Hi again guys, my son has been looking at guitars for quite a while and I was thinking about getting him a new one for his birthday next month. I was wondering if you could give me some opinions.

He has this guitar now:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=517413&ZYXSEM=0&src=3AGGWXX2

He wants this one really bad:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-FR-Electric-Guitar-103125423-i1147996.gc

My question is, would the Schecter be any kind of upgrade over what he already has? I know he likes the flat black look and the whammy bar on the Schecter but I'd really like to upgrade from what he has if I'm going to spend the money. He really likes Schecters and ESP brands. Oh yeah, he likes to play metal and he has a Marshall 210H 100 watt head he will be playing it through.

Thanks in advance!
Depending on what he plays I wouldn't think so. Not quality-wise anyway.

Unless he NEEDS the floyd rose bridge (I personally don't, but everyone's different) I think you'd be better served getting better pickups installed in his Les Paul.
My dad hated it when I got a guitar with a floating tremolo. I was constantly bitching to him about how it took me so long to set it up/change strings.
If you do his set ups for him, DON'T DO IT.

Also, in my experience, the pickups in that Schecter are some of the worst. He'd want to upgrade them soon anyway.

Other things to take into account:
-Find out if he likes changing tuning a lot. If so, he's better off with upgrades to his current guitar/another guitar with a fixed type bridge. Changing tuning with a floating bridge is more hassle than it's worth.
-Find out if he plans on gigging. If so, a back up guitar would be great. If not, upgrading his current guitar would be just fine.
-If he obsessively talks about "sick divebombs," "dime squeels," or mentions dive bombing in anyway, it means he really wants a guitar with a floating bridge.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by Unskathed
My dad hated it when I got a guitar with a floating tremolo. I was constantly bitching to him about how it took me so long to set it up/change strings.
If you do his set ups for him, DON'T DO IT.

Also, in my experience, the pickups in that Schecter are some of the worst. He'd want to upgrade them soon anyway.

Other things to take into account:
-Find out if he likes changing tuning a lot. If so, he's better off with upgrades to his current guitar/another guitar with a fixed type bridge. Changing tuning with a floating bridge is more hassle than it's worth.
-Find out if he plans on gigging. If so, a back up guitar would be great. If not, upgrading his current guitar would be just fine.
-If he obsessively talks about "sick divebombs," "dime squeels," or mentions dive bombing in anyway, it means he really wants a guitar with a floating bridge.

Yes my son has a little band with his buddies he plays in and he's pretty serious about his gigs. He has a Marshall MC 412 speaker cab he is playing with the head and I was wondering if I should buy him a better cab like a 1960 or something instead of a guitar and maybe just upgrade stuff on his current guitar for now? I don't know anything about this stuff.
If i were you i'd stay away from floating bridges at all cost. They have caused me nothing but headaches and as for the brand i have no experience with Schecter but i am a proud owner of two Deans and a BC Rich and would recommend Jackson or ESP/LTD guitars in a heartbeat as well.
A speaker cab upgrade would be your best bet judging from what you're telling me.
However, not knocking Marshalls, but you could get him a really nice cab from www.avatarspeakers.com and still save yourself some cash.

The price of a brand new Avatar cabinet with good speakers + a really nice pickup set for his Les Paul would cost the same as a brand new Marshall 1960 cabinet.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by joey-only
If i were you i'd stay away from floating bridges at all cost. They have caused me nothing but headaches and as for the brand i have no experience with Schecter but i am a proud owner of two Deans and a BC Rich and would recommend Jackson or ESP/LTD guitars in a heartbeat as well.
Funny. If people take the time to research how to set them up, they have no issues. I've had my Floyd Rose floating tremolo for five years or so now and have had very little issues.

OT: Since this is for your son...well, the Schecter isn't much of an improvement. I'd personally buy him a set of these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Blackouts-AHB1-Humbucker-Set?sku=301007. Get those thrown into his guitar. See, Blackouts are active, like EMGs, but have less hum to them. Or I should say, they tend to not have as much bad hum.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Funny. If people take the time to research how to set them up, they have no issues. I've had my Floyd Rose floating tremolo for five years or so now and have had very little issues.

OT: Since this is for your son...well, the Schecter isn't much of an improvement. I'd personally buy him a set of these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Blackouts-AHB1-Humbucker-Set?sku=301007. Get those thrown into his guitar. See, Blackouts are active, like EMGs, but have less hum to them. Or I should say, they tend to not have as much bad hum.

How much time does it take to set a floyd rose up?
Don't bother with upgrades for the Epiphone or that Schecter.

The Damien series is not worth getting at all.

Either spend more money and get a better guitar for him or spend on gears like pedal or something.
Quote by Blooddrunk_Moon
Don't bother with upgrades for the Epiphone or that Schecter.

The Damien series is not worth getting at all.

Either spend more money and get a better guitar for him or spend on gears like pedal or something.

