|--------------------------|
|--7-----------------7--9--|
|-----7-----------7--------|
|--------7-----7-----------|
|-----------9--------------|
|--------------------------|

to the point, what's the best way to play this?

just using index finger and moving up the strings or barring/muting?
barre it. DONT let the notes ring for too long if you want it tosound just like the song. index finger.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Agreed. Barre the 7's with the index. Best way to mute is to try "rolling" your index finger slightly to mute unwanted notes (kinda like you do in sweep picking -- though this might be slightly advanced). Otherwise left (picking) hand muting would suffice.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
rolling my left hand index finger on the fretboard, right?

i've been trying it - it works most the time but feels a bit clumsy especially when i come down for the last 7 on the B, cos it's kinda like under the first knuckle of my index finger and sometimes it's a little buzzy.

sorry if that's a bad explanation - more practice i suppose.

thanks for the replies!
Yeah what they all said, I also like to do a quick bend on the lower 9. Don't worry if the barreing sounds dodgy, it's like sweep picking, irritating at first, but you'll get the hang on it eventually, just takes some practice
Quote by Darkfly
rolling my left hand index finger on the fretboard, right?

i've been trying it - it works most the time but feels a bit clumsy especially when i come down for the last 7 on the B, cos it's kinda like under the first knuckle of my index finger and sometimes it's a little buzzy.

sorry if that's a bad explanation - more practice i suppose.

thanks for the replies!

You'll get this with practise, not even just practising this song but from over-time guitar playing. But you learn to mute by just lifting the finger enough to stop the ring which is what they mean by rolling but in my mind rolling seems like a bigger action than what is required.

Also in terms of not the last 7 being under your knuckle this shouldn't be too much of a problem, because you should be using your ring finger for the 9 fret note, I use my ring finger to mute the D string whilst also playing the A string.

Again it will eventually come naturally to you, but good luck with it! Muse is a great band and has some of the best guitar riffs ever (<3 New Born and Stockholm) Also I recommend learning some of the stuff they do live, for example Stockholm Syndrome live at Wembley, at the end of the song there's like another few minutes of some really simple but sick riffs. Learning these helped define my play style and performance on stage, they are the best thing to rock out to!