I like grunge. Pearl Jam and Nirvana mainly. I love their music. But... they're both called grunge, yet I can't seem to find a way in which the the two relate musically except the way the lyrics are sung. So, my question is this. What makes a grunge song? I mainly write acoustic ballads/ love songs or electric hard rock songs. I want to improve my repetoire, and grunge should be the next genre in my eyes.

Nirvana I've noticed have a repeated bass line, with the guitar going loud- quiet- loud- quiet, throughout the song, with repeated melodies. However, if I look at Pearl Jam's songs, they are much more technical, with the guitars doing alot of fiddly parts, and the bass changing quite a bit throughout the song.

I just don't get it! What makes grunge grunge?
I'm a huge fan of "grunge".

whate made them grunge was this: Seattle in the 90's.

Other than that the only other thing is softer verses and harder more distorted chorus'
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
But, if you look at punk, such as The Sex Pistols, eg God Save The Queen + Anarchy In The UK, they have calmer verses, and louder heavier chorus's...
Grunge was a label created by media to simplify the popularity of Seattle based bands in the 90's. Most of those bands shared nothing except friendship. Due to this, they collaborated often making that scene a coherent phenomena. Then came the need to name it.
whate made them grunge was this: Seattle in the 90's

This^
i always felt grunge described more of a time and a place instead of actual music. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana are all considered grunge. Yet, musically, they are very different. They just all happen to be early 90'2 bands from Seattle.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Quote by iplayat11
This^
i always felt grunge described more of a time and a place instead of actual music. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana are all considered grunge. Yet, musically, they are very different. They just all happen to be early 90'2 bands from Seattle.

Exactly.
I just posted the other thing because if there's one thing they have in common MUSICALLY it's that.
But as venomtank said, some punk songs were similar, so it doesn't mean anything.

Also, what GH said.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Last edited by Krieger91 at Sep 27, 2010,
a drug addiction would help you get ahold of the sound though

i think if any bands sound fits the name of grunge though i woulda been alice in chains, dark and dirty
Alright, so it's basically is Seattle in the early 90's. Was there anything in particular going on around that time in Seattle that sparked the interest to make this 'thing' at that time?
when i think of grunge

sludge metal
punk
heavy metal
psychedelic
stoner metal
hard rock