my area and the surrounding areas and none of them had Peaveys. Anyways I already have a decent clean, probably the best one can get out of a 6505. Does anyone know how what EQ I could set to get a good Cryptopsy (Whisper Supremacy) tone out of it?

Dude just work it out yourself. An hour or so of tweaking and you should know how everything works. Just have the Pre gain at max and the Post set fairly low. Then add some bass, add some treble and add some mids to your taste. Presence will probably go around 9 o'clock and resonance a bit more
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by Stud_Muffin
I'll try and put this simply.

Presence is basically high frequencies not controlled by the treble knob, like the breathiness, or the air of the tone.

Resonance is the opposite, controlling the frequencies below the bass knob, tightening the tone up and making a fuller sound.

Pre gain, is the actual gain control, and post gain is the volume. That might not be strictly true, in terms of actually what they do, in relation to your tubes and circuitry, but thats how it would be on a normal amp, without pre and post gain.

Hope that helped buddy, enjoy your new amp

Well this was the only correct answer.

Just think Reso = Bass and Pres= Highs.

And Ignore the guy above me

You dont want your Pre dimed trust me
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by maddnotez
Well this was the only correct answer.

Just think Reso = Bass and Pres= Highs.

And Ignore the guy above me

You dont want your Pre dimed trust me

I'm sorry I don't exactly know this amp that well. Those were starting points to work from, guidelines. Whatever
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
yeah resonance is like an extra control for the bass, and presence is like an extra control for the highs- they both, i think, work in the power amp. They work a little differently to the bass and treble controls, it just gives you a bit more control. High presence and low treble will sound a bit different to high treble and low presence (and ditto with the bass and resonance controls). Experiment to see which sounds best.

and yeah, pre-gain is your gain/distortion control, post-gain is volume. crank up the former for brootz, and the latter to increase the volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Turn your resonance way down if you want to play really tight, low-tuned lines (clarity). Turn it way up if you want a super full, thick tone (rhythm's for example)
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Sep 27, 2010,
so resonance up for brootz, down for djent?

\m/ \m/
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No offense, but you could've just turned the knobs and heard what they do....

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No offense, but you could've just turned the knobs and heard what they do....

THIS!

While the whole "OMG, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO USE IT?!?!?!? YOU DON'T DESERVE IT!" thing is Bullshit, its very easy to turn the knob and see how the sound changes.

You should only be asking for tonal descriptions on pieces of gear you don't already OWN!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Most electrical devices come with manuals explaining how they work.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Most electrical devices come with manuals explaining how they work.

And like a manual, which you should read before asking questions; you should read the rest of the thread before making a comment.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
And like a manual, which you should read before asking questions; you should read the rest of the thread before making a comment.

snap. HNAD by the way TS the 6505+ is a pretty simple amp you'll figure her out in no time
Quote by MatrixClaw

Or at least the first reply...which made the same joke!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
Or at least the first reply...which made the same joke!

Nicely played.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by Dave_Mc
so resonance up for brootz, down for djent?

\m/ *Awesomeface* \m/

They see me troooolllliiiiiiiin'........
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Try 7 presence, 5-6 res, pre slightly above 5. This works for an EMG81. I think it works anyways, nobody's yelled "Hey, you sound like crap!". That presence does nice things for palm muted stuff when it's a little higher.
about the presence and resonance controls:

when at low volumes increase the resonance and decrease the presence to get a fuller tone at a low volume (as tube amps sound thin when at low volume)

when at high volumes decrease resonance and increase presence as the tubes will be giving you a full sound and doing this wil decrease muddyness.

these are guidelines, not strict rules, you dont have to live by them, just something to help you understand what they do and use them in a simple manner that will improve your tones at different volume levels.
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by sammo_boi
I'm sorry I don't exactly know this amp that well. Those were starting points to work from, guidelines. Whatever

haha sorry.....good rule of thumb. Starting points = everything at noon
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by MatrixClaw

burn!

Quote by Yngwi3
They see me troooolllliiiiiiiin'........

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Infamous Impact

I challenge thy to a duel....

...just kidding, but i've got some 6505+ clean clips in my profile, recording quality isnt the best, but yah I've done some tube and pickup combinations to get the cleans to where they are...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
How comes the 6505 has bad cleans, or as many people say?

Do you think people used a different amp for clean signals on their albums? Like let's say In Flames?
Quote by Clay-man
How comes the 6505 has bad cleans, or as many people say?

They don't.

People just don't know how to turn knobs
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
to be fair, though, i can't imagine anyone is going to trade in a blackface twin for one (for cleans)...

I only tried one in a shop, and yeah I probably didn't tweak as much as i should have, I thought they were usable, but not much better than that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
to be fair, though, i can't imagine anyone is going to trade in a blackface twin for one (for cleans)...

I only tried one in a shop, and yeah I probably didn't tweak as much as i should have, I thought they were usable, but not much better than that.

Sure, they're not the greatest - but that's not what you buy that amp for in the first place.

They are completely usable, for that price, you really can't expect great cleans out of a metal amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
oh yeah, sure. I just mean that if someone says, "5150 cleans are pretty mediocre", that that's pretty much the truth. I mean, even for high gain amps, I've tried a lot with much nicer cleans.

I agree that they're usable, and that also you're not buying it for the cleans, but yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Recto cleans beat 6505 cleans IMO. The cleans I get from my 5150 are average at best.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah, sure. I just mean that if someone says, "5150 cleans are pretty mediocre", that that's pretty much the truth. I mean, even for high gain amps, I've tried a lot with much nicer cleans.

I agree that they're usable, and that also you're not buying it for the cleans, but yeah.

Yeah, it's just annoying when people on this forum go around saying that the clean on 5150 is worthless and not usable at all, when if you know what you're doing - they're completely passable, without pedals

TBH though, with the right setup, the cleans can sound great. Granted, the cleans on the 6505+ are quite a bit better, but still, by most people's standards, aren't that great - but when I had mine, with my PRS, I was getting some pretty great sounds out of the clean and crunch channel with the Dragon II pickups
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 28, 2010,
yeah.

also, regarding the price, they're a lot more expensive here than in the US, a 6505 head will set you back the guts of £1000 here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah.

also, regarding the price, they're a lot more expensive here than in the US, a 6505 head will set you back the guts of £1000 here.

True, not an amp I would buy outside of the US, same with Mesa
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah mesa's even worse here
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2