My band are going to be gigging soon, now we've decided to do a cover of A little piece of heaven by Avenged Sevenfold, but as the song is quite long, 8 minutes, we are going to have it cut half way through so it doesn't take up too much of our set list. I think the most appropriate time to end is at 5:10. The point of this thread is to ask if this is a good point to end the song, or does it ruin it?, or if that's still too long. All comments are welcome and needed
People are gonna have different opinions. I can tell you now that most people won't like it. Personally, I think cutting any song short is ruining it. I think it'd be better to just play the song in it's entirety. It's more or less a decision you should make between your band.
Honestly, you shouldn't even attempt it without the full orchestration backing track.
Check out my band Disturbed
yeah a lot of the harmony lies within the orchestra - who, I believe are members of Oingo Boingo
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by StewieSwan
Honestly, you shouldn't even attempt it without the full orchestration backing track.

This. If you need to cut it down then cut it out, there's no point doing some of it when you could use that time to play a full song. Also, as much as I like that track, there are many many people who simply won't get it.
Don't cut it down, that ruins the whole point of it.

And you can't pull off that song. Sorry.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by Snowman388

And you can't pull off that song. Sorry.

Who says? - you elitist douche

Its not that hard, female vocalist, get a midi orchestral backing track, import it into ableton or any other decent sequencer and just get the guitar and bass tracks down

the song itself tells a good story (albeit creepy) and its best to keep it the length it is

P.S. with the midi thing, find the GP file for little piece of heaven on this site and just remove the drum / guitar / bass tracks and export it as a midi file
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
LOL...i play the song acoustic style myself...and i dont think ppl will get it...

those guys have been in the bizz for over 10 years...its like trying to cover "the trial" by pink floyd...awesome song...

i would wait...pratice it awhile till your good at it..vocals and all

if you can record part of it..to see how it sounds...if it sounds good go with it..if not..wait till your more experienced...

and remember..you screw a gig up..they might not have you back there to preform.

Good Luck