Page 1 of 2
Is there a pedal that you can use in conjuction with a tube amps overdrive to increase the overdrive, that would sound all syntheticy and crap
I use a Boss SD-1 Overdrive pedal with all of my tube amps. Not sure if it's the sound you're looking for, but it's what I use and like.

take your pick.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
an overdrive pedal
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
yes, it's called an overdrive. I've called them before to suggest a name change, but they won't listen to me. It's a very confusing name, after all. "B00000000000000000000000000000000st" would be much better.

EDIT: seriously, though, you have several different options:

overdrive will increase the amp's gain, but normally colours the tone a bit and adds a bit of its own dirt.

clean boost will increase the amp's gain- should be pretty transparent and not add its own clipping, but some do, and some colour the tone.

treble boost- never actually tried one of these ( ) but I assume it works in a similar way to a clean boost, except with a bit more emphasis on the higher frequencies.

you can use an eq like a clean boost too, or as a frequency specific boost.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 27, 2010,
Hey, thats awsum any one have any suggestions for a good overdrive pedal to work with a blues deluxe amp when your biggest influence is hendrix?
check my edit, it's really up to you. hendrix used fuzz a lot too, that might be worth considering, though it's not really a boost as such.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just get a Tubescreamer.

Safest bet.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
whats a tube screamer like? i really hate the synthetic sound of a distortion pedal, i dont want to get anything that will really compromise the intergrity of my amps natural feel id just love a bit more gain
big mid hump, bit of a cut in the bass.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
big mid hump, bit of a cut in the bass.

...and a nice boost in tightness and gain!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
an overdrive to boost your amp overdrive will make your amp into a ****ing monster of sound.
Quote by SLonergan

Yeah, but for playing Hendrix you don't want a tight tone.

TS, you'll want some kind of fuzz face clone to play Hendrix, what your budget?
Quote by Natekicksbut
whats a tube screamer like? i really hate the synthetic sound of a distortion pedal, i dont want to get anything that will really compromise the intergrity of my amps natural feel id just love a bit more gain

What amp would that be?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Im rocking A blues deluxe 1955 reissue. Beautiful amp love it to death, dropped a thousand bucks the day i heard it. But I really would love to get some higher overdrive levels out of it without compromising the integreity of the amp, distortion pedals sound like shit with the overdrive channel. and to be honest i think distortion pedals sound synthetic and crappy anyways, i mean why did i spend that money on a tube to get the ace sound just to plug some crap pedal into it. I was considering using a blues driver pedal. Thoughts?
Quote by Natekicksbut
Im rocking A blues deluxe 1955 reissue. Beautiful amp love it to death, dropped a thousand bucks the day i heard it. But I really would love to get some higher overdrive levels out of it without compromising the integreity of the amp, distortion pedals sound like shit with the overdrive channel. and to be honest i think distortion pedals sound synthetic and crappy anyways, i mean why did i spend that money on a tube to get the ace sound just to plug some crap pedal into it. I was considering using a blues driver pedal. Thoughts?

What distortion pedals have you heard/tried?
Good ones do exist you know.

Anyway, on topic, if you are really set on an overdrive pedal, I really like those:
MI audio Blue Pro
Barber Direct Drive
PaulC Timmy/Tim
HBE power screamer
Blackout Mantra
Fairfield Barbershop
Lovepedal Eternity
Radial Texas Bones
T-rex Alberta
Quote by Natekicksbut
Is there a pedal that you can use in conjuction with a tube amps overdrive to increase the overdrive, that would sound all syntheticy and crap

Quote by Natekicksbut

wut.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Sguit
What distortion pedals have you heard/tried?
Good ones do exist you know.

Anyway, on topic, if you are really set on an overdrive pedal, I really like those:
MI audio Blue Pro
Barber Direct Drive
PaulC Timmy/Tim
HBE power screamer
Blackout Mantra
Fairfield Barbershop
Lovepedal Eternity
Radial Texas Bones
T-rex Alberta

I tried the DS 1, Metalzone, and danny fabtone.

I think they all suck, but i hate the danny fabtone least. They just sound so synthetic to me. Not even remotely comparable to tube overdrive.
Quote by Jhachey22
wut.

I think he meant wouldn't
Quote by rmr024

Quote by Natekicksbut

-_-
You just named the 3 of the worst distortion pedals known to man...
Here is what I want you to do:

Find a pedal that is green.
Make sure it has the word "screamer" on the box.
Make sure it has 3 knobs labeled Tone, Volume and Gain/Overdrive.
If you find a pedal with those specs, buy it.
Put in front of your wonderful tube amp.
Tweak to enjoyment.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat if needed.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by SLonergan

well, yeah. I mean the bass cut is what does the tightness thing. But yeah, I just assumed a boost in gain was a given.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Everyone is suggesting the ibanez tube screamer what do people think of the blues driver?
Quote by Natekicksbut
Everyone is suggesting the ibanez tube screamer what do people think of the blues driver?

Boss's overdrive and distortions are pretty weak, but that is one of the better ones in my opinion. I've heard it used with Fenders with some success... But I think a TS would be better. Boosting the clean channel of your HRD with a nice TS or clone should sound godly. Take your amp to a shop and try a few out with it if you really want reliable answers.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
well, yeah. I mean the bass cut is what does the tightness thing. But yeah, I just assumed a boost in gain was a given.

