Hey, I need to make two speaker cables, around 2.5 feet each. I was told that i can use 18 gauge lamp wire to do the job. I have read some things online and others are saying use 16 gauge. Which one should I use? Also, I have a guitar cable i don't use and was wondering if i can desolder the 1/4" male jack plug from it and solder the lamp wire onto it instead?

Or... if someone has done this a different way, let me know!

Thanks.
Gear:
Gibson '61 SG (57 Classics)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Gibson '08 Explorer (500T)
Soldano Avenger 100
No Name 4X12 w/ Texas Heat+V12
I Want More Stuff
So when I solder the cord to the jack how do i do it; just take all the wires and solder them to a single point or.....?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Soldano Avenger 100
I Want More Stuff
I tried to find you a good diagram, but failed.

So, I'll explain: You've got two solder lugs. The "tip" which goes to the tip of the jack. This lug will be in the middle of the jack (on the side that wires go in).

The other lug is the "sleeve." This will be a long piece of metal on the lug side of the jack. This corresponds to the sleeve of the actual jack. That's the part that's not the tip.

When making a cable, make sure you solder tip to tip and jack to jack. Usually the cable will have on with a white stripe down it. If you put the striped wire on the tip of one jack, it goes to the tip of the other jack.
Thanks for the description! One more thing, I am planning on making one end of the cord attached to the jack and the other directly to the speaker itself. So does it matter what side of the wire (stripped or not) is connected to the "sleeve"/"tip" and to the positive/negative of the speaker. (right now I am running the amp head into a solid state).
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Soldano Avenger 100
I Want More Stuff
I've seen speaker cables made out of the stuff that you would use for your surround sound speakers, I've even seen speaker cables made out of automotive wire, guy just took two wires of equal length and duct taped them together. worked ok.
Oh I know, I just had some 18 gauge laying around. I'll switch to 12-16 when I buy a 412 cab. Like I said i'm running through a Marshall MG250dfx for now. Custom built 412 with w/ g12-65 and V30s here I come. If i have time I might buy a couple feet of 12.

BTW, does anybody recommend a good brand or place to buy wire for connecting the actual speakers together and to the input jack?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Soldano Avenger 100
I Want More Stuff
Last edited by penguinguy34 at Sep 28, 2010,
Alright, soldered on some jacks to the 18 awg and in works great
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)