Hey guys, I really need some help with my guitar.

My guitar is the Squire "Vintage Modified Tele", which I bought 6 months ago.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301230506

I love the guitar but I am really having trouble keeping it in tune!

My strings keep going flat (even in our cold shed where they should go SHARP).

I have tried new strings (I put them on this way

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc -

the guy has done work for Ace Frehley, so I trust him), stretching the strings, lubing the nut with graphite powder and I have 3/4 winds on the tuning peg for each string (I tried having about 8 winds per string and this didn't help). I use D'Addario strings (light top/heavy bottom). Although the other strings don't stay in tune perfectly, it mostly seems to be the B and G strings that are the issue. I have to retune frequently and sometimes the B and G will go out by half a semitone! This is driving me mad! Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Jono -
Last edited by Jono.Crowden at Sep 27, 2010,
This guy has a good technique.

Mind you I usually string a guitar myself. I do NOT use a winder, as I can't afford it. I always keep the string as low as possible. When you tune, do you tune from a high pitch to a low pitch?
Quote by Charvel1995
This guy has a good technique.

Mind you I usually string a guitar myself. I do NOT use a winder, as I can't afford it. I always keep the string as low as possible. When you tune, do you tune from a high pitch to a low pitch?

Yes I keep the string low too. As I said, the strings are going flat so I always have to tune UP to a higher pitch. I have read that you shouldn't tune DOWN to the pitch you want, but this is not an issue in my case.

Thanks for the reply.
If you tune from a low pitch to a high pitch, t helps keep them in tune, so this is weird. Also, how often do you change the strings and clean them?
Quote by Charvel1995
If you tune from a low pitch to a high pitch, t helps keep them in tune, so this is weird. Also, how often do you change the strings and clean them?

I didn't use to clean them, but I have started doing that. I re-string quite often. I put new strings on a week ago and it didn't help. I put new strings on yesterday and it still didn't help.
Hmm, cleaning them helps mine keep in tune. But you use different strings than I do.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/category-916-Nickel-Wound#

I use the Heavy Bottoms usually (2nd last pack, top row) Very good quality. But currently I have Dean Markley cold steels.

Maybe try a different brand of string, I found after switching from Daadario (Forgive my spelling error) that my strings stay in tune better
One thing I would suggest is that 8 winds around the peg is to much.

Also are your tuners loose and sloppy when there is not a string on? Like Can you move the nut under the peg? Is it only finger tight. How loose is the peg itself can you wiggle it?

My suggestion 3/4 winds no more no less. Get some Quality tuners. Squier factory tuners are not the greatest.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by Charvel1995
Hmm, cleaning them helps mine keep in tune. But you use different strings than I do.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/category-916-Nickel-Wound#

I use the Heavy Bottoms usually (2nd last pack, top row) Very good quality. But currently I have Dean Markley cold steels.

Maybe try a different brand of string, I found after switching from Daadario (Forgive my spelling error) that my strings stay in tune better

I have tried other strings. Ernie Balls, GHS Boomers and now D'Addario. They all do the same thing.
Quote by boxcarmonument

Also are your tuners loose and sloppy when there is not a string on? Like Can you move the nut under the peg? Is it only finger tight. How loose is the peg itself can you wiggle it?

My suggestion 3/4 winds no more no less. Get some Quality tuners. Squier factory tuners are not the greatest.

I am pretty sure they aren't loose. I can't remember exactly, but I am fairly certain. But yeah I did read that it could be the tuners.

Thanks for the reply.
Quote by boxcarmonument

What would you say are "quality" tuners?
Check your intonation. (Check if the harmonics of the 12th fret match playing a note on the 12 fret)
Epiphone SG-G400.
Crate Flexwave 15W
Korg Toneworks Modeling Signal Processor AX3G
Quote by roy944
Check your intonation. (Check if the harmonics of the 12th fret match playing a note on the 12 fret)

I have set my intonation and it's (almost) perfect. The guitar PLAYS in tune, it just won't STAY in tune, if you catch my drift.
Most likely the tuners. First try and make sure the screws on the back and the bushings on the front are tight. If they are already tight, then you should try new tuners.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?