I gots me a new amp the other day, a JCA20H and am loving it so far, really nice sound for rock and, with some boosting, metal. However one thing I've noticed is how badly it takes any pedals other than boosting, and being a bit of an effects geek, I like my distortion pedals.

While looking into some cheap clean amps I came across VHT, specifically this head: http://www.vhtamp.com/avsp16h.html
Does anybody here have any experience with it? I don't expect the world for such a low price, but does it sound alright and feel sturdy?
Does it work alright with pedals?

Anyone have any other suggestions? It doesn't need many bells and whistles, just cheap, preferrably a head as opposed to a combo, tube with a 'glassy' clean. It'll be for home playing (Can still be fussy!) and maybe recording, but not gigging.

Pic of the JCA, because why not.
Last edited by Geddiz at Sep 28, 2010,
You are asking for a lot from a tube amp with those requirements. The ones with the best clean tones aren't cheap. The best cleans I've heard from a guitar amplifier lately were from Blackstar's Artisan series amps. They're spectacular, but they definitely aren't cheap.

To get the best clean tones, you are going to need headroom. Since you like your Jet City 20-watt head, maybe you should look at some of their larger offerings. They've got a 100-watt head now that should give you what you want. It isn't going to be cheap, but it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than a Blackstar Artisan 100.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
do the second channel mod on your 20h search for the mod thread on harmony-central.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Yeah if you're familiar with electronics safety, adding a clean channel to the jca20h isn't too hard.

I just need to order the damn parts and put mine together lol.

EDIT: Also, I've hear that adding an effects loop to the jca20h isn't too hard either, so I might give that a shot when I get the money.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Sep 28, 2010,