Hey guys, I've been trying to get a good JPJ bass sound and can't quite get it. I've got the Jazz bass and even an Acoustic brand amp. I need help with the settings on my amp. Here they are:

Freq: -10dB notch at frequencies from 50Hz to 1kHz - approx 250Hz at 12 o'clock

Low: boost +12dB or cut -12dB freqencies centered around 63Hz

Low Mid: boost +12dB or cut -12dB freqencies centered around 150Hz

Low Mid: boost +12dB or cut -12dB freqencies centered around 350Hz

High Mid: boost +12dB or cut -12dB freqencies centered around 800Hz

High: boost +12dB or cut -12dB freqencies centered around 2kHz

High: boost +12dB or cut -12dB freqencies centered around 5kHz

Horn: On/Off

There, I appreciate any help!

Thanks!!
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
I can't help you out with the setting as I am not familiar at all with JPJs tone. but the acoustic brands amps for sale these days are a far cry form the ones he used.
no sir away a papaya war is on
hmmmm... alrighty then.

Anyone else?
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Which general timeframe tone are you looking for? Like his early flatwound (LZ 1+2), early roundwound (LZ 3+), or more recent (TCV)?
why dont you sit there and just tweak the knobs. figure out how the knobs work together to get the soun d you think is close.Aside from the freq the knob actually cuts or boosts, when you turn one up, the others change Freq, so you have to compenstate. Just use your ear and a consistent attack. for JPJ, old school sound like GOod times bad times. i usually boost the lower mids, cut the High, and slightly lower the high mid to my liking. also for the jazz bass, i lower the vol on both pickups to about 80 percent output, but cut more on the bridge p-up. Also your never going to sound exactly like him...as hes overdubbed the bass tracks with different bass amps, basses, and tone comes from the hands (fretting and pluckin) plus environmetal factors like studios, halls, and bathrooms.
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
Last edited by CommBreakDown at Sep 28, 2010,