Basically, I have several different aspirations, and I almost feel like school can even be holding back on my dreams. I am 99% sure going to college next year, but at the same time, I feel like I can accomplish so much more outside of school. For me, I can enjoy a low budget lifestyle, and "accomplishing," to me, is not just making more money by graduating at a phenomenal university. There are many lifestyles I would be perfectly content with, even if I'm not "rich."

I wan to hear your story. I want to know if you graduated from college or not. ESPECIALLY for those who did not, I'd like to know what you did and how it has worked out for you. I see many options for myself, and I think too much pressure is being put on my school work (I actually have solid academics, and have a small but reasonable chance of getting into Georgia Tech). I feel like it would even make sense to seek a specific job that pays enough for a comfortable living (I know, it's very subjective, but you get the point) and train myself specifically for it, while using current school studies as my backup plan. Obviously this training may include a college degree, but if I am great at a certain skill, and qualify for a job, shouldn't I go for that mainly, rather than forced school studies?

Anyways, share any thoughts/opinions, and please share your story. Sorry for the long text, but this is a pretty important, serious matter that I'd like to discuss.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Last edited by gatechballer at Sep 27, 2010,
I went to school, I didn't know what I wanted to do (I was a Liberal Arts Major), I thought the whole thing was stupid. I thought the whole thing was a joke, only went because it was what other people wanted me to do, and I failed out.

About a year later, I had tried working a sales job really didn't like it, an ended up back in school, but this time majoring in something I like. I'm now a Digital Audio Productions major.

So if you decided to go - go for the right reasons, and go and study in something you like. Otherwise it's a waste of your time and your money.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'm planning on getting degrees I have no intention of using. I will simultaneously be low-income and follow my aspirations.

Are you serious or are you trying to be a douche? If you're serious, could you explain? Because some people are fine with low-income. I am saying that maybe my main goal in life doesn't require college, but I personally would still go to college as a backup plan. If you're trying to mock me, you sound like a dumbass and just leave.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit

Graduated as a liberal arts major with a 3.8 GPA. Can't find a job using my degree. Wish I had studied something else.
Quote by gatechballer
Are you serious or are you trying to be a douche? If you're serious, could you explain? Because some people are fine with low-income. I am saying that maybe my main goal in life doesn't require college, but I personally would still go to college as a backup plan. If you're trying to mock me, you sound like a dumbass and just leave.

I was just describing my situation, kid. calm down.
Quote by MakinLattes
I was just describing my situation, kid. calm down.

No I wasn't pissed, unless you actually were trying to be a dick, because it seemed like you were mocking, which just looks dumb.....but could you actually share what degrees you plan on getting/what your aspirations are?
Quote by sadSTATUE

Quote by Unknown_Biskit

Didn't go to college. Right now I'm a janitor. I play for tips downtown.

Everyone tells me I'm wasting my life, Cause I graduated with a 4.0 and had several advanced measures, which would equal a couple of college hours if I chose to go.

If I went to school for one more year after high school, I would have shot myself. I love my job(Mainly because of the great people I work with) And I love doing what I love to do (Playing for a crowd, not exactly mopping floors)
Quote by gatechballer
No I wasn't pissed, unless you actually were trying to be a dick, because it seemed like you were mocking, which just looks dumb.....but could you actually share what degrees you plan on getting/what your aspirations are?

mathy things.

my aspirations, and I'm serious, include world domination and/or any other means of notoriety.
Quote by Thejoker92
Didn't go to college. Right now I'm a janitor. I play for tips downtown.

Everyone tells me I'm wasting my life, Cause I graduated with a 4.0 and had several advanced measures, which would equal a couple of college hours if I chose to go.

If I went to school for one more year after high school, I would have shot myself. I love my job(Mainly because of the great people I work with) And I love doing what I love to do (Playing for a crowd, not exactly mopping floors)

From your profile, I can tell it's obviously very low-income.....but you obviously enjoy your life?
Quote by sadSTATUE

Quote by Unknown_Biskit

3-4 years away from getting my degree, then 2 years for a master's, then I might as well study another career while working.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I personally find college to be asking for debt. After I graduate high school, I'm gonna train to be a firefighter here in Los Angeles, and after I reach my 30's, move to a smaller town, continue being a firefighter there where I can live a quiet, peaceful life.

