This may be a medical thing again but it's worth ruling out crappy technique beforehand.

Anyway, in the last couple of weeks I've had my hand lock up on me several times, in my fretting hand.

I usually have my plucking hand so my entire hand is being used to play the bass (I play a wide-necked 5-string bass). Usually my ring and little finger stay tucked together and out of the way while the index, middle and thumb do the work (I play slap).

Now more recently I've found my hand locks up, usually with my hand locked in a claw position and my little finger tucked right into my palm and my ring finger at an odd angle with the nail facing right down.

So, anyone got any suggestions? Could it be anything to do with my technique or something else?

If it's a medical thing, then I'll delete the thread.
Last edited by Fassa Albrecht at Sep 27, 2010,
I would recommend stretching before you play too. Don't play with cold hands!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
wait wich hand is this, you say fretting but then describe your picking technique. either way i have no idea, I would suggest relaxing our hand and stretching.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
wait wich hand is this, you say fretting but then describe your picking technique. either way i have no idea, I would suggest relaxing our hand and stretching.

I meant my plucking/slapping hand, sorry. Wasn't thinking as I typed.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Now more recently I've found my hand locks up, usually with my hand locked in a claw position and my little finger tucked right into my palm and my ring finger at an odd angle with the nail facing right down.
So, anyone got any suggestions? Could it be anything to do with my technique or something else?

Sounds like a muscle cramp. Muscle contracts and fingers curl up in a ball.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Sounds like a muscle cramp. Muscle contracts and fingers curl up in a ball.

If it's a muscle cramp, why've I suddenly started having bother now? I'm not playing more than I have always done and my technique hasn't changed either.
Idk. I've taught myself slap and I'm sure I don't have the best technique and that's never happened to me. I've had my thumb be in pain from not slapping in the right place on my thumb when I first started. Slapping is definitely rough on your hands. It's given me the worst blisters and aches and just tiring out my hand. Never had a lock up from playing though and I've been playing slap around 5+ years

I randomly get those painful Charlie horses in my leg sometimes. I it painful when you get the claw?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
Last edited by Diminishedfaith at Sep 28, 2010,
Yes, Fassa, it's a medical issue. You're a mental attention seeker. It's not a physio you need, it's a f*cking shrink.
I and various others have offered you a number of solutions, for your various complaints, borne of our own experiences.
Either sort your sh*t out, or quit. It's pointless whinging like this which really puts me off this board. Go on, ban me...
Quote by creepingjesus73
Yes, Fassa, it's a medical issue. You're a mental attention seeker. It's not a physio you need, it's a f*cking shrink.
I and various others have offered you a number of solutions, for your various complaints, borne of our own experiences.
Either sort your sh*t out, or quit. It's pointless whinging like this which really puts me off this board. Go on, ban me...

That's not really necessary is it?

Fassa, you've come here more than enough times complaining of medical problems relating to your bass playing. For the first and last time, none of us are doctors so make an appointment to see your GP.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
She/he/it asks similar questions in the pit all the time too. Usually drum related though.