Hi everyone, this is my first question on UG.

I'm playing in drop G on my 25.5 Squier Tele, and it intonates, sounds and plays fine with 13.5-70 gauge strings. It's properly set up and everything. Just 2 months ago, I bought a Dean ML 79, which has a 24.75 short scale, and I want to use this in drop G too, since it is my main tuning. It came setup with 10-46 in standard tuning.
I've heard people have had problems intonating 24.75 guitars with such heavy strings in low tunings. I'm going to use 13.5-70 gauge strings on it. I know In Flames used drop G on 24.75 Gibsons and Esps, and Nile plays drop A on 24.75 Deans. I'm good at setting up guitars so that's not a problem.

Do you people think it'll intonate and play properly?

Btw, I'm planning on installing some EMGs or Blackouts soon. I play extreme metal mainly.
Last edited by NatG at Sep 27, 2010,
I think you'll be fine. Just try it, what harm could it bring?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
get a bass,. also creeping deaths avatar is prtty much my expression right now.

for real though you'll probably be all right.
no sir away a papaya war is on
As long as you know how to file a nut correctly I guess it can’t hurt to try. I’m sure someone makes .014–.80s.
Quote by CreepingDeath13
fooking hell, drop G !?!?

Meshugga, After the Burial and the Acacia Strain play in drop F on 8 stringers.

Theres a band out there that plays in drop double D but I cant remember who.
pinga
My 7 string is going to have a low G on it...Open C tuning ftw!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Dude...

Just get a bass...
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

you'll be fine, the only thing is that you might want to get thicker strings to compensate for the shorter scale length, basically you could do it but the strings might feel looser to you since the scale is shorter
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by Cb4rabid
Meshugga, After the Burial and the Acacia Strain play in drop F on 8 stringers.

Theres a band out there that plays in drop double D but I cant remember who.

A Plea For Purging has a cover song in drop D an octave down. That might be who you're thinking of.

Anyways, I've tried tons of extreme tunings on tons of guitars. Slap some 13's on there and you should be fine!
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

I was less surprised at the "Drop G" than I was at "drop G on a Tele"

Anyway, thick strings for tension and you'll be good. Don't some people string up with bass strings when they need ridiculously low tunings on their guitar?
Quote by Unskathed
A Plea For Purging has a cover song in drop D an octave down. That might be who you're thinking of.

Anyways, I've tried tons of extreme tunings on tons of guitars. Slap some 13's on there and you should be fine!

I hink so, unless theres a band who writes/plays in double D.

Quote by Seref
I was less surprised at the "Drop G" than I was at "drop G on a Tele"

Anyway, thick strings for tension and you'll be good. Don't some people string up with bass strings when they need ridiculously low tunings on their guitar?

Im not sure, but I know theres an online store that sells up to .98 and its a guitar string. That same store sells a whopping .240 as a subcontrabass string I forgot what store it was though
pinga
Heck, I thought drop C on my Strat was low. This is like taking a baritone guitar and tuning it down the same amount. BUT YOU'RE DOING THIS ON A FENDER SCALE GUITAR?? How on earth do the strings even stay in the nut?
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by CreepingDeath13
fooking hell, drop G !?!?

I've used Drop Bb an octave down, it's amazing. It's like an explosion.
Bass gets all the chicks man

Ive dropped my bass down to an inaudible E an octave down. Pretty intense.
pinga
Yeah, but bass players don't get chicks.

Besides, no one wants to be the Murderface of their band.
Quote by Seref
Yeah, but bass players don't get chicks.

Too bad he's not into chicks...
Quote by rmr024

Gay bass players don't count. Gays always attract chicks, and his gay levels outweigh his bassist levels.
Quote by Seref
Gay bass players don't count. Gays always attract chicks, and his gay levels outweigh his bassist levels.

Just about everything outweighs his bass ability.

Including his eyeliner.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Just about everything outweighs his bass ability.

Including his eyeliner.

LOOOL
At least he admitted in an interview he was the least talented member of the band.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Unskathed
LOOOL
At least he admitted in an interview he was the least talented member of the band.

...so? He's still a self-centered douche.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
...so? He's still a self-centered douche.

Duh, he's a popular musician.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

A lot of people here are saying to get a bass. I sort of agree with them haha. But since some people like to play in those insanely low tunings, I actually recommend a 7 string guitar for anything drop A or lower. I mean, you're getting those bone crushing lows, and you're still getting that high E for soloing
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
It'll be floppy as hell, shorter scale means less tension, so, you'll prolly need 15 gauge strings to even make a decent attempt.

Also, drop G, is that like brown note tuning or something? You must have lots of diapers around. I'm just playen.
I was expecting this to be drop G on a 7 string. Drop G on a Tele? Let me also add a

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by the_perdestrian
get a bass,. also creeping deaths avatar is prtty much my expression right now.

for real though you'll probably be all right.

Retarded to say that. Bass and Guitar don't sound the same even when the guitar is that low tuned.