Unless I can somehow make it in the Music Industry. But I'm not expecting it. xD
my entire life being successful is basically riding on me becoming a great guitarist.

if i dont im ****ed.

im failing out of high school, i have no car, no source of income, and no aspirations other than music.

but i gots a guitar and a dream dammit.
Quote by gatechballer
From your profile, I can tell it's obviously very low-income.....but you obviously enjoy your life?

I havent changed that in years.

It used to be very low income when I started freshman year, But i stuck with it and i make enough to get by. I also do odd stuff, like building fences, and anything that requires some manual labor cause it's what I like to do.

And I enjoy life as much as I can. Granted I'm just waiting to die at 27. So long as I got an instrument I'm the happiest guy you'll meet.

The way I see it, college would have gotten me a job with a desk, which would have led to me ultimately killing myself. I'm not kidding. For me it was a bad idea leading to a bad life.
Quote by Thejoker92

The way I see it, college would have gotten me a job with a desk, which would have led to me ultimately killing myself. I'm not kidding. For me it was a bad idea leading to a bad life.

i dont want to have to spend my entire life sitting behind a desk 8 hours a day just to get up the next morning and do it again. i dont see the point in wasting my time like that. i cant even stand school when i can sleep and talk to friends the entire time...
Quote by Thejoker92

I enjoy life as much as I can. Granted I'm just waiting to die at 27. So long as I got an instrument I'm the happiest guy you'll meet.

Now this is a man I can idolize.
I'm going to college to study and strengthen my passion for music. In today's market, I think it's safe to say that anyone who has the mentality that their degree gives them entitlement to a job is going to get left behind. My degree certainly will not get me a job. In many cases now, it's not about the degree anymore. It's about putting your foot forward very early on and starting to get into the industry of your choosing. It's getting more and more cutthroat out there, and you have to constantly be active and proving that you make a difference. I've realized this early on now, and I am ok with getting a basic low paying job after college while working towards my true aspirations.

I've also noted that especially in business but also in other fields, some of the most successful people got there by using their character rather than their education, many lacking thereof. They become successful by being disciplined, extremely active and aggressive in what they do, and having superior management and leadership skills. These are often the highest paying assets, and they can't be learned in academia.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 27, 2010,
I earned a useless diploma at a trade school, couldn't find a job (recession). Went back to school for criminology (to be a cop), realized it'll be another waste of money. Decided to join the army instead. I can't join til 2011 though, so right now I'm working and getting in shape.
Arts degree is a waste of time\money. Having a boring desk job is better than no job or a really shitty\low paying one. Most of the stuff you learn in post secondary doesn't really help in real life, other than having to learn to learn fast enough.
Well the community college in my town is actually pretty good, known as one of (if not THE) best in the state. I'm not exactly rich, so staying at home was financially a no-brainer. Also, going away to college would only result in increased substance intake/decline in grades.

So I saw it this way: I'd save money, as well as my education by staying home.
The "I don't give a shit about anything but music" mentality works like .1% of the time.
Having a degree of any kind is good to have. No matter what it is. For example, my boss is an IT manager, but only has a 2-year accounting degree from a community college. It has nothing to do with IT, but it shows employers that you've gone through some type of higher education.
I did not graduate from college. I went with no idea of what I wanted to do, took some business oriented classes, passed some failed some and stopped going. Then I looked around town, decided that about the best place to work in town was the local electric utility. Took a few electrical theory classes at the community college while I got a low-level job in the business, making 9 bucks an hour. Put in for every entry level apprentice position that came up. It took 2 years, and I went through 3 low-level jobs in the business, before I got hired on as an apprentice (I was, however, up to 18 bucks an hour after 2 years. A lot easier to live on than 9). Best job I've ever had, it will be my career until I retire. I'll make 50k this year, 100k+ 4 years from now.

Getting into a trade is always an option. Then you get paid, very well most of the time, while you learn.
Last edited by stratman7 at Sep 27, 2010,
Well I've got myself in a weird situation. When I was in high school I wanted to study animation, hand drawn and computer wise. When I started college I knew that would be a difficult field to be accomplished in so I decided to major in Graphic Arts and communication. Basically a lot of graphic design work.

