Hi,

I want a 7 string guitar, but really don't know anything about them; I've never really delved into the world of 7 strings before. Although the extended range now really appeals to me, especially as I'm getting into playing more metal.

So I was looking for some suggestions. I'll be using it to play metal mostly - i.e. downtuned chuggage and up high-shredding, in my case. I'm a student so don't have particularly much money.. Although I don't want to give a budget as as I said, I don't know how much to expect. So if you guys could just give some suggestions on a guitar which can do the things I'm looking towards, but at the lowest price for these capabilities, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by adstr123
Hi,

I want a 7 string guitar, but really don't know anything about them; I've never really delved into the world of 7 strings before. Although the extended range now really appeals to me, especially as I'm getting into playing more metal.

So I was looking for some suggestions. I'll be using it to play metal mostly - i.e. downtuned chuggage and up high-shredding, in my case. I'm a student so don't have particularly much money.. Although I don't want to give a budget as as I said, I don't know how much to expect. So if you guys could just give some suggestions on a guitar which can do the things I'm looking towards, but at the lowest price for these capabilities, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Check out some SCHECTERS... they have great 7 string guitars.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
The Ibanez RG7321 is a good place to start. It has a pretty workable neck (not bigger than your arm is like Schecter necks are, lol) and they can be found for around $200-$250 used, so it's not a huge commitment and if you get it used and don't like it, you can sell it back around what you got it for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It has a pretty workable neck (not bigger than your arm is like Schecter necks are, lol)

Surelly you must be a midget
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
I'll give you the advice I give everyone buying a guitar that's not their first: save your money. Especially if you just plan on playing by the numbers metal; having the extended range won't really do you any good. I can't tell you how many bands there are that don't even need the extra string. Suicide Silence and Korn are two notable examples. If you know your scales and your chords, having the low string can be a wonder. If you're not going to play it like a 7-string, however, you're better off just buying a decent 6 string and slapping on some thick strings.

I have a 7 string, and though I use it all the time at home for various kinds of music, I play in a death metal band. And to be honest, aside from not having to move scales around and knowing where the notes fall without having to think about it, I don't necessarily do anything with it I couldn't do with a 6 string.
Quote by NHECOS
Surelly you must be a midget

Nah, I'm actually 5'7". I just like to hate on Schecter necks because I just cannot play comfortably on them. I used to play primarily Ibanez though. I'm starting to get used to thicker necks now.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
How are the pups on the Ibanez? Never heard of Axis before....
But wow, that's awesome. Never expected it to be as cheap as that! When I type in 7 string guitar on google product search it comes up with this Schecter for £1600... That's like $2500 for you across the pond and I was like shiiitt. So that's a pleasant surprise
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by adstr123
How are the pups on the Ibanez? Never heard of Axis before....
But wow, that's awesome. Never expected it to be as cheap as that! When I type in 7 string guitar on google product search it comes up with this Schecter for £1600... That's like $2500 for you across the pond and I was like shiiitt. So that's a pleasant surprise

Most Ibanez pickups below the Prestige level are mediocre. The INF pickups in particular are not very good for clean playing. They sound rather dull. But if you're going to be using a lot of gain, they'll sound fine. That's what they were mostly designed for anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Buying used may be a good option for you to get a better quality instrument for cheaper.

Some popular budget 7's:

Ibanez 7321
Schecter Omen 7 (26.5" scale)
Schecter Damien 7 (26.5" scale)
LTD SC-207
Agile Septor Std 725
Quote by TsarBomba
I'll give you the advice I give everyone buying a guitar that's not their first: save your money. Especially if you just plan on playing by the numbers metal; having the extended range won't really do you any good. I can't tell you how many bands there are that don't even need the extra string. Suicide Silence and Korn are two notable examples. If you know your scales and your chords, having the low string can be a wonder. If you're not going to play it like a 7-string, however, you're better off just buying a decent 6 string and slapping on some thick strings.

I have a 7 string, and though I use it all the time at home for various kinds of music, I play in a death metal band. And to be honest, aside from not having to move scales around and knowing where the notes fall without having to think about it, I don't necessarily do anything with it I couldn't do with a 6 string.

Actually, Korn does utilize the 7-string. They tune to A. Tuning a 6-string to A would lose 7 semi-tones in the high register. And Korn uses their high notes a lot.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I know you don't want a Schecter, but if you can find a Jeff Loomis signature hardtail (NOT floyd rose), but that immediately. You can probably find one used for about $600~. It's a shame they discontinued the HT version and not the floyd model.
You wont find one in the UK for $600 used, but yeah very nice guitars!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man