Not 100% true.
The cheap Damiens aren't really worth getting, but the damien elites seem like amazing guitars at an amazing pricetag.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-Elite-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=584540
It has better wood, a better bridge and pickups and the quilt top is waaaaay cooler than flat black.
Pretty much all the characteristics of an expesive guitar, I really don't know why it isn't more expensive than it is. but definitely check those out.
The Epiphone he already has and the Schecter are similar quality guitars - they're both decent intermediate level instruments. However, the Epiphone is more of a "general purpose" electric guitar, whereas the Schecter is designed for metal. If that's the kind of music he wants to play, that's probably why he wants the Schecter.

There's a potential problem you need to be aware of with the Schecter. Floating "floyd rose" style tremolo systems like it has are difficult to tune and re-string. It takes a certain amount of skill and patience to get them set up right, whereas tuning and re-stringing are pretty easy on the Epiphone. There can also be quality issues with the bridge itself - I don't know how good the ones Schecter uses on that model are.

Based on the other gear you've said your son uses, I would guess that the biggest thing holding him back in terms of getting a good sound is not his guitar - it's his amp and cabinet. The amp he has is pretty loud, but it's generally not that well though of in terms of how it sounds. It's generally the case that you're better off playing a $300 guitar through a $1000 amp than the other way around. A good rule of thumb is to buy twice as much amp (in terms of $$$) as guitar up until you get to really pro gear. Of course, you want to choose an amp and guitar that fits the style of music you want to play. People on here can recommend amps and cabs if you decide to go that route.

The second biggest thing holding him back is probably the pickups on the Epiphone (as opposed to the guitar as a whole). Those pickups are not really well suited to metal. So an upgrade there could be good - you'd want to get it done by a reputable local tech. It's probably not worth doing unless you deal with the amp first though.

Hope that helps.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Ippon
If he's bent on getting a floating trem, get one with the Original Floyd Rose, a HellRaiser C-1, for $649.

I can agree with this - if you buy him a guitar in that general vein, the C-1 (and in general anything with an original floyd rose as opposed to a knockoff) is WAY better.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Meh, the Floyd Rose Copies they're knocking out are fine for even WHACKED OUT USE.
Quote by Even Bigger D
The Epiphone he already has and the Schecter are similar quality guitars - they're both decent intermediate level instruments. However, the Epiphone is more of a "general purpose" electric guitar, whereas the Schecter is designed for metal. If that's the kind of music he wants to play, that's probably why he wants the Schecter.

There's a potential problem you need to be aware of with the Schecter. Floating "floyd rose" style tremolo systems like it has are difficult to tune and re-string. It takes a certain amount of skill and patience to get them set up right, whereas tuning and re-stringing are pretty easy on the Epiphone. There can also be quality issues with the bridge itself - I don't know how good the ones Schecter uses on that model are.

Based on the other gear you've said your son uses, I would guess that the biggest thing holding him back in terms of getting a good sound is not his guitar - it's his amp and cabinet. The amp he has is pretty loud, but it's generally not that well though of in terms of how it sounds. It's generally the case that you're better off playing a $300 guitar through a $1000 amp than the other way around. A good rule of thumb is to buy twice as much amp (in terms of $$$) as guitar up until you get to really pro gear. Of course, you want to choose an amp and guitar that fits the style of music you want to play. People on here can recommend amps and cabs if you decide to go that route.

The second biggest thing holding him back is probably the pickups on the Epiphone (as opposed to the guitar as a whole). Those pickups are not really well suited to metal. So an upgrade there could be good - you'd want to get it done by a reputable local tech. It's probably not worth doing unless you deal with the amp first though.

Hope that helps.

Thank you guys so much for the comments. He has a great amp already. This is what he has:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM-Series-JVM210H-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-104818083-i1386465.gc

I was wondering if it would be better get him a better speaker cab as I am getting the impression that the one he has is not taking advantage of the high end amp he's playing? He says the Schecter doesn't ever go out of tune, he likes the color and whammy bar. After talking to you guys I think I may just get him the Seymour Duncan pick ups and buy him a new cab? What do you guys think about that plan?
Quote by Ippon
If he's bent on getting a floating trem, get one with the Original Floyd Rose, a HellRaiser C-1, for $649.

You can also get this Used in minty condition for way less. Check your local CraigsList or eBay. Also, maybe he might be interested in 7 strings! Better yet, get him a nice amp, too!

Dang that is a sweet guitar. Got it in my favorites! Thanks for the post!
Quote by jnoise
Is his JVM 210H not any good? You are telling me to get him a new amp but I thought this one he has is the one piece of equipment he has that don't need to be upgraded for gigging and such? Here it is again:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM-Series-JVM210H-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-104818083-i1386465.gc

Sorry, I made a mistake. I saw the model number and thought of another much cheaper solid state marshall that isn't very good. That amp is fine - you will find lots of people with lots of opinions about amps, but it's clearly a high quality piece of gear.

The cab, though, might be an issue. A 1960 would be one alternative. I would also consider something like an Avatar 4x12.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by jnoise
Is his JVM 210H not any good? You are telling me to get him a new amp but I thought this one he has is the one piece of equipment he has that don't need to be upgraded for gigging and such? Here it is again:

I missed the JVM part. He's all set!

When he starts showing some interest in a 7 string, it'll have to be from his own savings.