Hey guys,

Ok so basically I bought myself a Vox VT30. It's my first amp ever because it takes me a long time to save up the money, because I'm unemployed, and I'm the only one in my family who plays guitar (anymore), so I know very little to nothing about amps.

I'm really liking it though, I've been playing with the effects for hours, but theres one thing thats confusing me

There's no distortion knob? I thought these were standards for amps. The only way I can get it to sound distortion-y is by turning the gain and volume right up, but then it's too gainy ...

Can someone shine some light on the subject?
The VT30 has 22 amp models (selected through the knob furthest to the left) so to get a distorted tone you must first select an appropriate model - roughly half are distorted in some way or another, ranging from light overdrive to all-out distortion. You can mould your tone from there, but sadly whatever happens you wont be able to adjust/fine-tune the distortion.

I suggest you save up for a distortion pedal, but in the mean time the VT includes enough models to have you covered for now.
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Sorry for the big picture, but:

See the "22 Amps" knob? Put it on "UK 25TH / UK'80S" with the gain and volume at about noon. See what happens. Then start experimenting with the gain, volume and equaliser knobs.

EDIT: ^I have no idea what you mean by "you can't fine-tune". You can adjust the amount of distortion as with any other amp.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 27, 2010,
Gain Knob = Distortion Knob

Basically.

The VT series aren't really high gain amps though.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809

They have more distortion than anyone should ever need. Granted there's amps that sound better for high-gain... but for what the VT costs, it's fine imo.
Quote by diceksox1809

Idk, the "UK Modern" channel can be pretty mean, its no Dual Rec but what dyou expect for £150?
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

I thought the presets just adjusted the manuel knobs to certain levels to example how the amp you set should sound? Not actually changed the whole amp to be like another one ... If you get me?

But thats for comments anyway, I was planning on getting a distortion pedal anyway when I got the money

Quote by diceksox1809
Gain Knob = Distortion Knob

Basically.

Is this always true?
Quote by WhiskeyFace
I thought the presets just adjusted the manuel knobs to certain levels to example how the amp you set should sound? Not actually changed the whole amp to be like another one ... If you get me?

The factory presets are based on specific songs and use an amp model that’s close to what was used on the recording (but that doesn’t mean your guitar will sound anything like the recording through a VT amp!). The gain knob acts as a distortion knob when the original amp has an overdrive channel; many of the amps it models do not, in which case the amp acts as a second volume knob.

The controls on the VT amps are just plan badly designed, the manual stinks, and it’s a shame because it makes a very good amp a PITA to use. Just read the manual a few times and keep at it.
Quote by WhiskeyFace

Nope. It's more like switching between different amplifiers (which is the whole point of modelling amps I might add). Try it and see. Personally, I always liked the AC30 model for cleans and the UK'80S model for rock tones. Never been so hot on the UK Modern one.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
But thats for comments anyway, I was planning on getting a distortion pedal anyway when I got the money

Imo, even a good distortion pedal hardly improves the amp's tone much. It's kinda frustrating to spend a load of cash on a pedal to find out it makes the amp sound a bit different, but not really better.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
Is this always true?

With guitar amps, it is true almost always.
Quote by TheQuailman
Imo, even a good distortion pedal hardly improves the amp's tone much. It's kinda frustrating to spend a load of cash on a pedal to find out it makes the amp sound a bit different, but not really better.

Well I the pedal will probably last longer than the amp because the amp is only really for home practice, and I'll be using my buddies amp when jamming with them.

So to confirm things, its like: the presets are different amps built into the VT and they all have their own sound? If so, then is the Manuel setting just like the VT's own personal sound?
Quote by WhiskeyFace

So to confirm things, its like: the presets are different amps built into the VT and they all have their own sound? If so, then is the Manuel setting just like the VT's own personal sound?

No. You can have either a preset or the manual mode switched on. The VT always models some amp. If a preset is used, whatever settings are saved in said preset will be what you hear. The positions of the amp controls are ignored (turn a knob when using a preset to "activate" the knob and adjust the preset).
When the manual mode is used, whatever the controls are set at will be what you hear.
did you read the manual that came with your amp? or google?

Look. The VT is a modeling amp. It's got 22 amp models alright.

You see that first knob that is right next to 22 amp models? You see how there is a button next to it that says A: Green/B: Red? Each position of the knob has 2 amps that it models. Green is the top. Red is the bottom.

Starting from the lowest position on the dial.

