First, don't kill me. I've done the googling and searchbar:ing.

My neck pickup sqeals like a pig whenever I use it with more gain than what the Beatles used. That is, whenever I play something by Opeth or even Iron Maiden and stuff like that. No problems on the clean channel. This is not feedback, as I get normal feedback as well, and this squealing continues while I play.
I've used this guitar with a couple of amps, both valve and solid state, so it's not the amp.

Any ideas of what it might be, and what to do about it?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Probably a wiring issue. If you feel comfortable enough, pop it open and take a look. Otherwise take it in to a shop.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
Probably a wiring issue. If you feel comfortable enough, pop it open and take a look. Otherwise take it in to a shop.

How could wiring cause this? Sounds a bit wierd, and the wiring's fine, checked it earlier.

I'll just hang around here for awhile to look for more answers. Thanks!
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
singlecoil?
Gear

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Fender Stratocaster HW1
Squier Vint mod P-bass
Boss DS-2 distortion
electro-harmonics "Small Clone"
Roland GA-60 combo amplifier (nickname "Nap attack")
Quote by prevenge178
singlecoil?

Humbucker.

Quote by james4
sounds like your pickup's microphonic.

what kind of guitar is it, what kind of pickup (if it's aftermarket), and did this only start happening recently?

It's no-name SG knock off. Unknown humbucker. I don't remember if it's happened before, might have. But afaik it started about two weeks ago.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by AtaBorMan

It's no-name SG knock off. Unknown humbucker. I don't remember if it's happened before, might have. But afaik it started about two weeks ago.

definitely sounds like it's microphonic, then

your options are replacing the pickup, re-potting it, or keeping your gain super low.

the last option isn't very reasonable if you're playing Opeth and Iron Maiden, and it may not be worth the effort to re-pot a cheap unknown pickup (though 'worth' is subjective, so it's really up to you)...
so just replacing the pickup may be your best option.

if you wanna keep it relatively low budget, maybe look at something like irongear or guitarfetish pickups. they're both well known for being decent quality at a fairly low cost
Quote by james4
definitely sounds like it's microphonic, then

your options are replacing the pickup, re-potting it, or keeping your gain super low.

the last option isn't very reasonable if you're playing Opeth and Iron Maiden, and it may not be worth the effort to re-pot a cheap unknown pickup (though 'worth' is subjective, so it's really up to you)...
so just replacing the pickup may be your best option.

if you wanna keep it relatively low budget, maybe look at something like irongear or guitarfetish pickups. they're both well known for being decent quality at a fairly low cost

No really big deal then, as I was going to replace the pickups anyway sooner or later. Just a bit sooner for this one.

Thanks for all the help!
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz