Okay, so i'm buying a new amp in the next few weeks here, and i have to buy it without getting to try it because of my school schedule. i've been told a few different amps, the 6505 + combo, a bugera 6262 combo, krank rev jr pro halfstack, engl thunder drive 50w combo (used). my price range is around 800$, i could go up to a grand but i'd really like to stay around 800. any suggestions would be great!
I would look on ebay and try to get a mesa boogie dual rectifier; you might find one in the 800 dollar category but if not go for the peavey 6505
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by 53k5hun8
it'll be used for gigs

Randall RM50/80/100 combo (whichever you can find with the right price), and an Ultra XL module. You can also get a ton of modded modules (which is a whole 'nother world to explore) that would do great for ya. I recommend checking out mtsforum.grailtone.com if you're unfamiliar with the MTS series amps. They really are the best metal amp I've played (and I've had a Bugera 333XL, Marshall DSL (modded), Marshall 6100, FJA modded Peavey 6505, Voodoo modded 6505+, FJA modded Peavey Windsor, Randall V2...and I'm probably missing some haha).
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
DUDE HOLY CRAP GET AN IBANEZ TONEBLASTERR=]]] it's like the 6505 of solid states. Pros: the things a beast, it's only $250(get a b-52 AT-412 cab,great for distorted amps, and you're set! The cabs only 400) it doesn't have tubes, so you don't have to worry about changing them after awhile!!
Cons: it only has a 4 ohm impedance, so you can't hook it up to more than one cab=[
and it has no tubes, so it might be lacking a little punch, but since you save so much, get an eq pedal to fix that! Boss ge7?

Total: $750 (with pedal)
I really hope the person who suggested the toneblaster is kidding. Anyways I would go with the 6505 combo unless your playing something that requires decent cleans then you should go a different direction. If you want a stack try and find a 6262 used and get a good cab for it and i would think you would be within your budget. I havnt tried the krank or engl but ive never heard an engl i didnt like.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
I really hope the person who suggested the toneblaster is kidding. Anyways I would go with the 6505 combo unless your playing something that requires decent cleans then you should go a different direction. If you want a stack try and find a 6262 used and get a good cab for it and i would think you would be within your budget. I havnt tried the krank or engl but ive never heard an engl i didnt like.

cab suggestions?
I would look for something with some vintage 30's like a mesa cab...I've heard avatar makes some great cabs as well
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
I would look for something with some vintage 30's like a mesa cab...I've heard avatar makes some great cabs as well

This. I also have a b 52 st-412 cab with the vintage 30s and its pretty nice. If you look you can get them for pretty cheap. I got one cheap off a guy who got it along with a cheap ls-100 head and assumed they were both crap cause of the head. Look for people like that who are selling it cheap for whatever dumb reason.
haha, sweet deal. it looks like i'll be getting the 6262 or the 6505. depending if i can get a cab. thanks everyone for the help!
Also look for a used 5150. It is EXACTLY the same thing as a 6505 just the older version from when Van Halen worked with Peavey. They generally run cheaper than 6505s.
The pain about having a 6262 is that once the tubes blow, you have to get them re biased=[ but if you can find a local guitar tech to do that, go for it man. I know a guy in a local band who has a 6262, an the other guitarist has a 6505. The 6262 is even better.
Quote by punkkid1582
DUDE HOLY CRAP GET AN IBANEZ TONEBLASTERR=]]] it's like the 6505 of solid states. Pros: the things a beast, it's only $250(get a b-52 AT-412 cab,great for distorted amps, and you're set! The cabs only 400) it doesn't have tubes, so you don't have to worry about changing them after awhile!!
Cons: it only has a 4 ohm impedance, so you can't hook it up to more than one cab=[
and it has no tubes, so it might be lacking a little punch, but since you save so much, get an eq pedal to fix that! Boss ge7?

no.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
I'll throw in a vote for the Rev Jr. It's a great little amp and incredibly portable, which is a major plus for gigging/jamming. It's got plenty of gain, takes pedals quite well, and has some very nice cleans. The amp really opens up with a tube swap too. I put in some JJ 12AX7s and some Tung-Sol 5881s and it really gave the amp a much smoother and more articulate sound. I'd suggest looking into some other cabs as well, the Rev Jr. cab is good but the speaker could be better.
6505 is a badass amp.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
A mesa mark III.......
Quote by punkkid1582

Can you please send me some of your drugs because damn, they must be good ones.

TS: the 6505 sounds like what you want. The Randall and Mesa suggestions are good ones too - if you can find one for the money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 28, 2010,
Laney Gh100 / Vh 100

Wait you in USA???

My bad you will pay through the nose!

Jcm 900 / 2000

Dual / EARLY Triple Rec

Plenty of others - check out 311 for his cool look up thingybob (plus he knows his stuff too!Don't mean to sound gay but he is one of the few of us that actually gives good advice!)
I just sold my 6505+ It was a great metal amp for your budget. However, if you want something REALLY good dont get it. For $800-$1000 you can get a used ENGL Fireball, or a nice VHT. That does not include a cab though. Do a little more research.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
would a peavey 5150 with a mesa standard 4x12 sound good???
hows its cleans compared to 6505??
i guess i could start saving up for it... huh?

EDIT: seems sued XXX go for the same price... so which one is the best bet?? for metal amp.. but with fairly good cleans.. huh?
Last edited by Vendetta V at Sep 28, 2010,
The XXX has better cleans than the 6505, but most people like the 6505's dirty channel better. I personally like the XXX better all around but hey, to each his own. Not to beat this dead horse, but that Randall will seriously own for your purposes and you can definitely get it for under $1000. I got my head (an RM100), two modules, and cab for $980 total. Go to mtsforum.grailtone.com and check out the classifieds and post a "WTB" and see what offers you get. Good luck bro!
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
LOL jk bout the tone blaster, but for real, B-52 makes some badass cabs. And LOlL at people
who use "metal" pedals. Go for the 6262
try to get a good amp used...its a tough decision i say go tube..but maybe save some more money and get a better setup