I realized I might be able to afford a used Mark III, would that be worth it over a blackstar HT-5, Peavey Vypyr, JCA20h, or something else for Prog and Thrash Metal?

I have a very good feeling about this amp
Quote by LolCatGuitar
DEFENATLEY.
Mark III's are very good amps, compared to the ht-5 a vypyr or a JCA20h.
certainly better than your frontman.
Nearly anything is better than my Frontman xD
It's a great head but if you're not a very polished player, your mistakes are going to be super obvious on it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by chuckmehh
It's a great head but if you're not a very polished player, your mistakes are going to be super obvious on it.
What about the combo, which is more in my price range anyway?
The Mark III will shit all over the HT-5 and the Vypyr. They're fairly articulate but that's what you want in an amp. It'll help you become a better player in the long run.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Do you guys think I can get some good Megadeth tones with this? I'm sure I can get some good Prog ala Dream THeater, The Sword, Mastadon, but can I get a good Megadeth, Testament, Kreator, and Iron Maiden tone?
Yeah man. If the Mark III has anywhere near as much gain as the Mark IV, you'll be good for anything metal.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Is this even a serious question......?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I realized I might be able to afford a used Mark III, would that be worth it over a blackstar HT-5, Peavey Vypyr, JCA20h, or something else for Prog and Thrash Metal?

Definitely. I would own and gig a MkIII. There's no way I would ever buy a Blackstar, or probably a Vypyr. I have no opinion about the JCA20h in terms of sound, but I would never trust it as a gigging amp.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Is this even a serious question......?
Well, I am a nub at these things, hence the thirty eight amp threads I made (exaggeration)
Quote by Even Bigger D
Definitely. I would own and gig a MkIII. There's no way I would ever buy a Blackstar, or probably a Vypyr. I have no opinion about the JCA20h in terms of sound, but I would never trust it as a gigging amp.

too bad the 20h is better built than most amp.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
too bad the 20h is better built than most amp.

Most amps might be pushing it. Most amps in a similar price range, definitely, but most amps out there? I doubt it.
Quote by chuckmehh

this could help you though, cos you can then tidy up your player even more.

and how much is this amp, and where from? im curious.
Your date of birth on your profile better be wrong... An 11 year old getting a Mesa MkIII will probably kill me
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
I owned A MKIII blue stripe and loved it......plenty of gain for just about anything and a good clean channel also.....