Page 1 of 3
http://gizmodo.com/5649828/physicist-says-theres-a-50-chance-time-itself-will-end-within-earths-lifespan

ok, well its a 50% chance, either way thats some twisted shit to think about
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
So if everything is infinite. Every possible scenario will play out eventually. Every possible scenario will play out more than once. "Time is going to end" more than once. No worries. Probably already happened and we didn't notice. Now, time for a cup of tea.
Quote by SadusAttack
This will give me new material for a song!

Just get an infinite number of monkeys to write it for you!
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Just get an infinite number of monkeys to write it for you!

But then I'd have to learn warping reality, and mastering it so I don't fuck up anything..it's just too much of a hassle. Plus monkeys are only good for flinging shit at each other.
But seriously; Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so
Last edited by seafoodgar at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by leg end
So if everything is infinite. Every possible scenario will play out eventually. Every possible scenario will play out more than once. "Time is going to end" more than once. No worries. Probably already happened and we didn't notice. Now, time for a cup of tea.

^This.

Also, all this theorizing is based on the assumption that our current knowledge of the laws of physics is complete.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by SG_dave
Bullshit, time is relative and a human construct. Time ends when we end.
I love how people seek to apply Einstein's theory of relativity to everything.

/sarcasm

Why would time go on forever? At least, why would it do so in its current cycle?

Quote by doomded
^This.

Also, all this theorizing is based on the assumption that our current knowledge of the laws of physics is complete.
And we already know that's it not. There are still things in physics that confuse modern scientists.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 28, 2010,
What happens when time ends...? Do we all just freeze and remain that way until we starve to death? It doesn't make any sense. Time isn't a thing, it's a concept.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Totally true But that dude's right...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
time and the universe are both not infinite, this 'physicist' needs to go learn the second law of thermodynamics.
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Time doesn't end until I say it ends.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Keep waiting...

Ok, time's up. How's everyone feel?
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by bladedguitar66

Ok, time's up. How's everyone feel?

THEN WHO WAS *explodes*
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Damn
There goes my 3.7billionth birthday That was gonna be a big one as well

I fail to see why they feel the need to be telling us not to worry about when the world is going to end
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

/sarcasm

Not sure what to take from this. I'm not applying Einsteins theory at all.
Just because i said relative doesn't mean i'm talking about mass and energy.
I thought time and space were relative. "Spacetime" is something a few scientists have been studying for time travel. Like using a wormhole, bending space is also bending time. Its one of those Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman.
Ibanez RG350DX
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Carvin V412 400W
Jackson Randy Rhoads
Last edited by Thayil_Noise at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by Gizmodo.com
Think of it as the same idea as the thousand monkeys on the typewriters—sooner or later, they'll crank our Shakespeare, just by chance.

They can crank my Shakespeare any day
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Quote by SG_dave
I know, but they're a major part of it.

I was just talking about how time is percieved differently depending where you view it from.

So...the theory of relativity?
Quote by SG_dave

not true, we won't notice it but it'll still be there. When humans die, everything won't cease to exist

EDIT: i don't understand why we think it'll take thousands of monkeys to write shakespeare, all it took was one to do it the first time.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Last edited by bass-man9712 at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by SG_dave

If a year passes in a forest and no-one is there to date it, did it really pass?

>_>

And there is one major flaw in what that guy is saying, as far as I can see. It is not 100% certain that everything will happen. The probability will tend towards 100%, but it won't necessarily happen. Theoretically you can flip a coin infinite times and it can land heads every single time. I think.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Think of it as the same idea as the thousand monkeys on the typewriters—sooner or later, they'll crank our Shakespeare, just by chance.

O Rly?
Quote by SG_dave
I meant more like whether you're outside of time or not. If you're constrained by a finite existence

What?
I think of these as "divide by zero" questions because they accomplish one and only one thing:

They cause our current understanding of the Universe to spiral into absurdity, which is revealing of the fact that our understanding is incomplete.

Think of the weather. That's a macroscopic phenomenon that we can experience and predict within a matter of hours or days. Our current understanding of meteorology allows this to be accurate for 24 to 48 hours, maybe 72 hours. A week forecast is bullshit. 10-day forecast is complete horsecrap.

I could predict ten days out as well as any PhD or supercomputer. It will rain.

Okay?

At a certain level it becomes like predicting the gender of a child - the accuracy of predictions becomes equivalent to flipping a coin so you are, effectively, 50% accurate.

Beyond a billion years or so we are perhaps 80% accurate. 1.5 billion what is it? 60%?

Once it hits 50% we are just making a wild-assed guess, which is exactly what Physics is doing if it attempts to make predictions further out than our theories and models are capable of.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Time is a man-made concept.

Also, something having a 50% change of happening is a really half-arsed way of going about things. Everything has a 50% of change of happening, it either does or doesn't.
Time ends when I end, so you all better be nice to me or i'll kill off and blink all of you outta existence.

Straight up I Dream of Jeannie Status
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Last edited by diofan88 at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Time is a man-made concept.

Also, something having a 50% change of happening is a really half-arsed way of going about things. Everything has a 50% of change of happening, it either does or doesn't.

No it isn't, and I'm laughing at everyone who thinks it is. Measurements of time are man made concepts. A mile is a measurement of space. An hour is a measurement of time. Time and space both exist, even if there is no one to witness it. If time doesn't exist as something other than a concept, explain entropy.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 28, 2010,
what he said is all obvious and doesn't disprove anything.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
that's preposterous.

Saying time will end is like saying sideways or up and down will stop existing. Time and space are both connected, so one can only end if the other does. It's possible the universe will collapse back into a big crunch, the opposite of the big bang, but a dimension doesn't just "stop" existing.

Quote by entity0009
If a year passes in a forest and no-one is there to date it, did it really pass?

>_>

And there is one major flaw in what that guy is saying, as far as I can see. It is not 100% certain that everything will happen. The probability will tend towards 100%, but it won't necessarily happen. Theoretically you can flip a coin infinite times and it can land heads every single time. I think.

thing is, time as we know it has only been around a couple of billion years. Not exactly anywhere near what I'd call "infinite"
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 28, 2010,
Page 1 of 3