I recently changed from .09 strings to .10s on my Ibanez RG4 but after doing this, the bridge was leaning way to far towards the neck as expected. I adjusted the claw screws but that didn't help. I can hardly turn the screws anymore, the strings are very stretched out, and yet the bridge is still leaning towards the neck.

What's going on here? I can't add anymore springs because I have no more spring slots left (only 3). What should I do? Here are some pictures.

Please help!
Attachments:
IMG_5584.jpg
IMG_5588.jpg
Last edited by Cabot696 at Sep 27, 2010,
Your supposed to have it set up for a different gauge. I don't know exactly how one would go about doing that, but you're probably only hurting your guitar by having those strings on it.
Quote by Dio10101
Your supposed to have it set up for a different gauge. I don't know exactly how one would go about doing that, but you're probably only hurting your guitar by having those strings on it.

What else is there to setup in regards to the evenness of the bridge? The springs and the adjustment screws are it, right?

Quote by BOYERxBREAKDOWN
I think it's time to change out your bridge completely.

I don't understand, this guitar is only a few weeks old.

Anyway, how did I screw up?
Take it to a pro and have him fix it up. After you add the springs and tighten the screws, there isn't much left to do.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Tighten the screws to make it go down, and set it up until it stays in tune by adjusting it accordingly. it quite easy actually.
Rattle Your Goddamn Head!
Quote by kaos572
Tighten the screws to make it go down, and set it up until it stays in tune by adjusting it accordingly. it quite easy actually.

I can't tighten the screws anymore as they are almost maxed out. Should I screw them down even more so that they touch the wall of the guitar?
Put in another spring in the back. I'm assuming you only have three so put in a fourth and that should solve your problem.
Quote by Mikewazousky
Put in another spring in the back. I'm assuming you only have three so put in a fourth and that should solve your problem.

As you see in the picture, there are 3 spring slots and 2 screw slots on the bridge. Can I remove a screw and place a spring in the screw hole instead?
you should be able to screw it in further. Just loosen the strings off a bit if it's too hard to turn the screws (and be careful not to strip them!)
Quote by Ibbod0
you should be able to screw it in further. Just loosen the strings off a bit if it's too hard to turn the screws (and be careful not to strip them!)

Just to make sure, I can screw it in far enough that it pretty much touches the wall of the guitar?

Edit: Okay I screwed in the screws as far as they pretty much go yet the bridge STILL slightly leans towards the neck. What would I ever do if I wanted to go up to .11s?
Last edited by Cabot696 at Sep 27, 2010,
Yes remove the screws and insert a fourth spring. Make sure you return the other screws to normal.
Last edited by Mikewazousky at Sep 28, 2010,
You guys are not helping much, you just keep telling him to do things that he can not do. Maybe you guys should actually start paying attention when you try to help someone so you do not end up looking like imbeciles.

From the way its looking you are SOL unless you do one of these.
1. Go back to .09 strings.
2. Buy a new block that has holes drilled for 4 to 5 springs.

I believe the RG4's use the Edge lll so this might work.
http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=195
I do not know much about the Edge trems though so I am not entirely sure that it will work but it might.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Sep 28, 2010,
have you been re-tuning it after you adjust the springs? There really shouldn't be a problem with 10s... unless... they're not super heavy bottom or something? what's the gauge of the low E?

I once used 10-46 on my LFR with 3 springs, and it worked fine in standard tuning.
Quote by Darkdevil725
imbeciles...
I do not know much about the Edge trems though so I am not entirely sure that it will work but it might.

If you want a quick fix, add the fourth spring.
Quote by Mikewazousky

If you want a quick fix, add the fourth spring.

he cant only has 3 holes for 3 springs...

i would back the screws out half way, then tune, then adjust the screws... then tune again... then adjust some more then tune etc etc....with floyds you have to take your time you cant just tune to pitch and call it the day.... i say take it to a pro and watch how they do it....

also make sure the locking nuts are off while you adjust the springs in the back.... and rem every time you adjust the springs it will either tighten or losen you strings so keep tuning...
And now you know why I tend to think people that try to give in depth answers are idiots.
Take the screws and that plate off and vola 2 more holes to add springs. It is a guitar not rocket science.There is enough factual information on the internut about setting up a guitar I am not going to type it out. Google is your friend. Use it.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
You CAN put two extra springs in. I used to have a RG1570. You need to remove the small bar above the spring ends that is covering them. Unscrew, and remove. Then put your extra springs in the screw holes.
Have you tried loosening the strings untill it`s level, then tuning up again? You may have the tensions all correct and strings in tune but it`s just in the wrong position. I found this when I first changed to 10`s. I would certainly never let the bridge get that high, as soon as you tuned it after putting 10`s on and the bridge went slightly above perpendicular, give the springs a turn till it`s level, then a little more tension on the strings etc.....
Also if needed you can hook the outside springs next to the middle one, putting them at an angle and generating more tension. You can also deffinately screw them in more, if you run out of screw, buy longer ones! Tho you shouldn`t need too really if you do the above.
Last edited by Troop of Doom at Sep 28, 2010,
Your first picture shows you still have plenty of room to tighten the trem claw as it's nowhere close to the front edge of the route.

Here's what I would do.
1. Loosen the strings enough so that the bridge is level or you can easily pull up on the trem arm to get it level. (don't worry about the tuning at this point).

2. Find something you can place between the trem block an the back of the cavity to keep the bridge from tilting forward when you tighten the strings. You want something that will place the trem dead flat when blocked as such. I use a small wooden wedge shaped block as this gives me a pretty infinite range of thickness.

3. Tune the guitar. Because you have a block in there keeping the trem from moving you have now set the string tension to what it needs to be with the trem plate level.

4. Now all you have to do is tighten the springs until you can remove whatever it is you used to block the trem. At this point you will be very close to being done.

5. Now just adjust the spring tension until the guitar is in tune. When it is the bridge will be in the exact place it was when you blocked it level and tuned the strings.

The method above is the easiest way to tune a floating trem as you only have to deal with either the string or spring tension individually and do not have to worry about all that back-n-forth trying to get everything in balance.
Put an extra spring on.But you mentioned how you were thinking about 11's you should probably go to lower tunnings and thus putting less stress on the neck and it would also make the floyde lower to the body. And like Bhoak said googles your friend use it.
It worked! I re-arranged the outside springs putting them at an angle to add more tension, and this time while tuning up, I frequently alternated between turning the screws and tuning the strings.

My bridge is perfectly level and everything seems to be working great. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by Cabot696 at Sep 28, 2010,