I'm going to fly to NY to buy a new guitar, and check some amps out as well. So the guy from Guitar Center that I know said we'd have to order some amps for them to be in store (not order in the sense of buying).

Basically, I want to know the difference in sound between these amps, so I don't have to make the poor guy order all of them. Youtube clips don't seem to be as good as I'd wish for comparing. These are the amps:

Mesa Boogie Mark V.

Engl Powerball 100W.

Mesa Boogie Roadster 100W head.

Mesa Boogie Dual or Triple Rectifier.

Thanks in advance.

tl;dr - don't be lazy and read all of it
Mesa Mark V - The Jesus of amps. Amazing versatility, the cleans are great and you can get really good high-gain tones as well.

ENGL Powerball - Never played one myself, but I've heard great metal tones from them, don't think I've heard the cleans though.

Mesa Roadster - Never played one. Which I guess is pretty bad...

Mesa Dual/Triple Rec - Amazing for metal, cleans are good, but not as good as a Mark series amp.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Not to be rude, but your flying to NY to go to Guitar Center?

Try not to actually buy anything there. You will pay overpriced most likely.

And if your thinking Engl get a Savge, a Blackmore or in the same price range ans the PB, get a Fireball.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Sep 28, 2010,
I'd go for the Mark V or a new Dual Rec...

ENGL Powerballs, overhyped mounds of shit. Couldn't get a thick sounding metal tone for the life of me. Tried all kinds of settings but it sounded fizzy, thin and didn't have any balls to it.

I'm preparing my flameshield as we speak, although it's only my opinion, so suck it up .
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
And yes, I'm flying to NY because where I live there's no music equipment, and I was going to make a thread just for asking about different shops. I guess I'll just ask here.
What other shops are there in NY, I only know Guitar Center and Sam Ash. It does have to be around the Manhattan area.

So, the Rectifiers are more metal specific. Interesting.. better go with the Mark V.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
And yes, I'm flying to NY because where I live there's no music equipment, and I was going to make a thread just for asking about different shops. I guess I'll just ask here.
What other shops are there in NY, I only know Guitar Center and Sam Ash. It does have to be around the Manhattan area.

So, the Rectifiers are more metal specific. Interesting.. better go with the Mark V.

The Mark V is like the jack of all trades. It has its feet wet in each of the channels and all sound superb with a bit of tweaking.

I'm quite jealous you've got the money to spend on a Mark V .
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Most NY shops are small over priced and rude people...You can google hundreds of them..If you want a cheap amp for metal get the 6505+ or 6345+

If you dont mind spending a little extra, get a Fireball 100w or dont listen to me..I just hate Mesa with a passion.

A good online source is TTK.com the tone king he makes a living of comparing amps, is unbiased and has good quality audio
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
A bunch of cool shops on 48th st and I think Broadway. Manny's is there, Sam Ash, 48th St Guitars, some others. I haven't been to N.Y. in a while. There used to be a couple of shops in the East Village as well.
Mark V - Great cleans and crunch, lead channel isn't anything spectacular IMO. Wouldn't pay the price they go for new, or used.

Powerball - Never played one, no one stocks Engl around here unless I want to drive 3 hours, I've heard they cut through a mix horribly though.

Roadster - Great amp, super versatile, tons of great sounds. Tighter than a Recto and better sounding than a modern 3 channel (I've not played the 2010 model, but I still feel confident in saying that it's better ).

Recto - Like I said - I haven't played the 2010, I've heard they're significantly better than the older 3 channels (which IMO sucked). The 2 channels however, are ****ing awesome.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you are going to be in the NY area I suggest heading to Russo music center.

The nearest one to me is in Trenton/Hamilton New Jersey.

They stock a wide range of boutique amps (Orange, Mesa, Bogner, etc).

I prefer to go there as often as possible and avoid guitar center and sam ash (flame on - I hate sam ash... if the entire franchise exploded in a fiery cloud of ash I wouldn't flinch). The Sam Ash in New York is crap - don't go there. The best guitar center in the area is on Route 18 NJ if you must go to a guitar center.

Call Russo - will be worth it.

