First post so please don't crucify me...

I recently picked up double bass. i have been playing Bass for more than two years but just recently ( 2 weeks ago) started playing double bass. It's really fun and sounds great, but i have one major problem.

My fingertips start to hurt after playing for a while.

Now i'm tough, i can handle a little pain but what confuses me is that i must have built up calluses (callusi?) from playing roundwounds so why am i hurting when the bass strings are flat and smooth?

Thanks
im sure one of the upright people will answer this better, but if im not mistaken its gonna hurt until you get manly upright calluses as opposed to the sissy electric ones you have.
no sir away a papaya war is on
so it would make sense to assume that you use different parts of your fingers/your fingers in different ways on a double bas as opposed to electric?
Callouses from flats are so much more brutal, I can tell you for a fact. But once you get used to it, it'll be fine.

You're probably experiencing aching in your hands too, from having to press down harder and stretch further, but that too will go with time.

Just stick at it bro, and you'll be fine
thanks alot i guess i'll tough it out for the next little while. No like my wimpy hands are gonna make me stop playing that beast
Double bass plucking is different in the technique and force required. Your callouses from electric bass will only help so much, because it's a different beast. Give it some time, you'll get used to it.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Haha I'm in the same situation as you,

I thought "I already have callouses , it will be basically the same right?"

How very wrong I was. There are deep indentations into my fingers no. It's painful but worth it.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by joshmckinnon
First post so please don't crucify me...

Now i'm tough, i can handle a little pain but what confuses me is that i must have built up calluses (callusi?) from playing roundwounds so why am i hurting when the bass strings are flat and smooth?

Thanks

More friction on flatwounds than on roundwounds, meaning more heat, meaning more water attracted below the surface of the skin, ... ouch!

In another life, I took up double bass to billy-slap. Believe me, my slapping hand hurt a lot more than the fretting one, even though I had 3 fingers wrapped up in cotton dabs and tape. Shortly after, I bought an ice making machine to treat me to ice cold hand baths after rehearsals and gigs.
Last edited by ColdGin at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by ColdGin
More friction on flatwounds
Yep. You would think that the ridges in roundwounds would be more damaging to your fingertips, but in actuality, they create a lot less friction because your fingertip is in contact with a lot less surface area.

You get used to it after a while though.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I thought the same thing starting out on UB. Why the heck would my fingers hurt more on a flat surface? Theres just more contact from finger to string on flatwounded strings.

The pain that you get from playing on flats is a good thing imo, makes playing electric that much more easier.
pinga