hi

ive aquired a 2nd hand Randall RH-150 that has a blown transformer, and i cant find any information at all online regarding them. Does anyone know anything about them, what type it is, roughly how much they cost etc?

Thanks
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Not yet, as its 2nd hand i didnt think they would provide support tbh
sweet, ive emailed them now.

prices online for other amps is kind of worrying, seems to range from £20 for some, to £200 for output transformers, which i expect is my problem
this is quite ironic, because i'm also soon may aquire a randall rh150 vd with a blown transformer....
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Quote by natehimself
this is quite ironic, because i'm also soon may aquire a randall rh150 vd with a blown transformer....

well if you find a place that sells replacements let me know
Quote by natehimself
That's not irony!

Anyway, you should be able to use any push-pull output transformer with similar wattage and impedance.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by DOHC
well if you find a place that sells replacements let me know

same with you! i hope it's cheap...then i'll pull the trigger on it.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
right ive had a look, probably a stupid question but as its a 150 watt amp i presume it needs a 150watt transformer?
Randall quoted me $89 shipped, which is presume is within the US, ive asked for a UK spec and delivery cost, ill post an update when i get it
I just bought an output transformer for my 20 watt amp, and it only costed 25 plus shipping. 89 shipped sounds good.

The mercury ones above are quite expensive.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Mercury always seemed a bit overpriced to me.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
89$ doesn't seem too bad... knowing that the amp that i'm looking at is 69$ with a footswitch. but the transformer is broken.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
before you bash me I must announce, I am an archaeologist by trade, so I am allowed to dig up relics...lol.

So I acquired on of these RH150G3 heads, low and behold the transformer is gone... Randall are no help at all "sorry discontinued". I know the part was available in 2011, so some time between 2011 and 2014 they've vanished off the face of the earth.

Does anyone know of any companies that make Transformers for these? I emailed mercurymagnetics and they will rebuild it, although they don't like to work on SS/Hybrid stuff, for $265-300..

Just want to see if there are options before pulling the trigger.
Last edited by brewerorrbrewer at May 13, 2014,
What output transformer? It's solid state with a single 12AT7 buffer stage driving a MOSFET power amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 13, 2014,
Output transformer part number RG100G312060. Its a Tube/Mosfet... so Hybrid I guess. Only has one tube.
That'd have to be the power transformer. Why would you use an output transformer on a MOSFET power amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
IDK man, I thought it was an output based on the little info I can find on the web about the RH150. Do you know somewhere I can find something like this? Or if there is something I can do to check to see if its functional, IDK maybe it could be wiring..
Last edited by brewerorrbrewer at May 13, 2014,
Describe the actual fault to me. It still could be the output, MOSFET's do fail from time to time. The problem is that unless you are a tech, fault finding a SS (or hybrid like this) can be quite difficult and a tech will probably charge more to diagnose it than the amp is worth to replace used.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
To be honest I am not sure what the actual fault is. I picked it up for nothing and the guy that previously owned it had a tech look and it and said it was the transformer. He had correspondence from Randall in 2011 saying the part would be $55USD, and of course now its discontinued. He did tell me he swapped out the standard tube for a Groove Tube, and I've seen forum discussions saying if you don't use the extact tube on this amp you'll run into trouble. I don't think this was an overly popular amp, based on the lack of info and discussion on the net.
Well that's pretty funny in itself. Groove Tube don't make tubes, they rebrand - and they rebrand all sorts of different brand tubes. Sounds like you've been fed a whole lot of bollocks. I can't see why any 12AT7 wouldn't work. If everything lights up but nothing works, try replacing the tube first. It's cheap and easy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well that's pretty funny in itself. Groove Tube don't make tubes, they rebrand - and they rebrand all sorts of different brand tubes. Sounds like you've been fed a whole lot of bollocks. I can't see why any 12AT7 wouldn't work. If everything lights up but nothing works, try replacing the tube first. It's cheap and easy.

+1 that is incredibly stupid. i don't know why that was said. thats probably all the shop it was at carried
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Finally got around to powering it up, smoke comes out of the Transformer after about 3mins of it being on. I pulled the transformer out, now I am not sure what to do with it...

** Wrong tube, I was insinuating he might of put the wrong type in. Brand had nothing to do with it.