So, I bought a Pod Studio GX about a month ago. For a couple reasons, I decided to record into Audacity instead of the included Live Lite 7. I'm having some tone problems, though.

So, as I have it now, recording both guitar and bass, I have my line out going through my bass amp, and that always sounds great. When I record in Audacity and play it back, it sounds awful. I'm playing thrash metal, so I'm playing a lot of fast, overdriven power chords, which pretty much just run together in the recording. Bass is another story. It's barely audible, and if I try to increase the volume it just sounds flat, cheap, and crunchy.

So, what's my issue here? Does the line out through the bass amp improve the sound that much, or is Audacity destroying my tone?
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
So you're using your bass amp as your computer's speaker? That shouldn't have anything to do with your tone if everything else sounds fine on it. It also shouldn't matter what DAW you use. I'm guessing the issue here is the tone patch you're using. Would you mind posting it, or posting what amp/cab/mic's and different levels you're using?
Let's party.
I did some experimenting, I tried recording into Live Lite, I'm having the same problem, with the guitar anyway.

Also, I'm not using the bass amp as computer speakers, the bass amp is hooked directly to the audio interface. So, as I play I get it through the bass amp, playing it back I get it through normal computer speakers.

I tried a few different settings, including the Master of Puppets and Bring Me To Life presets, but the one I was using was a custom one with these settings:
Noise Gate (Threshold: -68db, Decay: 1%)
Volume (Minimum: 2%, Level: 100%)
Screamer (Drive: 50%, Gain: 92%, Tone: 98%)
Line 6 Insane (Drive: 64%, Bass: 65%, Middle: 72%, Treble: 90%, Presence: 91%, Volume: 48%)
4x12 Brit Celest V-30s
Compressor (Threshold: -8db, Gain: 0db)
Brite Room (50% across the board)
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
So I remade the custom patch you posted, and I sounds like crap on my end too. There's a horrible amount of noise even with the gate. What's causing it is the scream + insane amp. Turning the scream off gets rid of most of the noise, but then the insane amp still sounds like crap... I think that's the culprit here. If you haven't already gotten the metal amp pack, I highly suggest it, I feel like the insane amp is just bad news bears.
Let's party.
Quote by Mephysteaux
So, I bought a Pod Studio GX about a month ago. For a couple reasons, I decided to record into Audacity instead of the included Live Lite 7. I'm having some tone problems, though.

So, as I have it now, recording both guitar and bass, I have my line out going through my bass amp, and that always sounds great. When I record in Audacity and play it back, it sounds awful. I'm playing thrash metal, so I'm playing a lot of fast, overdriven power chords, which pretty much just run together in the recording. Bass is another story. It's barely audible, and if I try to increase the volume it just sounds flat, cheap, and crunchy.

So, what's my issue here? Does the line out through the bass amp improve the sound that much, or is Audacity destroying my tone?

If you're running your output into your bass cab you need to disable any virtual cabs in your DAW and VSTs or else it would be like playing a bass into a cab mic'd cab and the mic runs into another cab, therefor making it muddy.

Make sure your bitrate is at a high quality and at 44khz or higher.

Edit: Actually if you're running it into an amp instead of a cab then I don't know what's the point of using the GX in the first place because then you'd be running an amp into an amp wouldn't you?

Though you do need a basic, plain amplifier that boosts the volume and doesn't alter the tone if you're running your GX into your cab.

I really suggest you try Reaper as a DAW anyways.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Last edited by Clay-man at Sep 29, 2010,