Hey guys, I was just looking into a Fender American Deluxe HSS strat, and I was wondering about the overall playing versatility of the guitar and of the humbucker. Is it able to play anything heavy with the humbucker? I've always wanted a strat but I was thinking that having the hum in the there would be great, because I would always use the neck and middle pickups for my clean tones and never use my bridge pickup for cleans. So generally, just how far can the humbucker go, and what is the general output of it like? Thanks in advance.
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Even a single coil bridge pup can handle heavier stuff. The pickup will be fine, but if you predominantly play metal, hard rock, etc, it wouldnt hurt to get a higher-output pickup in there.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Even a single coil bridge pup can handle heavier stuff. The pickup will be fine, but if you predominantly play metal, hard rock, etc, it wouldnt hurt to get a higher-output pickup in there.

Would you recommend a Duncan or an EMG?
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Give the stock humbucker a chance. I think you'll be happy with it as-is. Nothing much more versatile than an HSS Strat.
Quote by deluthe
Give the stock humbucker a chance. I think you'll be happy with it as-is. Nothing much more versatile than an HSS Strat.

Other than a HSH strat with coil splits......they don't make those sadly.

An HSS strat will be more than enough, even with the stock pickups.
Quote by aeliustehman

Duncan... always duncan.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
yep, this guitar will be extremely versatile. my main strat is set up like this (but it has a hot rails in the bridge since it's an SSS). i play a lot of blues and blues rock...but my band is more of a hard rock band. i can use this guitar to play it all.
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Youtube any live Iron Maiden and you can see what the lads do with their strats!

Heavy is no problem on a HSS Strat, and for god's sake, DO NOT put an EMG in there!
My stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Special w/- humbuckers
Gibson Flying V
Ibanez RG550 1992
Epiphone Wildkat
LTD EC50
Marshall AVT150H
Marshall 1960A reissue
Fender Pro185
A wife who thinks I have too much stuff....
why the **** not?

if he wants he could put all EMGs in there.

Would still be verstile and sound amazing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by aeliustehman

GFS.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
HSS Strats are way over rated. At the end of the day it sounds like a Strat with a humbucker.No matter how much people wish it was something else.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
i m plannin to get one too.! the thing is there are two HSS strats, one mexican and one american (i think) and i guess both r cald fat strat cuz of their fat frets or wat ever. mexican one is around $700, you guys are talkin abt tat. Is that mexican strat $700 one good?

and the $700 guitar says STANDARD STRATOCASTER HSS. but my frnds say its the mexican strat. the american standard HSS is 1.4k dollars! icant afford tat much! pls help!
Quote by Bhaok
HSS Strats are way over rated. At the end of the day it sounds like a Strat with a humbucker.No matter how much people wish it was something else.

Well, I don't see the big problem here since it is a strat with a humbucker and happens to produce a wide range of nice tones with proper distortion/overdrive and an EQ.
I love my HSS strat.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
I was looking at the Highway One HSS Strat. It's American made and about $300.00 cheaper than the American Standard HSS and $100.00 cheaper than the American Special. It also has great reviews.
Quote by Tom 1.0
why the **** not?

if he wants he could put all EMGs in there.

Would still be verstile and sound amazing.

That would sound terrible.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
That would sound terrible.

um, no.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
um, no.

To me, it would.
Sorry I'm not all about EMGs like everyone else around here; I think they're super overrated.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
To me, it would.
Sorry I'm not all about EMGs like everyone else around here; I think they're super overrated.

I wouldn't say Jim Roots tone sucks, would you? A mahogany body, but an alder will still sound pretty bad ass.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by Sleaze Disease
To me, it would.

Agreed. It would sound awful.

I have a Strat with just a humbucker at the bridge. It sounds beautiful. So much nicer than single coils.
Quote by Bhaok

Pointless point is pointless.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by guitar nubsauce
I wouldn't say Jim Roots tone sucks, would you? A mahogany body, but an alder will still sound pretty bad ass.

I knew someone was going to bring up that guitar (which I think looks amazing).

Jim's tone is good for what he does, but in the entire scope of guitar tone, I don't find his tone particularly great.

In fact, if I were to buy a Jim Root Strat, you can bet the first thing I'd do is swap out those EMGs.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
My friend has a 62 re issue made in japan strat, fitted with a Seymour duncan JB in the bridge.. i cant even begin to describe how versatile that thing is.
Quote by guitar nubsauce
I wouldn't say Jim Roots tone sucks, would you?.

I would. I would. I really really insist that I would say Jim Root's tone sucks, my good man. Anyways, HSS Strats tend to be known as some of, if not THE most versatile guitars out there, so I'd say yeah, they're pretty versatile. XD And as for single coils playing metal, it's possible and I've done it, as have my friends, with decent tone(little trebly, but I like it, TBH), and even then, you could get an HSS then replace the bucker with a coil-tapped one if you wanted. Wouldn't be quite the same as an SSS, but it'd still be close.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.