i got a band and i got the software to record i have cubase studio 5 along with fl studio but the interface thing is driving me nuts. i would like an interface that can handle distortion/give good quality distortion well same thing with clean but clean seems like its the easy part. btw i have no clue about firewire does it work with macs only or windows too ? do you need special cables for firewire or no ? last but not least for drums will i need to get a second interface or no ? any advice will help
Quote by diofan88
If by knife you mean penis, and by shred you mean sex

then im soo with you

SHAKE AND BAKE
Firewire ports can be found on Macs or PCs. Make sure the interface has a firewire port, get a firewire cable and plug in. Theres not really a huge amount of different between USB2 and Firewire. it's for Audiophiles only really.

i use the M Audio Fast Track Pro meself, works pretty well for Guitar Di'd. Any M Audio interface or M-Box would work well. MOTU are also very good, but they need a decent interface with less features.
Quote by Afroboy267
Firewire ports can be found on Macs or PCs. Make sure the interface has a firewire port, get a firewire cable and plug in. Theres not really a huge amount of different between USB2 and Firewire. it's for Audiophiles only really.

i use the M Audio Fast Track Pro meself, works pretty well for Guitar Di'd. Any M Audio interface or M-Box would work well. MOTU are also very good, but they need a decent interface with less features.

i checked some songs on your ug page and i like the quality of the sound alot did you record the drums with it too ??
Quote by diofan88

then im soo with you

SHAKE AND BAKE
Quote by Afroboy267

i checked some songs on your ug page and i like the quality of the sound alot did you record the drums with it too ??
Quote by diofan88

then im soo with you

SHAKE AND BAKE
Quote by Davetastic11
i would like an interface that can handle distortion/give good quality distortion well same thing with clean but clean seems like its the easy part.

Your interface shouldn't give you distortion. Any distortion you want recorded should either come from your amp, or from some sort of software modelling. A million-dollar studio will have channel strips from the likes of SSL, Neve, etc. They do not give distortion - at least not in the terms you're speaking of.

Quote by Davetastic11

btw i have no clue about firewire does it work with macs only or windows too ? do you need special cables for firewire or no ?

As was said above, either Mac or PC. Yes, you do need special cables, but any firewire interface that you buy will come with the appropriate cable. The question is, does your computer have a firewire port? (if it doesn't you can get them fairly inexpensively - I bought one last week for about $20)

FWIW, Firewire is generally considered better than USB2, basically because it streams more reliably. Either will give you a good track count, but PCI will be faster than either of them.

Quote by Davetastic11

last but not least for drums will i need to get a second interface or no ? any advice will help

Here's the "let's go spend some money" part of your question. Of course, since there are no half-decent cracks around of any version of Cubase 5 that I know of, you have already either spent money on software, or it came bundled with an interface you have already purchased. In any case, you've spent some already.

To record drums, you need a certain number of inputs. You can make due with four, but more is better. When I track a band, I like to have at least six tracks on drums - kick, snare, 2 overheads, floor tom, rack toms.

A Delta 66 will do that, but it won't give you preamps, so you would need a mixer or something to get the mic signals into it. There are interfaces out there that have 8 preamps built right in, along with a couple of digital inputs as well. With that, you don't really need a mixer. I'm not sure they start at any less than about $500 though.

Now, you *could* get a simple two-channel interface and then add another interface when recording drums, but that can get complicated. Some interfaces will allow this, and some will even play nicely together. Of course, why have two if you can just buy one and do it right the first time?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Davetastic11

The songs on there were recorded with a Boss Micro-BR. The drums were drumkit from hell. I haven't uploaded any songs I've recorded with my new setup yet.
Quote by axemanchris
Your interface shouldn't give you distortion. Any distortion you want recorded should either come from your amp, or from some sort of software modelling. A million-dollar studio will have channel strips from the likes of SSL, Neve, etc. They do not give distortion - at least not in the terms you're speaking of.

FWIW, Firewire is generally considered better than USB2, basically because it streams more reliably. Either will give you a good track count, but PCI will be faster than either of them.

To record drums, you need a certain number of inputs. You can make due with four, but more is better. When I track a band, I like to have at least six tracks on drums - kick, snare, 2 overheads, floor tom, rack toms.

CT

i was wondering about the firewire usb alot too thanks and what is pci ?? i was planning on having alot of mics but theirs that money issue again lol and by the destortion i ment like i have a digitech rp255 and it has a usb cable but when i plug it through the usb the destortion sounds terrible it seems like when its through the amp it has more room to "breath" and it sounds so much better but i guess its the pedal and not the inteface
Quote by diofan88

then im soo with you

SHAKE AND BAKE