hey guys,
is it better to loosen the strings, or completely remove the strings when taking your guitar on a 6+ hr flight?
thanks!
I think if you remove all the strings then it causes upset with your guitar neck because it goes from lots of tension to no tension too quickly.

Or that might be an urban legend!
I'd go with loosening. You'll want to keep some tension, not remove ALL of it. Plus, it's allot easier to set back up. Make sure you have padding though.. otherwise strings are the least of your concern.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
i brought an acoustic guitar back from overseas once. All i did was loosen the strings and placed it in a case. I also let it sit in the case for a day or two before i got it properly setup with no problems at all. Make you you get one of those fragile stickers on the case. It gives the illusion that it was loaded and unloaded with care.
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
Just loosen the strings and if it's going in the cargo bay, use a hard case and NOT A BAG.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Loosen them a 1/2 step to 1 step. Not a whole lot, because you don't want to remove tension - your neck will adjust to not having tension, and then you'll have to wait for it to readjust again, and it's generally a pain in the ass.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X