Hi UG.

I am getting a Peavey 6505+ head for christmas and I'm looking into getting a cab for it as well. I can spend maybe 600$ (CDN) on a cab and I'd prefer if it was brand new. I'm just looking for some suggestions. I will be buying from musiciansfriend.com so it would have to be available on there. I play droptuned metal ala Black Dahlia, Suicide Silence etc. Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Does it HAVE to be from Musicians friend???? If so your options are very limited.

If so Id check out some 2x12. Bogner, Orange, Krank...

If not id suggest going elsewhere and looking into. Vader or Mesa oversised cab. 4x12.

Ive been hearing alot about Ported cabs as well. Dr.Z is a good example
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by DroptuneD
Hi UG.

I am getting a Peavey 6505+ head for christmas and I'm looking into getting a cab for it as well. I can spend maybe 600$ (CDN) on a cab and I'd prefer if it was brand new. I'm just looking for some suggestions. I will be buying from musiciansfriend.com so it would have to be available on there. I play droptuned metal ala Black Dahlia, Suicide Silence etc. Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks

Forget musiciansfriend.

http://www.saxon-cabs.ca/index.html

That guy's in Ontario and will build a better one for you for less.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Thanks STAB. I'll give him a try.
Quote by WtrPlyr
May I ask why you're getting a 6505 when you have a 5150?

Maybe because he wants a half stack because the 5150 is a combo?
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Quote by Mazz211
Maybe because he wants a half stack because the 5150 is a combo?

What a waste of money...its the same amp.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan

No it's not.

The 5150 is closer to the II/+ in voicing, though still more in the middle. It's biased warmer, is smoother and less raw sounding than the heads. Really don't like the combo at all, the head is a significant upgrade if you want the same general tone IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by SLonergan

No they're not.Also, 2x12 combos are a pain in the ass to move not that a half stack isn't a bit of a pain in it's own right.

edit: listen to MC^
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 28, 2010,
I'm gettin the HS because it IS an upgrade in tone and I would rather lug a HS around than the 90LB combo.
I can carry a head and a cab separately by myself up my apartment stairs. The same cannot be said about the awkward combo.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I don't want to sound like a dick but a 4x12 cab isn't gonna be lighter (might even be heavier) and harder to move then the 2x12 combo.

You must not have carried a 5150 combo then
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
We're talking about a 4x12 cab right? Or am I understanding this wrong. I don't see you carrying a 4x12 cab up a stairs by yourself. But whatever, I'm not talking you down or something, I just don't understand.

EDIT: Matrixclaw, I haven't, but he says the combo is 90 lbs which is about 40 kg if I'm not mistaken. A 4x12 isn't much lighter right..?
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Sep 28, 2010,
I've carried my buddies Randall 4x12 cab up the stairs by myself...granted they are not the sturdiest or well built cabs. A cab is equipped with better handles to carry with than the 5150 combo is.
Quote by WtrPlyr
We're talking about a 4x12 cab right? Or am I understanding this wrong. I don't see you carrying a 4x12 cab up a stairs by yourself. But whatever, I'm not talking you down or something, I just don't understand.

EDIT: Matrixclaw, I haven't, but he says the combo is 90 lbs which is about 40 kg if I'm not mistaken. A 4x12 isn't much lighter right..?

Everywhere I've seen online says that the 5150 is 85 lbs, which has to be wrong.

When I sold my combo - it was 110 lbs packed, there's no way in hell I added 35 lbs in packing materials.

And yes, my Marshall 1960 cab was lighter and more portable than that combo was
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yea honestly, it has to weigh like 100 LBS.
its not even just the weight its more the awkwardness of carrying the 5150 combo. even with a 2nd person its easier to transport a 4x12 than the 5150combo because the 5150combo is just so awkward.
Quote by justinb904
No they're not.Also, 2x12 combos are a pain in the ass to move not that a half stack isn't a bit of a pain in it's own right.

edit: listen to MC^

If he's looking for convenience, I don't see how a big 4x12 and a head is the answer.

Quote by MatrixClaw
No it's not.

The 5150 is closer to the II/+ in voicing, though still more in the middle. It's biased warmer, is smoother and less raw sounding than the heads. Really don't like the combo at all, the head is a significant upgrade if you want the same general tone IMO.

That's fair. I haven't spent a lot of time with the combo, so I'm really just going by what I've heard here.

I guess I just don't see a reason to upgrade to a halfstack if you already have a 2x12 combo, and are just looking for the same general tone.

Oh well, to each his own.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
its not even just the weight its more the awkwardness of carrying the 5150 combo. even with a 2nd person its easier to transport a 4x12 than the 5150combo because the 5150combo is just so awkward.

Yes, that it is. I will never own a 2x12 combo again because of that. The 5150 and RK combo I had were like WTF. I'd rather carry 2 4x12s up 10 flights of stairs than either one of those once
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The head and a 2x12 would be the most convenient for transporting. Mesa 4x12 is over 100 lbs.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
The head and a 2x12 would be the most convenient for transporting. Mesa 4x12 is over 100 lbs.

This. A 4x12 isn't too bad to bring up and down stairs but sometimes it's a pain with my bad knees (I don't think they'll give out usually but sometimes it's scary carrying that much weight ). I'm a skinny dude and as I just said I don't have the best knees and lug 4x12s up stairs without much of a problem.

Just be glad plywood is better than MDF for cabs
Quote by Matt15f

I dunno, mine is lighter than a 5150 combo and the RK combo I had. Still heavy as shit though. My Framus cab is super light in comparison
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com