My saddles on my FENDER LONESTAR STRAT are pretty far back, some as far as they go, but the twelfth fret is still sharp.

Any ideas? Do I need to use 10's (not 9's)
You just went to far and need to start over from scratch. Read the Strat setup guide at Fender.com and follow the instructions for measuring your scale and intonating. If you have the trimmed string ends around just use those to measure the amount you need to bump down each string saddle to get it into position.
play the harmonic on the 12th fret... play the actual string... if they arent the same note, then adjust the intonation... repeat till in tune
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Quote by cobracarg
play the harmonic on the 12th fret... play the actual string... if they arent the same note, then adjust the intonation... repeat till in tune

That's the thing, the note is always sharp. Even when they are all maxed out (shortest amount of string), the twelfth is still sharp.
Could be truss rod or nut. Next step is truss rod, but dont do it yourself you will need to give it to a tech.
I had this problem with my Epi Les Paul. The bridge pieces wouldn't go far enough to correct the intonation problem, but afaik action and truss rod are set fine. I'm thinking I'm going to take it to the shop to get a proper set up when I have the money...
Quote by Uber_Kitty
That's the thing, the note is always sharp. Even when they are all maxed out (shortest amount of string), the twelfth is still sharp.

You're meant to move the saddle away from the neck if the note is sharp.
EDIT: Reread the first post and realised you have moved them away
The wording of that post made it seem like you were moving them towards the neck

You could check the truss rod and nut, but they really shouldn't be affecting the intonation as high up as the 12th fret, unless you have really high action.
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 28, 2010,
Is your bridge tilted up? ie pulling up at the back from the guitar body.
This will shorten the string length overall so bringing the bridge down will help.
BTW try adjusting your intonation by comparing the open note and the "fretted" note at the 12th fret. This method is preferred by many pros, amongst them Dan Erlewine.
Moving on.....
also tune the open string between saddle adjustments.

then, if you're completely sure you're intonating correctly,
and your bridge is balanced, then yes,

check your neck's relief.

the how to is in the first post of the setup thread.
if you click green link in my sig.

after you measure the relief, post back and let us know if the
string is laying on the board at the middle gap when fret.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011