Mark Knopfler. I've been playing coming up on three years now and I'm fairly good for the time I've been playing. I wanna be able to play like Mark Knopfler. To be able to play something that sounds like he would play. I idolise his playing and song writing. Now, my question is, where do I start? Oh, I'm already a fingerstyle guitarist too!
Last edited by leg end at Sep 28, 2010,
Who?
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
^ Thanks, I'll check them out. As for advice, I would say don't neglect your own style. I wasn't happy until I started working on that, and my friend STILL tries to not sound like Van Halen with little success.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
Quote by BeerBlood
^ Thanks, I'll check them out. As for advice, I would say don't neglect your own style. I wasn't happy until I started working on that, and my friend STILL tries to not sound like Van Halen with little success.

Yeah, Mark Knopfler's a genius.

So then, if that's the case, how do I sound more like me?
Quote by leg end
Yeah, Mark Knopfler's a genius.

So then, if that's the case, how do I sound more like me?

Good question. While I try to play uniquely, I can sound completely like Richard Lederer or Tony Iommi if I want. I personally play a culmination of everything I like.

I guess my point is you can learn to sound like Mark AND yourself. As for how, just play what you like I suppose. It took me a few years to get there, too.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Last edited by BeerBlood at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by BeerBlood

Good question. While I try to play uniquely, I can sound completely like Richard Lederer or Tony Iommi if I want. I personally play a culmination of everything I like.

I guess my point is you can learn to sound like Mark AND yourself. As for how, just play what you like I suppose. It took me a few years to get there, too.

So I guess just learn Mark Knopfler/ Dire Straits songs and see what happens?
Quote by leg end
So I guess just learn Mark Knopfler/ Dire Straits songs and see what happens?
Sounds good to me. I'm going to go play some Halo to celebrate my new song.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
I agree, Knopfler is a genius. I have always maintained that many the "shredder" could profitably look at what Knopfler does with his solos. They are like little orchestral pieces with a distinct beginning, middle, and end.
Check out the solo on "Tunnel of Love" from "Making Movies", or "Speedway at Nazareth" from "Sailing to Philadelphia". Just superb. He's done a lot of movie soundtrack work too.

Knopfler is a fingerstylist, mostly. There are numbers of books and such on his technique; Google is your friend. He gets a unique tone as well; I think Guitar Player interviewed him during the Dire Straights period and he discussed his set-up.

I agree also that one should develop one's own particular style and tone. Les Paul said that you should play so that if your mother hears you on the radio, she knows it's you.

Good advice. If you try to emulate your hero, the best you'll ever get is "Hey, you sound almost as good as so-and-so!"
Also ^ R.I.P. Les Paul. He got far too little coverage. Les Paul > Michael Jackson.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
When I listen to Knopfler I hear a lot of classical inspiration in his songs. Fingerstyle arpeggios, crescendos and a very smooth attack on the notes.

I should also inform you he often uses a compressor pedal to add sustain to his clean tone.
Quote by BeerBlood
Also ^ R.I.P. Les Paul. He got far too little coverage. Les Paul > Michael Jackson.

As an engineer yes, but not as a musician. Not even close.
Quote by JayLacelle
As an engineer yes, but not as a musician. Not even close.
I happen to like his jazz better; but that wasn't an attack on MJ. I loves me some Thriller.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Quote by leg end
Mark Knopfler. I've been playing coming up on three years now and I'm fairly good for the time I've been playing. I wanna be able to play like Mark Knopfler. To be able to play something that sounds like he would play. I idolise his playing and song writing. Now, my question is, where do I start? Oh, I'm already a fingerstyle guitarist too!

My god. Somebody on this website with an actual realistic goal?

As opposed to wanting to play like Y. Malmsteen after one year. Amazing.

His style is closest to what I would call country/blues. So you want to get some of those licks down. There's tons of videos on Youtube.
Quote by BeerBlood
I happen to like his jazz better; but that wasn't an attack on MJ. I loves me some Thriller.

Ok no problem. I just thought that post looked like a cheap shot on MJ but I spoke too soon. Cheers
Quote by Bikewer
I agree, Knopfler is a genius. I have always maintained that many the "shredder" could profitably look at what Knopfler does with his solos. They are like little orchestral pieces with a distinct beginning, middle, and end.
Check out the solo on "Tunnel of Love" from "Making Movies", or "Speedway at Nazareth" from "Sailing to Philadelphia". Just superb. He's done a lot of movie soundtrack work too.

Knopfler is a fingerstylist, mostly. There are numbers of books and such on his technique; Google is your friend. He gets a unique tone as well; I think Guitar Player interviewed him during the Dire Straights period and he discussed his set-up.

I agree also that one should develop one's own particular style and tone. Les Paul said that you should play so that if your mother hears you on the radio, she knows it's you.

Good advice. If you try to emulate your hero, the best you'll ever get is "Hey, you sound almost as good as so-and-so!"

I know a lot of Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits songs haha. I'm somewhat of a fanboy! That's what I like about MK, he knows a good melody and can write a good solo that actually goes places. Nothing more annoying than a solo that is just "there" if you know what I mean.

Quote by jogogonne
My god. Somebody on this website with an actual realistic goal?

As opposed to wanting to play like Y. Malmsteen after one year. Amazing.

His style is closest to what I would call country/blues. So you want to get some of those licks down. There's tons of videos on Youtube.

I've watched nearly MK video on Youtube haha! Having a goal is good. If you've got nowhere to aim, you've got nowhere to go. I've never been one for these flashy "shredders". People like MK can say more with 5 notes than any shredder could with any amount of notes.

Thanks for the advice guys.