Page 1 of 2
As part of my course at uni, I have to look at producers, and do an essay on one. So it got me thinking, who people's favourite producers are, and also, who they feel the most important/influential Producers are.
Don't worry, this isn't one of those do my essay for me threads, I was just interested.
I think Kevin Shirley does amazing work with Iron Maiden
and probably the best one for heavier stuff would be Adam D from Killswitch. He produces a lot of stuff and it all sounds great.
JordanFlayer uses:

Fender and Yamaha Guitars
Ernie Ball .11-.54 Strings
Marshall and Peavey Amps
MXR Pedals
Fender Medium Picks

Number 45 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club- 'PM Revelations to join

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /

he's not that great of a producer but i think Scott Burns would be easy to write about just cause he did so much work for the Tampa death metal scene.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Scott Burns
Tomas Skogsberg
Devin Townsend
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by ctfod at Sep 28, 2010,
Justin Broadrick
Matt Bayles is great (not just metal, but he's produced some of the greatest metal albums of the last decade)
Devin Townsend
Kurt Ballou (again, not just metal, but he's awesome)

First few that come to mind.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by romencer17
he's not that great of a producer but i think Scott Burns would be easy to write about just cause he did so much work for the Tampa death metal scene.

I'm actually contemplating writing about him actually. It all comes down to me being able to find stuff written about him, and his influence, and interviews and things like that for referencing.

Either him or Eirik Hundvin aka Pytten, who did a lot of classic black metal albums.
There was a 90's documentary on death metal I remember seeing, and there was a pretty long scene where they went to the studio and talked to Burns and shit like that, if you could find that it could help you
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
The Course is called Creative Technology, its a BSc including HND.

I can essentially pick what modules I do from 4 different courses, as long as they add up to a certain amount of credits. The Courses I pick from are Sound Engineering and Design, Multimedia and Web Development, Games Design and Special Effects.

But for all intents and purposes I'm just doing the Sound Engineering and Design course. As thats what I picked all my modules form this year. So first Semester this year, my modules are 'Post Production Techiniques', 'Electronic Music Comoposition' and 'Studio Techniques'

But last year I did a module called Internet 1, and a module called Games Evaluation from the other courses, but i decided to focus on SE&D this year, and due to the silly amount of pre-requisite modules it looks like I will be focusing on it next year.

But this producer essay comes under electronic music composition. I think its something they have thrown in to make the course more academic
Who needs a producer? Go the Varg Vikernes route.

[but really, I like self produced stuff. ]
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Scott Burns
Whoever worked Sunlight Studios
Mick Kenney
Steve Albini
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Haven't looked much into producers, but Peter Tägtgren comes to mind. Love that crunchy dirty production on post-2000 Destruction
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by Burning_Angel
Who needs a producer? Go the Varg Vikernes route.

[but really, I like self produced stuff. ]

I thought Eirik Hundvin did all the burzum albums

cheers tech death
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by eazy-c
Scott Burns
Whoever worked Sunlight Studios
Mick Kenney
Steve Albini

i kid i know from school got to intern at electrical. so jealous.
Rick Rubin's involvement with Schlayer's probably worth a mention, if only because he's well-known. Clean, stripped down.
Tomas Skogsberg
Harris Johns
the guy who produced Realm of Chaos
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Fredrick Nordstrom because the production on Dragon Slayer by Dream Evil is great, IMO.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Last edited by Helloween4Ever at Sep 28, 2010,
Andy Sneaps mixing has obviously influenced a lot, and he clearly has a style all to himself, wheras Fredrick dosen't. And Rick Rubin's technique seems to be "not know what the hell i'm doing". His records are awful quality.
Steve Albini, dude did Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Om, Umphrey's Mcgee, Mono, Neurosis, High on Fire, Gogol Bordello, Nirvana, Dysrhythmia, Helmet, ridiculous guy.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I second the Albini mentions, as he's also done loads of work outside of metal.

Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Rick Rubin might be a good idea too actually, especially given his cross genre appeal. I think ill look into him too.
True, but if you could go with a producer who's actually good, why don't avoid Rubin?
Quote by we_built_a_tree
True, but if you could go with a producer who's actually good, why don't avoid Rubin?

Listen to Public Enemy and shut up
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Well, I was more referring to his recent work. Obviously he wasn't half bad in the 80s/90s, at least when he stayed away from the metal.

TREEDIT: On second thought, writing about Rubin would be a good opportunity to discuss the loudness war, surely that would add something to your essay.
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Sep 29, 2010,
Entombed's 40 watt Peavey Amp.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I like Peter Tangtren's work on the Hypocrisy Albums and some Borgir albums.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.

This guy produces some great metal
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
How did you get a photo of my dick?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
That's clearly Jon's arse after you roughed him up Strangles
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Page 1 of 2