Well, I'll be going to university in the city next year and I can't be playing big loud amps, so I'm thinking of getting a mini amp.

Anyone who owns or played the Rev Jr (or Pro) at any point wanna give me some opinions on it? There aren't a lot of mini amps out there, but this one is tailors specifically for metal which is what I like.

All I really know about its sound is what I saw on YouTube.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
From my experience, it's a solid amp...but I think it lacks on features for the price. Also, it's really loud. You can't crank it at a university...at all. That said, it doesn't sound terrible at low volume...but it definitely sounds better cranked.

What I'm trying to say is, if you want to use a tube amp at a university...you're just as well off using a 120 watt tube amp as you would be using a 15 tube watt amp.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
^Unless of course the actual physical SIZE of the amp is the problem...in which case I'd buy a combo instead of a mini stack.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
this has nothing to do with this thread, but your username is awesome

oh and thats a good amp

i regret not buying it last summer
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
It is both sound and size. The amp I have no (VK) is about 70 odd pounds, so I can't be having that big bastard taking up space. I thought the Krank was kind of expensive too. I've been looking at the Orange Tiny Terror, and the Blackstar HT-5. Of course, actually finding a place that sells them in Canada is the hard part.

I also won't be living in dorms, so I should get more "freedom" when it comes to volume.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

AH well the not living in dorms part really opens up your options. I recommend the Blackstar HT-5, the Blackstar HT-20 (much better than the 5) and the Egnater Tweaker. I honestly recommend against the Tiny Terror. It also costs more than its worth. I LOVE Orange amps...a LOT...but the Tiny Terror is a one channel amp with no features, no FX loop, and 2 controls for $300-$400 more than similar amps.

If you can't find any of those amps in Canada, you could always use an online music store with a return policy that ships to Canada.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Yeah, I don't really know a lot about Orange or Blackstar so I'm just going by what I see on Youtube or what I hear on UG. The only reason I thought of the TT is because of Rob Chapman's YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ

Though, he says he thinks the HT-5 is better for playing metal in the comment section and the few videos of the HT5 I have seen have sounded great.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Feature's wise the Krank is somewhat lacking, but tonally its excels like no other. There was a series of clips on the Sneap forums pitting a 20watt Rev jr against a Valveking and 5150 and the Krank won by a huge margin.

That said as an owner of a Rev+ I may be a little biased, but I love it.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

What kind of 'freedom' do you have for volume? If you can play it at a decent volume, then it's tough to beat the Rev Jr. IMO. Nice cleans, and great OD, and The parametric EQ makes the amp pretty dynamic. As far as it's price, just go used. It can be had for sub $500 easy off of musicians friend (plus shipping, about another $50) and IMO for the quality and tone at that price, it's tough to beat, especially if you're after an amp for metal.

The Blackstar stuff (HT-20 and HT-Dual) I've played really doesn't come close to the Rev Jr. in terms of tone or quality. As far as the Tweaker goes, that amps not really geared for metal.

Also, what sort of metal do you play?

Edit: I don't get why people are saying it lacks features. It has an FXs loop, two footswitchable channels with independent EQs, and the drive channel has a parametric EQ.
Last edited by Shabadoo at Sep 28, 2010,
I play Metalcore stuff occasionally as well as old school stuff like Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, etc. and thrash (Bay Area). I don't play anything heavy like death metal.

I want a tight, punchy sound, but beefy enough to keep me happy.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

It's got more of a modern tone to it for sure, but it'll be able to pull off the NWOBHM and Sabbath stuff as well. I play similar stuff to you and have no problem pulling off the sounds. Typically I like to have a similar lead tone to Maiden's. Though for stuff like Sabbath, I though the standard was more appropriately voiced.

Edit: Are you deadset on getting something like a mini stack? I'm only asking because I'm planning a university rig and I have no intention of making my Rev Jr. a part of it.
Last edited by Shabadoo at Sep 28, 2010,
The Rev Jr Pro is an awesome head. It sounds VERY close to the Rev+, and is a lot cheaper. IMO, they're worth every penny and not overpriced at all. The Standard Rev Jr has less gain and the channels aren't footswitchable. You can pick up either one pretty cheap on the used market.

Anyone who wants to suggest a Blackstar, Egnater, etc over it is ridiculous. A new Rev Jr Pro is the absolute best amp in it's price range for metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Meh. WHile the Krank MIGHT be technically higher quality, it's also in a different price range and, from my experience, seems to be almost limited to modern tones. The Tweaker isn't good for metal I agree...but the Blackstar can do classic rock and modern metal...and has better cleans than the Krank hands down.

They're just different. I'd prefer the Blackstar 20x over, but thats just me. Not the HT-5, though. It's kinda meh compared to the 20.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
It's been a while since I've played a Rev Jr, but the cleans on the Rev+ head are very good. I have a hard time believing that the Blackstar's cleans are that much better.

It must also be said that 90% of people who decide they don't like Kranks, don't like them because they don't know how to use the sweep knob, the single most important control on the amp.

To each their own though - but the TS asked for an amp that would specifically do metal, not an amp that is versatile, while still being able to do metal decently.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com