Hey everyone, im trying to learn a bit of piano. Iv been reading up on how to read sheet music. I get it the way the lines mean e g b d f or face and all that. I just cant get my head around how to read chords on the sheet. Its VERY Confusing. Does anyone know a very easy and understandable way to read up on how to learn cause most things I read either just tell me about the whole face technique and then thats it and im left wondering, What the hells going on? So please i want an In depth guide and would love it if someone shared one with me
there has got to be atleast one guide to show someone how to learn properly
you just have to practice reading a lot. you have to read all the notes in the chord to play it but if you keep practicing it the shapes the notes make on the staff begin to seem familiar and you will know the chords as soon as you see it.
Quote by 97cloud1
Hey everyone, im trying to learn a bit of piano. Iv been reading up on how to read sheet music. I get it the way the lines mean e g b d f or face and all that. I just cant get my head around how to read chords on the sheet. Its VERY Confusing. Does anyone know a very easy and understandable way to read up on how to learn cause most things I read either just tell me about the whole face technique and then thats it and im left wondering, What the hells going on? So please i want an In depth guide and would love it if someone shared one with me

If you'd read my series you'd see I go into triads and chords.

First off, do YOU KNOW your triads? If not, then I suggest that you do so. If I come up to you, on the street, and say do you know the notes of a C# Major, and you say no...then you don't know them. Simple.

If you know your triads, then you learn how they fall in music, be it notation or anything else. If you don't grasp at least the basic concept of naming triads, then thats where you need to start.

You are the key to this...no amount of shortcuts and cris crossing and point the fingers at someone to make it simple for YOU, in the world is going to do it. If you want to learn to read music, it takes work. Deal with it. Start now and work slowly through it. Start with notes, you aren't ready for chords. Then work on 2 notes. Double stops. Write them out. For example, if I write out a G and a B on the staff, is it suggesting E minor or G Major? It could be either depending on the context

You aren't going to get it any other way, you have to decide to man up and just learn it. Quit looking for instant gratification with no work.

Best,

Sean
when trying to read chords, always start with the lowest note and move to higher notes .
Quote by 97cloud1
Hey everyone, im trying to learn a bit of piano. Iv been reading up on how to read sheet music. I get it the way the lines mean e g b d f or face and all that. I just cant get my head around how to read chords on the sheet. Its VERY Confusing.
First, I don't know if you know, the two staff bars each hold notes per hand. The top staff bar (mostly) in G clef are the notes to be played by your right hand, the bottom one (usually in F clef) for your left hand. If there is a third staff bar, then the top one is for the singer or another instrument. Both piano staff bars are usually preceded by an accolade.

The vertical location of a note (in reference to the clef) indeed specifies which pitch you need to play. But the symbol of the note (black, white and which kind of 'flag' it has) specifies how long it lasts.

All notes in the same column across the two (or three) staff bars start at the same time, but some may last while new ones are to be played, usually by the other hand. For complex parts, this can be a bit confusing.

Rests of different lengths each have their own symbol too.

This overview on Wikipedia shows all the symbols.

If you have more questions, post them as precise as possible, and we'll try to come up with an answer. Best of luck.