Of course I decided to take classes a certain order like most people. General education classes first and then graphic design classes near the of my AA degree. After falling behind because of financial problems, I didn't start taking any graphic classes until 2 and a half years later. Now I've been taking some classes involving motion graphics and I've found out I rather do animated graphics for commercials and video than designing for print and web.

Now I've got some decisions to make: Transfer to a nearby university and possibly go in debt because financial aid won't cover it all.....or enroll to the new BA offered at my community college here in digital production (which covers motion graphics) and stay another 2 years and get a free ride. This week I'm hoping to visit that uni and meet with a professor there who teaches classes in the degree they offer which has a similar name to BA at my current college but according to the curriculum they don't specialize in motion graphics.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Sep 27, 2010,
I studied electrical engineering in college and graduated a little over two years ago. Was a lot of work to get good grades but I had no problems getting a job once I graduated.

If you go to college, just think to yourself "what am I going to do once I graduate?". If you can't think of what kind of job you would get once you graduate, you're wasting your time and probably won't find a job.
Went to university/college straight after school because I had no idea what to do with my life and it's what everyone else was doing. Did a year of computer science, hated it, switched to biology, I like it more but I still have no motivation to work hard. Taking a long break from uni after this semester ends. I'm about halfway through a BSc.

I feel like because I have always had it easy in life, and everything given to me without working for it etc has lead to my lack of motivation to do anything really. I'm not a spoilt brat or anything, but eh. So I think I'm going to try and do a short English teaching course, and work overseas for a year or two in South Korea or something. By dropping myself in the deep end like that, with only myself to rely on, I'll get the shock of reality I think I need. Whatever I end up doing I need to get off my ass and get shit done
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Quote by Agithor
The "I don't give a shit about anything but music" mentality works like .1% of the time.

+1

That being said, I do want to make it big as musician 'cause I do want to earn money while doing what I most like to do. But you've got to have options and alternatives and stuff, so that's why I'm doing political science at college while making music with my band.

I can see myself either working as political analyst or consultant or something related, or being an acclaimed/respected and moderately successful rock musician, I'm ok with it. But if I knew beforehand I can surely achieve one of those things, no matter how hard it is, I'd surely choose music.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Last edited by Antoine-Øleg at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by Agithor

i dont care what the odds are. id rather make an attempt at becoming a professional musician than to not do it and just wish i had the rest of my life.
Quote by Antoine-Øleg

That being said, I do want to make it big as musician 'cause I do want to earn money while doing what I most like to do.

That is increasingly a very outdated notion. The recording industry is extremely polarized right now. They are not looking for rock stars. They are looking for the next immediately profitable pop sensation. This isn't a rant against the industry, this is cold facts because of how tightly they are being squeezed of revenue. They simply cannot afford artist development anymore, which most rock artists traditionally need. Apsiring to "make it" is not going to get you anywhere. It is extremely vague and green. If you don't have a clear plan with realistic directions, you're not going to get into the music industry even at the lowest level.

I can see myself either working as political analyst or consultant or something related, or being an acclaimed/respected and moderately successful rock musician, I'm ok with it. But if I knew beforehand I can surely achieve one of those things, no matter how hard it is, I'd surely choose music.
You should really get to know just how wide the music industry really is. There are so many many other tracks and branches you should consider. Being a rock musician is not only oversaturated, but also has the lowest demands.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 28, 2010,
I got a full scholarship, so I figured undergrad was surefire way to enjoy life for a few more years before fully jumping into the real world. And with a part time job on top of that, I could also use those four years to accumulate some cash. It turns out that tutoring pays nicely, so thus far it's been working pretty well.

As an added plus, while doing that, I found that that molecular genetics is some interesting shit. If all goes well, I graduate in the spring, so I'm looking into grad schools to apply to. I probably won't go full PhD, but a Masters would likely be enough to secure a livable research position. And who knows, with some divine intervention, I could even get hired by a biotech corporation.

I'd probably go on a murderous rampage if I was stuck at a desk job for years of my life, but I feel a lab-bench job would be fun.

Of course, it's more likely that none of that will actually happen and I'll have to figure something else out. That's life.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
I study undergraduate level Law, as is the norm in NZ as well as an arts degree in politics and history.