Twin/modded twin , 112 tweed, 212 tweed, super verb 410, tweed 410, ac15topboost, ac15, ac30, ac30 top boost, trainwreck, i dunno, ac50, ac30, marshall, orange, jcm800, recto, modern marshall, orange, soldano, peavey.

Then you have gain which is your distortion followed by volume which is your volume then treble middle bass reverb and then master which is your overall volume. THE MASTER is not saved in the presets. that's why you have both volume and master! You can save 3 different amps and then equalize them with the master volume.

Then back to the left you have preset mode | manual mode.

The preset mode works with the buttons above it. For each amp red/green you have a P1,P2, P3
P1 is the amp, p2 is the amp with some effects, p3 is the amp as it was used on a song.

Manual mode in manual mode you get to set the knobs for each amp red or green and then save them in your bank.

then you got some effects

if you hold down the bypass and the tap button you get to adjust the amps built in noise gate.

on the back of the amp is the wattage selector.

read your damn manual. the controls aren't hard to understand. In fact it makes the peavy vypr look like a spaceship.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
this amp is really not that confusing to use.... All of this is said very clearly in the manual.
You might also want to read up on amp terminology to get further familiar with the controls.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by AcousticMirror

Thank you but I could of done without the patronising, as I said in the OP this is my first amp and I know little to nothing about them, you would of been in my position once too.
At the end of the day you could memorise the manuel down to the letter, but nothing beats turning the amp on and just exploring the tonal possibilities for yourself. After a couple of weeks you should be familier with which presets you like, and how to adjust the settings to get the sound you want.

Good luck my friend
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Last edited by barfrog at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Thank you but I could of done without the patronising, as I said in the OP this is my first amp and I know little to nothing about them, you would of been in my position once too.

nope first thing i did was go to the vox website before i bought my vt15.
Quote by AcousticMirror
did you read the manual that came with your amp? or google?

Look. The VT is a modeling amp. It's got 22 amp models alright.

You see that first knob that is right next to 22 amp models? You see how there is a button next to it that says A: Green/B: Red? Each position of the knob has 2 amps that it models. Green is the top. Red is the bottom.

Starting from the lowest position on the dial.

Twin/modded twin , 112 tweed, 212 tweed, super verb 410, tweed 410, ac15topboost, ac15, ac30, ac30 top boost, trainwreck, i dunno, ac50, ac30, marshall, orange, jcm800, recto, modern marshall, orange, soldano, peavey.

Then you have gain which is your distortion followed by volume which is your volume then treble middle bass reverb and then master which is your overall volume. THE MASTER is not saved in the presets. that's why you have both volume and master! You can save 3 different amps and then equalize them with the master volume.

Then back to the left you have preset mode | manual mode.

The preset mode works with the buttons above it. For each amp red/green you have a P1,P2, P3
P1 is the amp, p2 is the amp with some effects, p3 is the amp as it was used on a song.

Manual mode in manual mode you get to set the knobs for each amp red or green and then save them in your bank.

then you got some effects

if you hold down the bypass and the tap button you get to adjust the amps built in noise gate.

on the back of the amp is the wattage selector.

read your damn manual. the controls aren't hard to understand. In fact it makes the peavy vypr look like a spaceship.

If we're going to be accurate about models...

Dumble clean channel/Dumble mod Fender Showman
Fender Deluxe/Fender 2x12 Tweed
Fender Super Reverb 410/Fender Bassman 410
Vox AC15/Vox AC15TB
Vox Heritage AC30HH/Vox AC30TB
Trainwreck/Dumble Overdrive Special
Vox AC50cp2/Vox AC30BM with treble booster
Marshall Jubilee/Marshall JCM800
Peavey 5150/Mesa Boogie Rectifier
Marshall JVM 410/ Marshall DSL100
Diezel VH4/VHT Pittbull

That's listing the beginning to the end of the knob and shows the green/red light model next to each other, all in that order.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by sg4ever
If we're going to be accurate about models...

Dumble clean channel/Dumble mod Fender Showman
Fender Deluxe/Fender 2x12 Tweed
Fender Super Reverb 410/Fender Bassman 410
Vox AC15/Vox AC15TB
Vox Heritage AC30HH/Vox AC30TB
Trainwreck/Dumble Overdrive Special
Vox AC50cp2/Vox AC30BM with treble booster
Marshall Jubilee/Marshall JCM800
Peavey 5150/Mesa Boogie Rectifier
Marshall JVM 410/ Marshall DSL100
Diezel VH4/VHT Pittbull

That's listing the beginning to the end of the knob and shows the green/red light model next to each other, all in that order.

ya that.