Before I enter a jazz course? From my understanding modes are only used in "modal music" such as early classical music etc. With modes you can't shift key so it wouldn't suit a jazz environment would it?

Thanks for the responses, sorry if this is stupid, i'm a theory nublet.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
if you want to effectively improvise, jam, or write jazz music definately, if your just gonna learn how to play different tunes its not as necessary.

And yes jazz uses a shitload of modes and theory, jazz strikes fear into the hearts of most guitar players, especially me
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
If you're a "theory nublet", learning modes will just go straight over your head. It'll make no sense at all.

But learning the major and minor stuff first - that would be recommended. What sort of course is this? University or some short thing?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It's a Cert III or Cert IV (dependant on which I get in) on jazz , but I want to have a heads up I guess.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
aslong as you dont try to learn modes from this site....
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Unless you can find a good teacher who can guide you thru it, dont bother. But believe me, once modes sparks in your head, many things become much more obvious to understand, notably chord structures, interchanges and progressions.

And yes. Jazz is ****in scary.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Ok thanks.

I have another question though,

I was just learning 7,9 etc arpeggios and came across something that confused me.

I'm playing a major 9 chord in C. I voiced it by just fretting the third fret on the A string and then playing the A,D,G,E open. I then barred the first frets and played the C# 9. I then moved up to F major 9, and played it as a chord, and it sounded exactly the same as an F major 7.

Is there a link here? :s
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
I was trying to figure out my modes a couple months ago, i thought i had known them for a while but it turned out I didn't....but now, now i understand the concept, it almost seems very simple but i feel the reason i couldn't grasp it was because no one could explain it well enough for me to understand. Plenty of websites give you misleading information about modes. After finding a couple good thorough music theory websites, the pieces came together and my brain clicked :P
Quote by N_J_B_B
Ok thanks.

I'm playing a major 9 chord in C. I voiced it by just fretting the third fret on the A string and then playing the A...open

how?
Quote by dlfloyd
After finding a couple good thorough music theory websites, the pieces came together and my brain clicked :P

I think this may be my problem as well, I've tried my hardest but Modes just didn't click with me. Even now I'm starting to feel like I get it a little more, but it feels too simple and can't help but think I'm just not really grasping it properly. Care to share some of these links and sites by chance??
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

this is a great site for music theory, it has a lesson on modes thats broken into four sections.
after going through the mode sections, it tries to get you started on the actual application.
after reading this one, the wheels were turning but It took me another nudge from another site to "get it"

after checking that site, just ask me if you need a nudge.
another BIG reason i didn't get it, was because modes have a lot to do with harmony.
basically, I play lead, not rhythm, and i have no one to play with (so not much harmony going on :P).
therefore another reason it took me a while to "click"
I may be pessimistic, but when somebody on this forum says they understand modes, I assume instantly that they don't.
Soundcloud
I've talked with you before a couple months ago, i thought i knew modes (for quiet some time) but I was missing the big picture, then i realized i didn't know.

i learned somemore, then i thought i kinda knew modes.
but i still didn't get the big picture.

then.....I knew mooooodes. after a combination of websites and videos and tutorials and etc...
it finally came together. almost all at once.
We should set up a "modal" test on this forum. That would be funny. It would have questions like "In the key of A minor, what modes can you use?"
Soundcloud
Quote by N_J_B_B
Before I enter a jazz course? From my understanding modes are only used in "modal music" such as early classical music etc. With modes you can't shift key so it wouldn't suit a jazz environment would it?

No.
Quote by N_J_B_B

It's already been said, but no, don't worry about learning modes.

There is modal jazz out there (e.g. "So What"), but in a general jazz course, I don't think the material will go into modal jazz. If the course was titled "Modal Jazz," then you might want to know a thing or two about modes, but otherwise you should be able to get along fine without them.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by N_J_B_B

A good way to approach this would be to enter the course... and then follow the course as it's presented to you. If they introduce the use of modes..... learn it then.

Now I should add though, that if you're truly a theory nublet, that taking a jazz course might be a bit premature. Kinda like going into calculus before going through the preparatory math classes.

You might get something out of it, but the chances of you actually understanding it theoretically and being able to apply it musically = very slim.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 28, 2010,