Cut and paste from another review.
"Selectable 50W class AB (pentode mode) or 25W class AB (triode mode). The preamps-tubes are five 12AX7 tubes and the power tubes are two EL 34 tubes. It has a 3-way EQ and two channels (a clean and an overdrive one). It has 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs, so that every speaker can be plugged in. There is a footswitch for the channels"

Just started playing again after a long break. Have my little Spider IV 15 which is good enough for practice, but wanted something with tubes in it. Saw this on Craig's List for $300 so I jumped on it. It was used for a NAMM show or something then packed up and forgotten. I showed up to check it out and it was the ESP factory or warehouse or something. Damn left my ESP/LTD at home. Twanged on it for a bit to make sure it worked and took it home. Not a high gain amp by any means, I plugged my Pocket Pod into it and got something resembling brootalz, but didn't have a chance to dial it in or crank it up. I may go with a Floor POD or something through the clean channel. This thing is pretty loud even at the 25 watt setting. The shared EQ section kind of sucks and no effects loop, but I'm not complaining.
If I get sick of it it was cheap enough to sell the head and not give a shit, but I'll probably keep it for a while. Beat's the hell out of the Bugera V5 I was looking at, though that was cool in it's own way.
Nice, don't see too many of these around anymore.

HNAD!

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Not high-gain? Then what are those 5 12ax7 tubes for?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Not high-gain? Then what are those 5 12ax7 tubes for?

You can get a Black Sabbath, AC/DC kind of crunch out of it. Anything more will need a pedal, but I still haven't cranked it yet, waiting for the weekend.
Quote by maggotspawn
You can get a Black Sabbath, AC/DC kind of crunch out of it. Anything more will need a pedal, but I still haven't cranked it yet, waiting for the weekend.
That's insane. You could get that kind of crunch out of a single 12ax7. I need to track down a schematic...

edit: I say bust out the soldering iron and convert this puppy to a budget-SLO or 5150.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras
That's insane. You could get that kind of crunch out of a single 12ax7. I need to track down a schematic...

edit: I say bust out the soldering iron and convert this puppy to a budget-SLO or 5150.

I'll run out there real quick and see what it'll do. Back in a moment.
Quote by Kanthras

Two tubes for reverb, one for, so two tubes (4 triodes) for direct signal path.
i thought that amp had a ton of gain when i tried it.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by maggotspawn
I'll run out there real quick and see what it'll do. Back in a moment.
Beat ya.

http://www.el34world.com/charts/Schematics/EPIPHONE%20SO%20CAL50H%20SCHEMATIC%20VER1-DPPT.pdf

You didn't say it had reverb, makes much more sense now. lol

edit: If you want more gain, a quick and easy mod would be to add a cathode bypass cap to the third stage (bypass R15).
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Sep 27, 2010,
O.K. went out and turned it up for a split second on the 25 watt setting with the gain cranked. It actually does have some balls to it. Yeah, I think it's a keeper.
O.K. Back again. Went out and ****ed with it for a while. The amp is a little brittle sounding, I'm guessing it's the tubes. The Crunch channels is too brittle sounding for me when turned up. I got a better crunch sound out of it with a Metal Zone pedal into the clean channel. The clean channel has a lot of head room. Best sound out of it so far as far as crunch goes was the Pocket Pod into the clean channel. Still figuring it out. It was cheap enough to where it's good trading material at the least, but I'm going to stick with it for a little bit and see what I can do with it. I'm getting ready to run a line out of my Spider 15 into the clean channel. LOL
Last edited by maggotspawn at Sep 27, 2010,
put it on the 50 watt mode turn the master volume all the way down. turn the presence all the way down. turn the gain knob all the way up and then turn the master up until it's a comfortable level then turn the presence up. that amp wasn't that fuzzy or brittle at all.

Presence was turned down. Gain was up. Turned master up. Tried both 50 and 25 watts. This ain't my first rodeo. Not fuzzy just kind of brittle sounding. I measure tube amps by Marshall and Fender, and this amp sounds a tad brittle. Speakers in the cab may need to be broken in some though.
Last edited by maggotspawn at Sep 27, 2010,
Sheese man. Something is wrong. Brittle is not the way I would describe that amp. It was actually fairly smooth. Maybe your definition of good sounding is different than mine. The last thing I would do with this amp is run those pedals through it. Maybe you have a bad preamp tube or something.

:shrug;

Any way happy amp day. $300 is a great price providing it works.
Damn, GAS just hit...

HNAD man.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sheese man. Something is wrong. Brittle is not the way I would describe that amp. It was actually fairly smooth. Maybe your definition of good sounding is different than mine. The last thing I would do with this amp is run those pedals through it. Maybe you have a bad preamp tube or something.

:shrug;

Any way happy amp day. $300 is a great price providing it works.

ya. i'm not trying to be an ass man. I've played a lot of amps and I thought that amp sounded quite good. The opposite of brittle. It was smooth as heck. I actually thought it was too smooth...hard to dial in a lot of bite without turning the master up.

Something is wrong bro. did you plug just the guitar in?

Yeah, can't beat $300. Have to mess with it some more. It doesn't have those chime like cleans like a Fender or that full on balls out tone of a Marshall, or maybe my memory is totally ****ed after all the booze and drugs. I'll get it sorted out, one way or another.
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya. i'm not trying to be an ass man. I've played a lot of amps and I thought that amp sounded quite good. The opposite of brittle. It was smooth as heck. I actually thought it was too smooth...hard to dial in a lot of bite without turning the master up.

Something is wrong bro. did you plug just the guitar in?

Yeah, did this as well. Did everything cranked it played it down low.
I'll either get a sound I'm happy with out of it or I'll get rid of it. Still working with the EQ, and it might need to be played in a bit. The thing is like brand ****ing new. Going to go out and mess with it some more.
Messed around with it some more.
O.K. it probably isn't fair cause the Pocket Pod has effects, notably a slight compressor I'm running on some patchs, but I'm getting the best tones from the amp with it on the clean channel. I can get good cleans and blues crunch tones straight out of the amp, still a little brittle, but probably do to the lack of compressor. I said this in another thread, I'm older and into those processed sounds from the 80's, and as we all know tone is subjective. So I'm happy with my score and I think I'll be able to work with it.
HNAD man! You gotta love it for that price I haven't had the chance to play one myself but I want to! They seem like the perfect modding platform and have a lot of potential