ok, i play guitar, but i play alone
I don't have anyone to practice with so i usually just solo by myself.
I'll also make some simple backing tracks on guitar pro and loop them.
I've learned a gooood amount of music theory, and over time my music theory knowledge has become practical with my guitar player.

I'm good at a lot of different techniques and whatnot.
I'd like to be able to make some full instrumentals with my one guitar
I aim for melodic and sometimes gloomy/depressing.

I need some help as to what techniques and concepts would help me with this.
for the most part, i just improvise over my scales or modes while throwing in a quick chord progression and switching back and forth between the progression and improvising. I also use arpeggios in my improves.

here are a couple examples

this is a bass tapping solo i really like, the guy doesn't use chords, just single notes and it all flows well and has a particular feel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UsA6BbtWgI

a cover of 15 fathoms counting. the guy plays it pretty well, a mixture of picking and strumming chords i suppose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8VGvoHXtVU&feature=related

a guy playing a cover of sotto voce, there are multiple guitars, but the guitars individually sound good without one another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTNWVRfDLyc&feature=related

any advice or tips?

I don't have anyone to practice with so i usually just solo by myself.
I'll also make some simple backing tracks on guitar pro and loop them.
I've learned a gooood amount of music theory, and over time my music theory knowledge has become practical with my guitar player.

I'm good at a lot of different techniques and whatnot.
I'd like to be able to make some full instrumentals with my one guitar
I aim for melodic and sometimes gloomy/depressing.

any advice or tips?

Listen to some gloomy / melodic stuff, what do they do?

Do you really know your theory ? If you did you could probably just come up with a chord progression / melody that suited what you wanted.

Get diatonic harmony so unbelievably down you can write chord progressions in your sleep. Major and Minor, even harmonic and melodic minor. Not just learning their position on the neck either, what makes them unique, what makes that sound so sad etc. etc.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
well, I don't think i have much of a problem with that. I can write progressions easily, i know all the chords (triads, and 7ths) that can be derived from a major scale. i can literally see them within the scale on my guitar neck. it takes me a second to find my harmonic minor chords, i don't know those by heart but there's just a couple chords different than natural minor.

thanks for the advice, i will work more with my progressions.

I'm trying to get used to as many different inversions as i can.

quick question
the purpose of inversions, I've been told the purpose plenty of times but it always seems kinda flimsy flamsy.
the purpose is to....umm...make the individual notes of a chord transition to their next relative note in the next chord in a particular way that the individual notes follow an individual pattern(ex. no parallel 5ths)....this helps the chords stand out and flow better

this is how i would explain it, am i correct?
Quote by dlfloyd

quick question
the purpose of inversions, I've been told the purpose plenty of times but it always seems kinda flimsy flamsy.
the purpose is to....umm...make the individual notes of a chord transition to their next relative note in the next chord in a particular way that the individual notes follow an individual pattern(ex. no parallel 5ths)....this helps the chords stand out and flow better

this is how i would explain it, am i correct?

I'm not sure myself, I haven't devoted a great portion of my time to them - however i think its to firstly, create a different sound, and also to get the chords to flow better, like you said

for example

in C major

B B C
C D F
G G A
E E E

so there you have Cmaj7, Emin7 and Fmaj7 with little movement in chord tones
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?