I'm looking into buying a laptop to run sonar 8.5 and was wondering what a good/ideal one would be? Other than macbooks obviously what are some other good choices?

What about something like this?

Toshiba Satellite A665-S6092 16.0-Inch LED Laptop

Product Features

* Intel Core i7-740QM Processor 1.73 GHz (2.93 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB L3 Cache
* Configured with 4GB DDR3 1066MHz (max 8GB) 2 main memory slots. Both slots occupied.
* 640GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive with TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor (3D sensor)
* 16.0" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT display at 1366 x 768 native resolution (HD) with Native support for 720p content and LED backlit
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with a 6 cell/48Wh Lithium Ion battery pack; Battery Life (measured by MobileMark 2007): 4 hours, 30 minutes

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

* Hardware Platform: PC
* Processor: 1.73 GHz Intel Core i7
* Number of Processors: 4
* RAM: 4 GB
* RAM Type: SODIMM

Hard Drive

* Size: 640 GB
* Type: Serial ATA
MY Setup
carvin v3 full stack 100 watt all tube power
a 1981 carvin (m-22 pickup) great tone
Rack Setup
carvin compressor
carvin fx 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Rocktron Noise Gate
furman power conditioner
The 5400RPM drive on the computer will kill you quite a bit but the i7 is plenty powerful enough....Just expect an hour or less from the battery at those specs....

Personally, now that most of the Macs are running the i series processors from Intel, I'd probably go with one of them these days...
but at the PC side I would highly suggest a desktop over a laptop for quite a few reasons. #1 being that you can't upgrade laptops and they only last about 4-5 years...after that, the battery dies and things start to fall apart. Not to mention they all get quite hot and that stresses them out.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 28, 2010,