Well, the TS described an overdrive pedal, and then asked what kind of pedal could do that...so I figured its best to explain everything very...VERY clearly.
Quote by rmr024

Ya know...if you REALLY want it to sound natural, you could just overdrive your amp naturally. With a volume knob.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Natekicksbut

Awesome booster. It's a lot more transparent than a tubescreamer. It's rather bright, though, so it works wonders for darker sounding amps. But if you're using something like a Fender or a Peavey, it might get a tad icepicky.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
Awesome booster. It's a lot more transparent than a tubescreamer. It's rather bright, though, so it works wonders for darker sounding amps. But if you're using something like a Fender or a Peavey, it might get a tad icepicky.

It depends what Fender, not all Fenders are superbright, in fact, I always though vox amps were super bright and Fender were darker
Quote by Sguit
It depends what Fender, not all Fenders are superbright, in fact, I always though vox amps were super bright and Fender were darker

I'm talking about the black/silverfaces. the BD2 is awesome with tweed type amps with the tone rolled back.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Natekicksbut

My BD-2 is my favorite pedal that i own... I use it all the time. Very neutral, doesn't have quite the mid-boost that the tubescreamer does... probably a little too much gain available for a overdrive pedal, so i'd keep the gain below 12 o'clock...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Natekicksbut

I think they all suck, but i hate the danny fabtone least. They just sound so synthetic to me. Not even remotely comparable to tube overdrive.

Way to ignore the awesome list.

What amp do you have? It's going to be preettyy important to the sound. Sguit was right, if you want a Hendrix-esque tone then you'll need a Fuzz Face of sorts. Infact +1 to everything Sguit said.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by mcraddict81592
Ya know...if you REALLY want it to sound natural, you could just overdrive your amp naturally. With a volume knob.

I would love to do that but my land lord lives above me and the ceiling is far from sound proof
Every overdrive pedal I test out seems to work very well with the drive/gain at 11 o'clock and the volume at 1 o'clock into a tone that is on the edge of breakup/very slightly breaking up. If you would like to run an overdrive pedal into an already overdrive amp sound, I think the pedal sounds better with the gain lower and the volume higher. Tubescreamers work well in a variety of amps, but you might not appreciate the mid-hump. To be clear, you want to run this into an already overdrive tube amp? You can try any of the tubescreamer variants (ts9, ts808, maxon, etc.), but you might favor something more transparent. Maybe something by Fulltone or some of the Xotic pedals.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by SimplyBen
Way to ignore the awesome list.

What amp do you have? It's going to be preettyy important to the sound. Sguit was right, if you want a Hendrix-esque tone then you'll need a Fuzz Face of sorts. Infact +1 to everything Sguit said.

I have a Fender Blues deluxe 1955 reissue and i am ignoring the list of distortion pedals because i dont want a distortion pedal to change my zsound i only want more gain on the sound i allready have.
Quote by sg4ever
Every overdrive pedal I test out seems to work very well with the drive/gain at 11 o'clock and the volume at 1 o'clock into a tone that is on the edge of breakup/very slightly breaking up. If you would like to run an overdrive pedal into an already overdrive amp sound, I think the pedal sounds better with the gain lower and the volume higher. Tubescreamers work well in a variety of amps, but you might not appreciate the mid-hump. To be clear, you want to run this into an already overdrive tube amp? You can try any of the tubescreamer variants (ts9, ts808, maxon, etc.), but you might favor something more transparent. Maybe something by Fulltone or some of the Xotic pedals.

Thats exactly what I want. Ok this may seem like a dumb question guys. But is a Blues Driver what one might refer to as a boost pedal?
Quote by Natekicksbut

Well, none of those distortion pedals are really meant to play bluesy stuff and Hendrix anyway. In order you have listed a grungy and nasty distortion, a nasally metal distortion, and a cheap pukebox of a pedal. There are some good distortion pedals by Lovepedal, Wampler, Blackstar, Xotic, etc.. I also second the comments on fuzz. Hendrix used fuzz a lot.

The BD-2 is an overdrive. It has less mids than the tubescreamer so it's a bit more transparent, but it also is a bit brighter. It retains the bass a bit better too, even though it is a tad bright. It also has more gain than a tubescreamer.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Sep 28, 2010,
Nope, it's an overdrive pedal. It can be used as a boost but really it's an overdrive.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Natekicksbut
I would love to do that but my land lord lives above me and the ceiling is far from sound proof

I agree with the Fuzz Face suggestion then, it'll get dirty, Hendrix-y, and not too loud. Worry about an OD when you have the space to really use it to it's full potential.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Natekicksbut
I have a Fender Blues deluxe 1955 reissue and i am ignoring the list of distortion pedals because i dont want a distortion pedal to change my zsound i only want more gain on the sound i allready have.

You won't get that unless you turn the amp up loud, which you already said is not an option. When using a boost of some sort, or an overdrive pedal that is set up as a boost, the volume of your amp will increase. No, you won't be able to get your amp to distort on it's own at whisper-volumes.

Judging from what you've said so far, a fuzz pedal should work for you. If you can, get both a fuzz-face (or clone thereof) and an overdrive for some variety.
Page 1 of 2