im looking to get a 7 string to expand my metal horzions, im playing a les paul with heavy strings in drop c sometimes b, and im looking at mh417, ( http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH417-7String-Electric-Guitar?sku=584496 ) i was stoked when it finally came out and had my sights set on it. But i was crawling around on musicians friend (obvisouly) and was reminded of the c7-7 string. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-C7-7String-Electric-Guitar?sku=484198. the reviews are always hella good on musicians friend so i wanted some real opions on the guitars. is the schecter worth the extra 200 over ther ltd. tone wise, pros and cons of each? i will say the schecter with white finish does look alot sicker than the ltd
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
deathmetal, deathcore, hardcore.

whitechapel, black dahila murder, suicide silence, whisteria cottage, SOME btmh, as blood runs black, etc. etc.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
If you've never tried a 7 string before, I highly suggest you buy an Ibanez. I have pretty large hands, and the Schecter necks feel giant in them. I can play on them, but they're just bulky and not very good for a first 7 string IMO. I've never tried an ESP 7 string, but judging by their 6 string necks, I'd expect their 7 to be on the bigger side as well.

An Ibanez RG7620 (or 7621 since you're looking at stop-tails) would be the best transition guitar IMO. The neck is super thin, so - even though the neck is quite a bit wider (as all 7 strings are), the difference is barely noticeable, because the neck itself doesn't feel like a baseball bat.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
lol im used to thick necks i have a les paul. ive played 7 strings just never owned one. i played a ibanez 7 and schecter 7 and a ltd 7 at guitar center several times but they all had bolt on necks and lacked actives, bolt ons are definate no-no for me, and id rather just have actives than have to install them. im finding out its a bitch to install, im trying to figure out how to install sd blackouts into my les paul atm
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
if you need the ability to shred easily, then i'd go with the LTD or an ibanez, since they have 25.5 scale lengths. the schecter has a 26.5 or something like that, as well as a really thick neck, making it tighter on the low strings, which is good for riffage and stuff, but makes it quite difficult to play fast leads especially if you're not used to seven strings.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by OurRequiem
lol im used to thick necks i have a les paul. ive played 7 strings just never owned one. i played a ibanez 7 and schecter 7 and a ltd 7 at guitar center several times but they all had bolt on necks and lacked actives, bolt ons are definate no-no for me, and id rather just have actives than have to install them. im finding out its a bitch to install, im trying to figure out how to install sd blackouts into my les paul atm

So I am. I have a Les Paul. I actually like thick necks on 6 strings, but Schecter's 7 string neck is depressing. It's too bad, cause I'd love to own a Loomis sig, but I just can't play on those necks

Also - I used to be anti-bolt on too, you've just not played a good bolt on. Most good bolts I've played have more articulation and sound more aggressive than a neck thru. Oh and active pickups are gross
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
well ive never come across a decent bolt on

as for the actives...disagree. i love actives
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem
well ive never come across a decent bolt on

as for the actives...disagree. i love actives

PRS CE, Ibanez Prestige, Charvel/Jackson USA; there's a bunch out there.

I can respect someone who likes Actives over passive, but most people who say that have never played a good set of passives
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The main different in these guitars is scale length. Do you want big frets or average frets? If I could go back, (I have an Ibanez Prestige 7 string 27' scale length) I would've got a smaller scale length.

Bigger seemed better at the time.

But really it's about how big your hands are. If you are currently having trouble playing higher notes then you need a bigger scale length. If not, don't go any bigger.
I have the Schecter C7 and the longer scale allows you to use thinner low B strings. I'm disappointed that LTD went with 25.5" on the MH-417, instead of the 27" on their discontinued SC-607B.

You can buy those, along with the other recommended models above, for a lot less in the used market.

You can't go wrong with the MIJ Ibanez RG7621 (Basswood). Basswood is neutral enough that it'll allow you to differentiate the characteristics of different PUs.

For the price of the new Schecter, you can also score a used Jeff Loomis in very minty condition. Check out the 7 string thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356444 Peeps there can provide some additional input and other suggestions.