Quote by Steel8909
Arts degree is a waste of time\money. Having a boring desk job is better than no job or a really shitty\low paying one. Most of the stuff you learn in post secondary doesn't really help in real life, other than having to learn to learn fast enough.

Liberal arts is useless to those who don't possess the skills to realise and market the skills they have from 3-4 years at tertiary level. Honestly if you possess that 'its useless' mentality from the get-go, then it WILL be useless to you.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
you can be perfectly happy with life and get far whether or not you go to college. people these days are making kids think they NEED to go to college to have a successful life and thats totally wrong. i myself havent gone to college yet but im thinking of it this coming semester. but ive been totally happy out of school and just working at my job.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Right now I'm doing a BSc in biology. I love it, but at this point in time I don't think I want a career in bio. I definitely don't want to do field work, I'd prefer lab work - but something that's useful. Like I'd rather work on finding cures for diseases and such rather than discovering new species of algae.
Who knows though, I could change my mind in 6 months (but not about field work).

I am definitely shooting for at least one Master's degree. The most recent addition to my list of options is getting a Master's in planning, and then a professional Master's in urban design.

I'm probably one of the very few (young) people who actually wants a 9-5 office job. I want routine. But I also want my job to be rewarding; I want to make a difference and leave some sort of legacy, somehow.
MATTERHORN
Hmm. I have no future.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Xiaoxi
That is increasingly a very outdated notion. The recording industry is extremely polarized right now. They are not looking for rock stars. They are looking for the next immediately profitable pop sensation. This isn't a rant against the industry, this is cold facts because of how tightly they are being squeezed of revenue. They simply cannot afford artist development anymore, which most rock artists traditionally need. Aspiring to "make it" is not going to get you anywhere. It is extremely vague and green. If you don't have a clear plan with realistic directions, you're not going to get into the music industry even at the lowest level.

You should really get to know just how wide the music industry really is. There are so many many other tracks and branches you should consider. Being a rock musician is not only oversaturated, but also has the lowest demands.

There are so many things I'd actually like to do, I was just saying what I'm currently thinking about. It's just the way I talk about it, 'cause you can't just say "I want to make it", I know I've got to promote my music and expend money and deal with really mean people and be very patient, and many, many other things. There are many risks I know I've got to keep in mind.

I'm not saying music industry is going to be this or that way in the future, neither saying I'll surely become a rock star. I'm just saying I like the idea of becoming a successful musician BUT I'm not focusing only on that.

I guess it's very relative, as most things are. I'm just trying to be open.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
I'm currently in my first year of college for Computer Engineering Technology.

After a week I knew I didn't want to do it, so I'm going to try and switch programs to get a Business diploma, and then take the Music Industry Arts program at another college and follow it up with the Audio and Post Production course.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
While I understand where all the negativity regarding higher level education comes from, I can wholeheartedly say that I do not regret going to college. In high school, I wanted to design aircrafts as a career, so obviously I had to go college. I ended up finding out when I got into college that the path to the job I wanted sucks and I really just glamorized the job. I ended up doing some searching and eventually found something that didn't worry me when I thought about the prospect of me doing it for the rest of my life.

I graduated from my university just this June with a degree in visual art (specifically all things computers/electronics/technology) and am currently unemployed. I intend to go back to get an MS or MA (depending on where I go)-- but the point is that my career goal/life goals favors more education, and I personally welcome it. I guess you could say that I could've come to the same conclusion without those extra four years, but given all the growing up and social experience that was "college," it was well worth it (minus the cost of the shitty dining food and parking).

So in short, it can be a hit or miss with college. On one hand, you may not find a particular field that you are truly passionate about and may just do one because of various reasons. Or you might find a subject that you do like immensely and will not have any issues with working in it as a career. I know I did. That stereotypical desk job like the one you saw in Office Space does exist, but going to college doesn't mean that it's your destiny.
Quote by Night_Lights
Liberal arts is useless to those who don't possess the skills to realise and market the skills they have from 3-4 years at tertiary level. Honestly if you possess that 'its useless' mentality from the get-go, then it WILL be useless to you.
You articulated this idea quite nicely.