So you have a DS-1 that you got for free in a craigslist trade, or real cheap as your first pedal. You used it a few times and decided it sucks. Does this sound familiar so far?

Had my DS-1 for about 2 years and only used it once cause I hated it, until I found this simple mod that only takes 5 minutes. This mod opened up the sound of my DS-1 and gave it more of a roaring marshall type sound.

Onto the mod

You'll slap yourself at how simple this is, NO SOLDERING INVOLVED! All you do is remove the back panel of the pedal and pull out the circuitboard. On the cb find point D4 and D5, now clip one of the legs on each of those points(scissors work fine). Put the cb back in, screw it shut, and your done! Seriously thats it!

I was very happy with the difference I got in tone from such a minimal amount of work. Thought i'd share this experience with all of you.

After the mod i like my DS-1 way better than my OD-3, and probably put it at the same level as my TS9. If I didn't just get a shredmaster it would definitely be part of my chain.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
What made you think to do this?
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Quote by Jasonbts
What made you think to do this?

I was gonna ask the same thing.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Someone on another forum told me what it did, I had my DS-1 lying around, I figured if I screwed anything up cause I didn't care about or use the pedal, and it's not like theres much of a market to sell them. So I figured why not? I ended up being quite a pleasant surprise. It's a much more useable pedal now.

I was wondering if maybe it would make another cool tweak if I say soldered the two cut points together, if not I could always unsolder them. Think I might try that this week as well.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Sep 28, 2010,
Things like this happen in solid state circuits. There was an instructional video here a while back that showed a similar thing (cutting just one lead) being done to a cheap 10 or 15 watt ss Squier amp. The change was pretty phenomenal for such a simple modification.
I just did it, i'm gonna go and try it out.

Edit: It does make it a lot clearer, a little louder too. Definitely better for a boost pedal, which I was using it for in the first place.
Last edited by Nevermind1299 at Sep 29, 2010,
what would happen if i soldered d4 and d5 together? i think maybe i'll try it tomorrow
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
what would happen if i soldered d4 and d5 together? i think maybe i'll try it tomorrow

I'm not 100% sure without seeing the schematic but the mod the OP described just gets rid of the diode. If you short the diode, then you're pulling a signal path up to Vdd or Gnd... I think /shrugs
sorry but i honestly don't know what vdd and gnd even mean. could you elaborate?
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
On a battery you have two connections to use the power. One side is a positive side (They just call it Vdd because of the MOSFET transistors, usually you connect the drain to the positive voltage) and the other side is a negative side. Everything electrical has a positive and negative, everything that flows out of the battery must flow back into the battery.

Actually, I looked into diode clipping just now.

If you look at this image, you can see that if you open circuit the diode, the signal will conduct fully on the top half. If you short circuit the diode, you'll just short the signal path to ground and you won't hear anything.
Last edited by farmosh203 at Oct 8, 2010,
yes, I was skeptical to, but it's very easy and very simple. won't damage your pedal
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Might have a go later. Only problem is the switching on my DS-1 is dodgy, it sometimes double presses the switch when I stomp it so it turns on then off again x_x

Any idea how to fix that? :P
Quote by handbanana
yes, I was skeptical to, but it's very easy and very simple. won't damage your pedal

I have a japanese stock ds-1, but cant find the d4 or d5, i can see d1, d2, d6, d7. any idea where these are?
Doesnt matter i found it.
Does it matter which side i cut on either 1?
Last edited by RockGuitarist09 at Oct 8, 2010,
@ RockGuitarist09 - pictures?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
don't know if it's different on the mij but it should be right around the middle
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
It shouldn't, I did both on the left from the bottom. Also if you accidentally cut the center part don't worry, it doesn't matter
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
i just cut d5, and it sounds a million times better. what does d4 do? maybe i could add a switch to put it in or out of the circuit...
D4 would cut the other half of the signal from D5. cutting it would make it louder and less distorted as well.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
D4 would cut the other half of the signal from D5. cutting it would make it louder and less distorted as well.

I don't really want that, what would I do for less bass and more mids?
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Does it sound fuller with the mod? I hate that screechy sound...

much fuller and thicker
Quote by plexi123
i just cut d5, and it sounds a million times better. what does d4 do? maybe i could add a switch to put it in or out of the circuit...

This is an interesting idea - some kind of mini toggle on and off.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
The diodes are in one of the loops from the IC, cutting either, doesn't matter which, or both will increase output while reducing the clipping. It turns the DS-1 into more of a booster rather than distortion.

One could EASILY use an off board switch, diodes wired directly to the switch, to toggle them rather than just cutting them out.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Switches/

look under Switch Between Two Different Components - a diode (stock DS-1) would be one side and a jumper (diode-cut mod) on the other.

If you wanted you could even add LEDs (more of a rat tone), germanium (octave), or mismatched diodes (asymmetrical clipping).
Last edited by _LoveFuzz_ at Feb 16, 2011,
Ok, stupid question - I have a DS-2 (Turbo Distortion), not a DS-1. Got it in a trade a long time ago but haven't used it much because it's not a great distortion (very harsh and screechy). Can this mod be done to the DS-2 also? I wasn't sure because it has two different distortion settings (normal and turbo). Would I have to make more cuts on mine since there are 2 distortions?
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Will it matter which is cut? or will it sound the same either way? I would still like some high end distortion, but what it is now is just ridiculous.
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
tried it, dont like it. i cut out one of the legs of d5. adds more volume and much more treble, less distortion. sounds tinnier than ever, and the distortion is not smoother. anyway to change it back?
My bad guys, while i was testing the screw driver i raised the pickup too much and forgot to lower it, that was the cause of the treble. it sounds ok, but not much better
Last edited by rkk94 at Feb 17, 2011,
Quote by rkk94
tried it, dont like it. i cut out one of the legs of d5. adds more volume and much more treble, less distortion. sounds tinnier than ever, and the distortion is not smoother. anyway to change it back?
My bad guys, while i was testing the screw driver i raised the pickup too much and forgot to lower it, that was the cause of the treble. it sounds ok, but not much better

What guitar and amp are you using with it? That can make a big difference. Also mess with the tone knob and level. The higher the level is the more bass there is. And imo, the tone knob is much more useable after the mod.