Here is the contact info (and no I don't work for them or have no affiliation what so ever - they are just an amazing and knowledgeable retailer whom I have had great experience with):

609-888-0260
1989 Arena Drive
Hamilton NJ, 08610
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Gibson Les Paul Studio - Gem Series
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-ESP Horizon FR II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Quote by Vitor_vdp
Hmmm.. mixed opinions. Just makes it that much harder to choose damn it.
Which stores have Mark Vs and Rectumfriers in stock anyway, because on GC you have to order them.

You'll have to call around, a store has to be licensed to sell Mesa products, and there's only allowed to be 1 store in something like a 20 mile radius. For example - of the 3 closest Guitar Centers to me, only 2 carry Mesa. Also, stores are not allowed to sell new Mesas for cheaper than what Mesa tells them, otherwise if Mesa finds out, they will take away their license to sell them.

Check Mesa's website, they should have a list of all the dealers in the Manhattan area; most stores that carry them should at least have the Recto and Roadster - The Mark V, maybe not, as they're still on back order from Mesa if I'm not mistaken (though the last time I was in the Tempe GC, they had 2, so I guess it depends).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by maddnotez
Not to be rude, but your flying to NY to go to Guitar Center? Try not to actually buy anything there. You will pay overpriced most likely.

The NYC Guitar Center is one of the largest guitar stores in the country, has more vintage stuff than most vintage shops, and discounts more than most discount stores. And it also has sub-stores for acoustic, bass, drums, and an entire floor for studio and stage gear.

But it’s a terrible place to try out high-end amps. That store is always packed with tourists and college kids hammering out death metal riffs on modeling amps. Your time would be better spent by contacting the independent dealers around town and trying out the different amps in those shops than going to one of GCs flagship stores. Just about any amp can be found in some little mom-and-pop place if you do your homework, and you won’t have to wait in line behind some dipshit kid who wants to spend an afternoon trying out pedals he can’t afford to buy. You might be able to convince them to put you in the soundproof room, but I think that’s mostly for people trying out the $3,000+ guitars.
Wait, so how far is Russo from Manhattan? Hmmm... so maybe in another GC I can find one of the Mesas... I just hope I have time to go around, I'm only going to be there for a day.

Edit: I just realized you said New Jersey. Damn, no way I can get there.
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by Vitor_vdp
Wait, so how far is Russo from Manhattan? Hmmm... so maybe in another GC I can find one of the Mesas... I just hope I have time to go around, I'm only going to be there for a day.

From Manhattan most likely about 1.5 - 2 hours depending on traffic.

Try calling each place first to see what they have in stock. The Manhattan GC isnt terrible its just packed to hell and not a good place to give a new amp a good test drive.

There are also a few smaller shops around the area in Manhattan - just need to do some research and see what they have.

I know there is a Sam Ash, a Guitar Center, and a Rudy's right next to each other.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Quote by Vitor_vdp
http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/dlr_select_2.php

Just found this list. Should I call each one to check if they actually have the Mesas?

If you are crunched for time (since you will only be there one day) then yes I would definitely call and see what they have in stock and what they are willing to "hold" for you. Plenty of times I have called a GC and asked to hold something for an hour only to get there and it was gone.

Just note that a lot of those stores on the NY list are not close to New York City. So make sure to call ones that say New York, New York.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
None are close from that list...

May want to try Sam Ash and Rudy's music - they are right next door to the guitar center on 48th and may have something similar.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Yea it is the same one - I missed it when I was looking through. It is around the corner (47th street instead of 48th).

Another place that is always packed but I find the people there are very knowledgeable on the gear they are selling. A good place to check out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
Quote by Vitor_vdp
The GC I went to once was the one in 48th street. If anyone knows about that area, which other stores from the list are relatively close to it?

The big GC is now on 14th Street about two blocks west of Union Square. Most of the old 48th street guitar shops have either closed or moved so the independent dealers are scattered all over Manhattan. But none of them are terribly out of the way, so call ahead, find the amps you want to try, and spend a day taking the subway from store to store.
Quote by jpnyc
The big GC is now on 14th Street about two blocks west of Union Square. Most of the old 48th street guitar shops have either closed or moved so the independent dealers are scattered all over Manhattan. But none of them are terribly out of the way, so call ahead, find the amps you want to try, and spend a day taking the subway from store to store.

Damn I havn't been up to 48th street in a while since I now shop almost exclusively in Jersey or online. Had no idea they moved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab