Poll: Who did it better?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who did it better?
The Simpsons
23 61%
Family Guy
15 39%
Voters: 38.
This is something I have actually been giving a lot of thought to for a very long time now.

In my honest opinion, Family Guy is a way better version than the simpsons, and I even grew up with the simpsons since they first started. Yeah both shows are kind of old now, but family guy never ceases to make me die. I'll probably get a lot of flaming from dedicated simpsons fans though.

Simpsons did it first, but I think Family Guy did it better.

While they aren't exactly structured the same, i'd accept South Park and Futurama being thrown into the debate. I think both of them are better than the simpsons to
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Futurama is better than the Simpsons.
South Park is better than Family Guy.

Simpsons lost it's edge a long time ago, it's not really pushing the bar anymore. After the first couple of seasons, South Park just came along and added a whole new level of vulgarity and violence, which is all that Family Guy did.

Futurama on the other hand is just genuinely funny, with hilarious characters and played more for decent stories than just gags.

Also, I'm a Futurama fanboy so I'm biased.

EDIT: but between Simpsons and Family Guy, definately the Simpsons. They did it more intelligently, and, above all, they did it first. They did it at a time when it was edgy for cartoons to be like that, and family guy, while I also like that show, is nothing but dozens of interchangable throwaway gags, and what's even worse, had 2 identically stupid shows, American Dad and The Cleveland Show, spawn from it.

The Simpsons is a series with a legacy of being one of the best cartoons of all time, with dozens of instantly recognisable characters. Family Guy has the legacy of two clones, one about rednecks and one about black people. Seth McFarlane is a complete one-trick pony, and I'm really getting annoyed by him.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 28, 2010,
Both shows went down hill and now neither of them is funny imo. Everyone i know who still likes Family Guy is a slack jawed moron who thinks that cheap, repetitive jokes constitute real humour. American Dad/Futurama is where it's at
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Quote by CoreysMonster
Futurama is better than the Simpsons.
South Park is better than Family Guy.

Simpsons lost it's edge a long time ago, it's not really pushing the bar anymore. After the first couple of seasons, South Park just came along and added a whole new level of vulgarity and violence, which is all that Family Guy did.

Futurama on the other hand is just genuinely funny, with hilarious characters and played more for decent stories than just gags.

Also, I'm a Futurama fanboy so I'm biased.

Pretty much this. I still watch the simpsons though.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
basically just asking which is the better show.

American Dad? Seriously? American Dad and the Cleveland Show are so bad. You probably like King of the Hill to?

And yeah, both shows definitely went down hill.

If I had to put them in order it would probably go

South Park
Futurama
Family Guy
Simpsons
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Sep 28, 2010,
I prefer Family Guy to all of them.
I never watched Simpsons as a kid, therefore never liked it. South Park is just idiot humour and Futurama is becoming the most overrated show on TV because of all it's fanboys.
I'm not a huge fan of either, Futurama and Southpark is where its at. But Family Guy humor is so..dumbed down, no offense. Its almost like you could peter with a historical figure, in some random location, and that's the basis of the episode. Just doesn't get me.
Frisky Dingo did it best.
Quote by Cat Of Pain
Bob, you're my hero.

Quote by borntorock2112
If drugs were PP points, I'd be using struggle.

Quote by illuminatiano

YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Aside from being animated they're not really similar at all, so this is stupid. And anyway, in its prime, The Simpsons was one of the best shows ever, definitely my favourite animated show. It's amazing.

It's pretty shit these days, but still better than Family Guy ever was.

South Park is pretty funny, but I don't watch it much. Futurama is hilarious.
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Sep 28, 2010,
Purely Family Guy vs Simpsons, definitely the simpsons. Much more of an intelligent plot than just slapstick comedy. Don't get me wrong, I like family guy, but Simpsons did it better. But futurama is best.
Quote by Momentosis
You guys are getting raped and killed?

Quote by jonathan666666

You win.

