My new rock-band, Dead End Pawns, is getting along very nicely. We existed since april and got some gigs upcoming this fall - we have 10 originals so far

Anyways, I was trying to mess around with some logo ideas that could incorporate our initials, DEP, in a simple, abstract and yet stylish way.

I am a visually artistic idiot, so these are my best attempts after some noodling around - critique is very welcome. I'm not sure I like the implementation of the "E".

http://i53.tinypic.com/3339unn.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/119yq75.jpg

myspace.com/deadendpawns

UPDATE AS OF POST #10:

Second try - let me know which one you prefer

http://i51.tinypic.com/2dhcpoi.jpg
Last edited by xFilth at Sep 28, 2010,
i like it. .

but i think you should put an R in there, so it spells "Derp" just for the lols

your logo is good , keep it
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
i like it. .

but i think you should put an R in there, so it spells "Derp" just for the lols

your logo is good , keep it

Haha, yeah! We're always joking about naming our first EP DErP :P

But thanks a lot!
I like it, but I think it might've been cool with like a chessboard hallway with a chess pawn on it, with that logo on a wall behind the pawn. Kinda representing the dead end-ness with the pawn. Maybe a cool album art idea.
I'm FAT!
Quote by tatatotfolife
I like it, but I think it might've been cool with like a chessboard hallway with a chess pawn on it, with that logo on a wall behind the pawn. Kinda representing the dead end-ness with the pawn. Maybe a cool album art idea.

Definitely! Thanks for the suggestion. That's definitely a cover-art worthy idea But for the logo itself, we will keep it as simple as possible
I actually think that looks great save the E. You're going to get plenty of comments that it looks like an arrow, and maybe like the "belongs to" symbol in mathematics from a clever few. I feel like if the E were more pronounced, that is to say more explicit, then it would be more obvious what the logo says. Aesthetically I have to say it looks good. The color scheme is slightly overplayed (camo, anyone?) but that's a minor issue of taste.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
I actually think that looks great save the E. You're going to get plenty of comments that it looks like an arrow, and maybe like the "belongs to" symbol in mathematics from a clever few. I feel like if the E were more pronounced, that is to say more explicit, then it would be more obvious what the logo says. Aesthetically I have to say it looks good. The color scheme is slightly overplayed (camo, anyone?) but that's a minor issue of taste.

Thought about the arrow pointing left, but not the "belongs to" symbol I could round off the edges to make it so, but I dunno if it serves a point :P

Tbh, I don't mind the E not being more pronounced. When the singer first saw the logo, he didn't see the 3 letters at first, and actually we think that is a kinda cool thing, that people can go for a while and not realize it's saying "DEP"

Colour-scheme is subject to change! I agree that it can look a bit cheesy.
For me, it's not the subtlety of the E that bothers me, it's that it looks different from the D and the P. The D and P are 90 degree angles and positive space, the E is 45 degree angles and negative space.

I'd say take the circle in the middle out, and use the line connecting the bottom of the d with the top of the p as a crossbar for lower case e. I attached a pic to show what I mean.
Attachments:
dep.png
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
i really like this. Especially the way it looks. It looks raw and somewhat subtle in an effective way. NICE!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!