In The Amber
Come check us out!
also funny now to think that South Park had a "Simpsons Did It" episode

And if were talking all cartoons Aqua Teen would definitely be included in this list, but i wouldn't really compare Aqua Teen and Metalocalypse to these
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Sep 28, 2010,
Family Guy used to be funny, but now it's just pop culture references and lame, recycled jokes. The Simpsons can still be clever at times.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I prefer Family Guy to all of them.
I never watched Simpsons as a kid, therefore never liked it. South Park is just idiot humour and Futurama is becoming the most overrated show on TV because of all it's fanboys.

family was cancelled and brought back by DVD sales. Pretty sure it has just as many fanboys as Futurama. Not to mention the idiots that label everything Seth McFarlane shits out as "comedy genius".
Quote by connorusry
I'm not a huge fan of either, Futurama and Southpark is where its at. But Family Guy humor is so..dumbed down, no offense. Its almost like you could peter with a historical figure, in some random location, and that's the basis of the episode. Just doesn't get me.

I think this is a good point. Early family guy was really for everyone, it had a few good 'intelligence required' jokes, as well as the balance of just plain stupidity. Now it has zero intelligence, and is just plain stupid.
I feel American Dad, however, has successfully alienated itself from its mother-show and has become good television.
I think Futurama is pretty underrated in all honesty, i've not seen that many episodes though. I think The Simpsons has to be the best of them all (i'm actually watching it right now) because it's just so iconic and has changed television for ever. Family Guy was good untill they started to just re-use the same jokes over and over again. South Park is probably the funniest in my opinion however.
how is south park idiot humor? If anything i'd say south park contains a lot more thought than any of the other shows.

And for those who don't know, the south park guys actually write majority of the episodes the week they air.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by CoreysMonster
family was cancelled and brought back by DVD sales. Pretty sure it has just as many fanboys as Futurama. Not to mention the idiots that label everything Seth McFarlane shits out as "comedy genius".

It's really not. FG is the only humourous thing he's achieved, but it's more than just him working on it. Seth Green and Adam West are both brilliant in their own rights.
A lot of people like it, but you don't get all the brown nosed tools running around after it like you do with Futurama.
At least not around where I've been
Quote by SkepsisMetal
It's really not. FG is the only humourous thing he's achieved, but it's more than just him working on it. Seth Green and Adam West are both brilliant in their own rights.
A lot of people like it, but you don't get all the brown nosed tools running around after it like you do with Futurama.

No.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Seth McFarlane I would never call brilliant. He is a horrible animator (go watch his early shorts), has had ONE idea in his entire life (the characters of peter, brian and lois were the subjects of these said shorts) and has been reusing it ever since. He is also a horrible character designer, has no love at all put into his characters, and, even though I really enjoy family guy, when I'm feeling like just throwaway gag humor, but I couldn't give two shits about any of the characters.
I have never ONCE felt any kind of emotion or related to any of the characters, and that is something all the other three (simpsons, futurama and south park) have achieved on numerous occasions.
Seth McFarlane is good at what he does, which is gag humor, but he is NOT brilliant in any way.

Family Guy may be funnier than the Simpsons at times, but it's like saying a raw chilli is hotter than a curry. A raw chilli is nothing BUT spice, but a curry is a whole pallette of flavors, even if it is a little less spicy than a raw chilli pepper. I dunno about you, but I'd call the curry and the cooks who made it the superior dish and creators.

EDIT: okay, so I read wrong: Seth Green. Meh. Very, very meh.
The Simpsons...

Family Guy Has even plainly ripped of certain scenes or EP's just put their own twist on them.

I like both shows tho and can't hate anyone of them.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by handbanana
You probably like King of the Hill to[o]?

Are you suggesting you don't like king of the hill...?

On topic, Family guy's humour is almost unbearably stupid at times. The jokes don't even relate to the plot, they're all just "like that one time..." and then irrelevant flashback.

At least a good deal of the simpsons' humour was based on the plot, and the other jokes have at least some intelligence instead of "haha he's fighting a giant chicken"
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by Nexium
The Simpsons...

Family Guy Has even plainly ripped of certain scenes or EP's just put their own twist on them.

I like both shows tho and can't hate anyone of them.

I need to stress this here, I don't HATE any of these shows. But South Park, and especially Futurama and the Simpsons just are better, more well developed shows.